Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had lots of good kills, mostly Hondas and Acura civics(integras), but I was impressed to beat a Taurus SHO about a month ago. We jumped off the lights on the highway near where I go to school - the SHO was dead even with me until I hit 3rd at about 100kmh. Then I just pulled on it - by the time the speedo read 150 the Taurus was about 3 car lengths behind. I read on the net those cars boast 225 bhp. MY car is an 82 with minor mods - K&N drop in, 3' ram air, 2.5inch exhaust, no cat, single chamber muffler, AC pulled out and a bit of weight reduction. I really wonder about these american HP claims.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The engine was designed by Yamaha.

I think it's funny that you wonder at the "American" horsepower claims (as if nationality has anything to do with it) yet don't consider the weight of the car. It's power/weight ratio that's going to dictate the performance of a car to a large extent.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Good kill :) I remeber getting spanked hardcore by a SHO once in my blue mk2. Turnes out it had a supercharger and custom coilovers with big ass sway bars. He made my mk2 look like an SUV as we were racing through the twisties :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yamaha eh?

I did not know that. I'm aware of the importance of power to weight ratio. How much does an SHO taurus weigh? I still have to wonder, because those GM J body cars (cavaliers and such) claim 140hp (only 5-10 less than an early MkII) and weigh almost 500lbs less, yet they just can't keep up. Whats that about?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Could be gearing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
its a ford... thats all its cursed wen the blue oval is plac

thats all its cursed wen the blue oval is placed on the hood..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: Yamaha eh?

Jay said:
I still have to wonder, because those GM J body cars (cavaliers and such) claim 140hp (only 5-10 less than an early MkII) and weigh almost 500lbs less, yet they just can't keep up. Whats that about?
Toruqe!! 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmmm, My Parents used to have a '90 SHO...FUN Car t drive, although with FWD didn't handle the curves near as well as the MKII, Plus the damn thing went through clutchs like nothing else....before I Bought my MKII I Had the chance to just take the SHO and fix the Clutch and whatnot.....if it wasn't such an unreliable car I prob would've.....anywayz..there supposedly a mid 15 second car from the factory....thats what I've read anywayz...I'd think twice about running against one in a stock MKII...

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
cavaliers i thought were close to 2800 pounds... might be very wrong.

most of them are auto, even the z24s, and the autos are slow.

the SHOs are something in the 3200-3500 pound range, and i dont belive theyre really geared for stoplight the gran prix.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Gearing plays a BIG role. my buddy has a 5.0 stang, auto. I guess the thing weighs around 2800 lbs, but it just doesn't move! This, I found out, is due to the 2.8x something rear end!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yah, that 5.0 should kill you on top end though. Im gonna race my new employee's 89 5.0 real soon, and I figure I can beat him off the line, but Im guessing he'll catch me real fast.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah, those SHO's aren't too slow actually. The older style automatic V6 SHO's do the quarter mile in around 15.6 seconds stock with some magazines even stating down to 14.9-15.2 for the manuals. The newer automatic V8 SHO's do about 15.9 s quarter miles, of course with manuals they're slightly faster. Yes the older style SHO's do compete (and win in most cases) with the older 5.0 mustangs. Sad huh? Fords own family car beating it's own "muscle car".
Although now it's a bit different with the automatic V8 SHO's doing about a 15.9 and the newer Mustang GT's doing the quarter mile in the low 15's. ..

rambles on and on....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts