Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so has anyone on the form done a 2JZ swap into a MK1?
i'm thinkin that's my next project now that the 7M swap into the 85 Celica GT-S is complete.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
2JZ-GTE... Stock 320hp crank, or modded????

Read the postings from Damon Saul about his 7M-GTE conversion & the traction problems he was having at the drag races. Nice to have tons of power, but it's kind of useless when you can't get the power to the ground, due to wheel hop problems. Rear suspension setup on a MKI is NOT the same as a MKII, MKIII or MKIV.

Food for thought. Hope you can get this conversion done!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't need to read the posts i was in the car, thanks for the heads up though, i'm building it w/ an auto trans that shuold help w/ the traction issues a little bit. also i had a nitrous oxide powered 81 celica 2xR hybrid w/ plenty of mods, so i'm definately familiar w/ wheel hop and blowign through diffs. and Damon's 7M powered MK1... i can still remember how that thing felt the 1st time i rode in it, i was shaking when i got out, i couldn't belive how fast it felt, and it was a lot faster b4 it's tragidy. 12.2 1/4 if i remember right. besides the 2JZ swap isn't so much about the power or the time slips, it's more about having something different that other people don't have. like my 85 celica GT-S w/ a 7M-GTE swap, i know there's a couple out there but the only other one i've ever seen or heard about is in cali and i'm in PA (kinda around the corner from Damon, 20 minutes) so our paths will never cross. i'm in it for the rarity and the look that poeple get on there face when A.) they get a look under the hood and/or B.) the look on the kids face when his civic gets compleatly destroyed by a car that isn't even making any kidna of real effort to win ::):

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Tom - I've always been very vocal about how I think a JZ swap into the MKI would be a bad idea at best. All the problems I had w/ my MKI would just be worse. To get the car to think about 'working' is going to require a near complete reworking of the suspension, brakes and chassis. Going auto will help you from trashing rears as often and alllow you to keep both hands on the wheel - but it'll still be out of control. It took me years of trying different set ups to get where it was at... Also - there just seems to be something wrong w/ doing a swap w/ a motor that is worth 3X as much as the car.
Sometimes things havent been done yet for good reasons...

·
Registered
179 Posts
if this guy can handle a turbo nose-heavy celica, then i shouldn't think he'd have any problems with a mk1
whats your definition of out of control?
like when one slams 2nd gear in a hahi with a diff in the rain and doesn't lift?
but it couldn't be THAT bad with a long wheelbase n all

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there's an 81 celica outthere running 9's. its' gotta be posible through fabricating and stiffening to make teh car stable enough to handle a 2J. it's not gonna happen over night but it'll get there at some point, untill then it's gonna more of a show peice.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
if this guy can handle a turbo nose-heavy celica, then i shouldn't think he'd have any problems with a mk1
whats your definition of out of control?
like when one slams 2nd gear in a hahi with a diff in the rain and doesn't lift?
but it couldn't be THAT bad with a long wheelbase n all
I assure you that Tommy's 7M celica is nothing like my 7M MKI - two completely different animals all together - the few inches of wheel base have nothing to do w/ it. And amazingly, an M series motor in the '82-'85 celicas doesnt change its characteristics as much as you'd think - they handle like stock. His celica is a low-mid 13 sec car - my mild 7M MKI went 12.2 spinning and hitting fuel cut - a BPU 2J will be an easy 400+ HP, and in a 2500-2600lb MKI will have the potential to get into the 10s - I certainly dont think just cuz he can 'handle' his celica, he naturally will be fine w/ a 2J MKI - that is a drastic difference. There are quite a few members on here that can give you their impression of what the MKI is like w/ some power. I'm not positive what you are saying here exactly [when one slams 2nd gear in a hahi with a diff in the rain] - but my MKI could easily spin the tires from a roll in 4th gear, on dry pavement.. After alot of suspension work, I got it to actually hook up 1/2 decent w/ DOT slicks but the car was still a serious handful. There are many write ups on my whole MKI set up and upgrades but its simple - one can not expect an outdated chassis to handle 300+ HP w/ out alot of work.
BTW, my definition of 'out of control' is a car that scares me... My MKI scared me - I completely respected its power every time I drove it; I'm not trying to say it was not fun but I never took it lightly. I have the same exact set up (drivetrain wise) in my MKII right now and the car is not scary in the slightest; and it has much less work done to it overall than my MKI had - MKII is just a better car all around.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
there's an 81 celica outthere running 9's. its' gotta be posible through fabricating and stiffening to make teh car stable enough to handle a 2J. it's not gonna happen over night but it'll get there at some point, untill then it's gonna more of a show peice.
Tommy - if you are going to build a dedicated track car, thats one thing - but you are talking about having this be a street car right? I'm really not trying to discourage you - you're going to do what you're going to do - I just think its alot of trouble and work just to have something 'different'. Not that the MKII is the best platform on the planet for huge power or killer handling - but it certainly has tons of potential and is light years beyond the MKI right out of the gate. Also - it doesnt make as much sense becuz the weight difference between the MKI and MKII is marginal, so the weight benifit will be minimal as well - especially when there are so many other draw backs that will need to be addressed. Going from the MKIII makes a huge difference as 1000lbs is worth almost any of the drawbacks - just seems like the hard way to go about things to me. Anything is possible - and the MKI w/ enough work will do whatever you want it to - but it would take much less work to get the same results in a MKII. I know there is something about having something that is rare and all - but its not like the MKII JZ swap is common. Good luck w/ whatever you end up doing - just be careful man.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assure you that Tommy's 7M celica is nothing like my 7M MKI - two completely different animals all together - the few inches of wheel base have nothing to do w/ it. And amazingly, an M series motor in the '82-'85 celicas doesnt change its characteristics as much as you'd think - they handle like stock. His celica is a low-mid 13 sec car - my mild 7M MKI went 12.2 spinning and hitting fuel cut - a BPU 2J will be an easy 400+ HP, and in a 2500-2600lb MKI will have the potential to get into the 10s - I certainly dont think just cuz he can 'handle' his celica, he naturally will be fine w/ a 2J MKI - that is a drastic difference. There are quite a few members on here that can give you their impression of what the MKI is like w/ some power. I'm not positive what you are saying here exactly [when one slams 2nd gear in a hahi with a diff in the rain] - but my MKI could easily spin the tires from a roll in 4th gear, on dry pavement.. After alot of suspension work, I got it to actually hook up 1/2 decent w/ DOT slicks but the car was still a serious handful. There are many write ups on my whole MKI set up and upgrades but its simple - one can not expect an outdated chassis to handle 300+ HP w/ out alot of work.
BTW, my definition of 'out of control' is a car that scares me... My MKI scared me - I completely respected its power every time I drove it; I'm not trying to say it was not fun but I never took it lightly. I have the same exact set up (drivetrain wise) in my MKII right now and the car is not scary in the slightest; and it has much less work done to it overall than my MKI had - MKII is just a better car all around.
guys, he's definately not just blowing smoke out of his ass here, they realy are two compleaty different worlds between my 7M celica and his 7M MK1. my celica still handles almost ecxactly the way it should w/ eth 22re in it (or atleast i think ti does i bought the car w/ no motor . butit does esily out handle my 85 celica GT w/ the 22re). to be honest the onyl reason the thought of building a 2J MK1 doesnt' scare teh living shit outof me is bcz it's not gonna be a monster drag car, it's gonna be a stock 2J in there just for tooling around from time to time and more for show then anyhtign else. eventualy i'd like to build it into a track car that will rarely see the street aside from cruises and soforth. if i do decide to build a beast-like street car out of this it's goin to take alot of time and Money and i'm not sure if i would run out of motovation b4 it was done or not. so at this point i think its' just gonna be a basic swap to cruise aruond and show off more than anything else. aside from beating on teh occational hon-duh.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Just seems to be a lot of money to invest into a cheap car... and the tough way to go about it especially since the MKII would take less work/ money to acheive the same results. And I dont think you realize that just going about putting a 2J into the MKI will end up being a BPU set up - it does not take much to make real power w/ the 2J; you'll be making 350-400HP w/ out even trying... and thats about 200 more HP than the car can handle w/ out getting into some serious mods. It took me a week or so to initially build my turbo MKI - but it then took me years trying to get the rest of the car to catch up w/ the power. I'm just thinking of the money you'll need to invest aside from the cost of the motor and initial swap - susupension, rear, brakes and chassis (cage, bracing, etc..). Individually each catagory can add up quicklly - all together you're looking at a fortune. You get a big raise at work Tommy ? LOL

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just seems to be a lot of money to invest into a cheap car... and the tough way to go about it especially since the MKII would take less work/ money to acheive the same results. And I dont think you realize that just going about putting a 2J into the MKI will end up being a BPU set up - it does not take much to make real power w/ the 2J; you'll be making 350-400HP w/ out even trying... and thats about 200 more HP than the car can handle w/ out getting into some serious mods. It took me a week or so to initially build my turbo MKI - but it then took me years trying to get the rest of the car to catch up w/ the power. I'm just thinking of the money you'll need to invest aside from the cost of the motor and initial swap - susupension, rear, brakes and chassis (cage, bracing, etc..). Individually each catagory can add up quicklly - all together you're looking at a fortune. You get a big raise at work Tommy ? LOL
i got a raise recently but not a real big one:hahano: it would certainly be a timely project. another alternitive is i could trade you for that black MK2 :mymk22: yuo offered to sell me b4.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
trade me what? You already have a MKI?
E-mail me some pics...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
trade me what? You already have a MKI?
E-mail me some pics...
i picked up a MK1 about 2 weeks ago. 81, 5ME. needs a trans kickdown cable.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
Is the car at you house? I gotta run to harbor freight, maybe I could swing by and check it out. Send me some pics in the mean time....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the car at you house? I gotta run to harbor freight, maybe I could swing by and check it out. Send me some pics in the mean time....
i didn't bring it to the house yet. its' just sitting in storage for now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
crapy pics

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ah yes poo poo brown, the only way to go, haha. it's funny when i repaint it's gonna stay brown. i'm keeping the same color scheme. i acutally like it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
well before you do the 2J swap, make sure you get all the proper permits and clearances from the local regional Toyota Rep ;) Don't ever buy a yellow or brown car. Yellow never looks good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so has anyone on the form done a 2JZ swap into a MK1?
i'm thinkin that's my next project now that the 7M swap into the 85 Celica GT-S is complete.
I want to swap too but most of mecanics also. I dont mind the power this would be reliable vintage gem. I have a pretty much rust less white eighty-one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts