Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been recently experiencing some odd electrical problems w/ my 1980 MK1, which i believe to be a short but am not positive.

Within the past 3months I've had to replace my alternator 3times do to not fully charging my batt. The new alternator would work for about 3to 4 days or so then just stop putting out a full charge. Of course since I can not purchase a new alternator, all three have been rebuilds_

Could i possibly be getting ones with a faulty voltage regulator or could it be a short??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also noticed another odd symptom 2 days ago.

Shortly after starting my car i noticed my wipers(while not on) moving up slightly and back down, and doing this intermittently every 45seconds or so and would stop after a few minutes of driving.
Then later i heard a clicking noise from what seem to be the wiper motor, and noticed my volts rapidly moving up and down. Which also stopped after a couple minutes.

Possibly just a motor on the fritz or a more serious problem??

·
Registered
131 Posts
m on the way to work but i start now quick. It there is a short. Start the car and start pulling fuses for accessories that are not needed and observe and see it the alternator starts charging. Then pull the next fuse and observe Get rid of all that is no absolutely not necessary and see what happens. One at a time and observe better yet put a meter on the battery and see how each fuse pulled effects the voltage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also have the Toyota Service Manuals and electrical Schm for the car. Get me an Email address and ill Send them top you on PDF.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Get the electrical schm for the car, then start unpluging different things then pug them back in and move to the next item. might be the best way to tell what is the problem, check charge lamp relay also.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
If you need a good wiper moter, let me know. I have the motor, and also a good alt.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Now this is just me and is probably a trait I inherited from owning 50’s cars but I wouldn’t trust an AutoZone or any other remanufactured alternator. I take my alts, generators and starters too a rebuild shop locally. Most places have one near by. I have never had good luck with remanufactured electrical parts. I once went through 4 alternators for an old Datsun I had until I got a good used original. That one lasted till I sold the car almost ten years later.

Now that’s not saying you don’t have another issue that’s going on as well. If you think you are “burning them up” then do a little hunting like the others mentioned first. Then get an original alt and have it rebuilt.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dude, when I saw your location, I nearly fell out of my chair.:naughty: Bring it by pleeeeeeeeaaaaassssee. We will put the multimeter to it and see what we can figure out. I have not known a local MK1 guy since 1988.
PS: I dont know it all, but I am a semi-retired master mechanic. PM me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I used to own a 1980 Supra brown like yours that was bought new in the DFW area.
I think it was 1994 when I sold it, curious if it could be my old one, it had a headlight issue where I had a burned terminal at the connector underneath the steering wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, Really thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully with the help of Derek we can track this problem down..

Will post later when we figure out whats goin on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh sorry mike didnt read your message till now. No i'm the 2nd owner of this car the one who bought it from the dealership was my grandmother believe it or not

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I used to own a 1980 Supra brown like yours that was bought new in the DFW area.
I think it was 1994 when I sold it, it had a headlight issue.
I had an '80 too.
Check the headlights.
Remove each one and check if the wires are pressed into the metal . IT was like that with mine.
The metal edge cut through the wire where it plugs into the bulb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts