Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, yesterday I swapped the Mk III Master Cylinder onto the Black Supra. I decided, that once I did that, to put everything basck together and give it a test drive, so I could compare the brakes before and after the swap, with nothing else changing (unlike the last swap where I did it, along with new calipers, pads and rotors...)

.. I still stick my by last assessment. The Mk III mastercylinder, with no other changes, took about 15 feet off of my stopping distances. Then , once I flushed the system and added in the Castol GTX synthetic brake fluid, it decreased by another 5 feet or so...


Next, comes the Addco/Tokico/(springs yet to be purchased) swap on the front of the car... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,840 Posts
Excellent news,thanks Bob.My donor car just happens to have an almost new master cyl. on it.Into the parts stack it goes :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
woah, sweet. and my housemate's parting out his mk3 and it has a newish master cyl! woohoo!

any big differences with how the pedal feels, bob? firmer/softer, more travel?

wonder how compatible it might be for people with those huge ass wilwoods with a bbk?

shiva
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Well, yesterday I swapped the Mk III Master Cylinder onto the Black Supra. I decided, that once I did that, to put everything basck together and give it a test drive, so I could compare the brakes before and after the swap, with nothing else changing (unlike the last swap where I did it, along with new calipers, pads and rotors...)

.. I still stick my by last assessment. The Mk III mastercylinder, with no other changes, took about 15 feet off of my stopping distances. Then , once I flushed the system and added in the Castol GTX synthetic brake fluid, it decreased by another 5 feet or so...


Next, comes the Addco/Tokico/(springs yet to be purchased) swap on the front of the car... :)
Bob,

Good to hear that it actually makes a difference. I was thinking of trying it about a year or more ago and most said that it wouldn't do much. I assume you are still using the mk2 booster?

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shawn... the swap is damn easy. Unbolt the old one, bolt the new one in and you'll see how the lines need to be persuaded to connect... Plus it just looks a damn site cooler than the stock one ;)

Shiva... The pedal feels about the same or maybe just a bit on the firmer side (tho that may be just wishful thinking on my part.. I'll let Malloy drive her and get his opinion). What ya will notice is that you'll find yourself stopping short of where ya expect to the first couple of times ya stop.

MA61_Turbo (sorry..don't know your name), everything else is either factory, or OEM direct replacement. The calipers are refurbashed stockers with "good quality no-name pads" that came with the calipers. The only other change is that I used fresh Castrol GTX Brake fluid. Its synthetic that "exceeds dot 4 specs" (according to the bottle). I've used it on a few other applications, and found it to hold up REAL well...

Not that I think it matters, but just in case it does, the one I am using came from a 1991 mk III Turbo. I don;t think they changed the Mk III master Cylinder, but just in case they did.. I figure that may be an important piece of info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,062 Posts
wonder if the master cylinder from a 90 toyota v6 4x4 truck will fit. they have 4 piston front calipers stock. that would prolly be a good setup for the wilwoods.
william
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,643 Posts
williamb82 said:
wonder if the master cylinder from a 90 toyota v6 4x4 truck will fit. they have 4 piston front calipers stock. that would prolly be a good setup for the wilwoods.
william
Hmmm....My girlfriend has a 90 toyota 4x4 :twisted: "I don't know what happened to your truck! Those damn kids these days!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,062 Posts
i dont have a truck. the master cylinder for that specific modle truck prolly has a larger piston so would push more volume since it comes stock with 4 piston calipers. if running wilwoods all around it would be a nice upgrade.
william
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,062 Posts
oops, just caught you were making an excuse for your gf already. lmao.
william
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Supra Bob said:
MA61_Turbo (sorry..don't know your name), everything else is either factory, or OEM direct replacement. The calipers are refurbashed stockers with "good quality no-name pads" that came with the calipers. The only other change is that I used fresh Castrol GTX Brake fluid. Its synthetic that "exceeds dot 4 specs" (according to the bottle). I've used it on a few other applications, and found it to hold up REAL well...
Cheers for that info Bob :D

BTW The names Dave, check the sig :pat:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
I thought the idea was to swap the booster and master cyl from a MKIII? I swear the car that I saw converted also had used the MKIII booster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
is this the BRAKE CYLINDER or the CLUTCH CYLINDER that you all are talking about? judging by what was mentioned about "stopping distance" I assume it's brake cylinder.....but just wanted to be clear (I have leaky brake fluid somewhere and might swap brake cylinder if it's faulty)

if brake cylinder...is it the entire brake booster or what parts?
 

·
Supra since '86
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
wonder if the master cylinder from a 90 toyota v6 4x4 truck will fit. they have 4 piston front calipers stock. that would prolly be a good setup for the wilwoods.
I'm pretty sure the m/c in my '87 truck is the same as my '85 Supra. Not sure if it's really an upgrade though if they're the same...
i dont have a truck. the master cylinder for that specific modle truck prolly has a larger piston so would push more volume since it comes stock with 4 piston calipers. if running wilwoods all around it would be a nice upgrade.

From a 4X4 supplier
The stock Pickup and 4Runner master cylinder on 1979 - 1995 rigs are designed for discs brakes up front and drums in the rear. It does not have a residual valve for use with rear disc brakes. Without a rear residual valve in the system the rear disc pads expand after braking. This causes excess peddle travel the next time you step on the brakes.
As written above not a good idea to use the m/c from most any Toyota trucks. I've been working on something though for a few weeks with the help of having a 4X4 Tacoma to use for reference...

More if things work out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ma61_turbo said:
BTW The names Dave, check the sig :pat:
:pat: sorry.... Blond moment :D

Yes, we are infact talking about a brake master cylinder. and it is JUST the master cylinder.. the booster, to my knowledge, won't work without some significant mods (or so the source for the idea told me... and while he may be a dipshit about some things :wink: ... he knows his Mk II's and III's).
 

·
Supra since '86
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
Anyone try a MK4 master cylinder on a MK2? May work well with BBKs, MK4s do have 4 piston calipers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its possible, but again, you would have to do a bit of custom work. The bolt pattern is different, as I recall, and you would need to fabricate some kind of adaptor for it... plus, I'm not sure the brake lines would be able to be used.. you may need to have refabricated metal brake lines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Supra Bob,
The mkIII booster will fit with no problem, it is ~2" bigger and a close fit, but no modification is required to get it into the mkII. I did the mkIII booster and master cyl. upgrade about this time last year along with ss lines and DOT 4 fluid - so I can not really tell which gave me the best gains. However, I would like to think that a 2" larger diaphragm will provide more force for the master cyl to work with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Mark 3 Booster/M/Cyl swap

Hi guys,

I read this with interest and was wondering what the difference between the 2 master cylinders was, and what was the reason/goal in changing them ?

I am in the process of upgrading the brakes to 330mm fronts + 300ZX 4 potters, and 300mm rears with 2 potters, and was wondering if this would be beneficial for me ?

Looking forward to some additional ino

Cheers

Michael B
 
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Top