Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys won't mind a V12 swap amongst the V8s.

I almost got a 1UZ swap running then found a 1GZ on Yahoo Auctions Japan, instructed an importer to bid and then shock! I won.

They are a strange beast, 5.0 Litre quad cam, 48 valve, drive by wire twin throttles & twin ecus.

Many may not have seen much of them so I will start with some engine pics.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Wow! This is going to be interesting...

What transmission are you planning on using? Custom exhaust? I'm assuming it's out of a Century. Is it? Did you get the wiring harness and the two ECU's with it? Are you going to run a stand-alone? Is the engine bay large enough? It's hard to tell from the photos how big it is...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sweet Jesus! I was just thinking about this and wondering about the possibilities myself just this morning.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
YES! I have been waiting for half a decade for someone to attempt this swap.

...consider me absolutely interested and I will monitor this thread daily.

*edit*
Scoped your photobucket, hotlinkin' your progress. ...apologies if you didn't want that revealed yet, but I won't say I'm sorry.

--BillyM

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the engine only comes in the century and they are only intended for Japan.

There are a handful of engines in AU and maybe 2 century cars, the owner of one would like to get an engine for an MA61 but so far this would be the first.

I have the looms, ecus, throttles and afms, the only thing I need is the accelerator pedal/electrics for the drive by wire, hopefully some other Toyota product will match.

I asked my local dealer about parts before I bid, he tapped a few keys and up she comes on the screen, an exploded view of the engine with part numbers, but he was unsure how cooperative Toyota Japan we would be.

A supra A80 is under construction in Sydney, they bought an auto bell, 10 weeks, because it had to be made (Very low production numbers/hand built engines) however it was $500AUD, about the same as for other Toyota cars.

Trans will be T56 with matching clutch/flywheel from GM 6.0Litre V8 and rear end is a complete Mk3 A70 irs "G" diff already installed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Its good that you posted this up. This site just had to see it. Wonderful progress

Time to pull a BillyM

Its just a tad bigger than the 1UZ

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
That engine is the SH!T. Even if it experiences a mechanical or electrical failure on one side, you still have a 1JZ with a 6 cylinder air pump along for the ride. I'm pretty sure it should fit as it is as long as a 1JZ and as wide as a 1UZ. It's going to require relocating a lot of things, though. I can't see the pictures here at work, but suppose I will be heading straight home tonight to check this out.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The 1GZ isn't as big as you might think, that photo is a bit misleading. It's a 60-degree vee so surprisingly compact for a 12 cylinder engine.

I'd be interested to know what it weighs; being an alloy block I reckon it wouldn't be any more than a 2JZ for example.

For interests sake this is what mine looks like:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow you have a Century? I didn't even realize you were in Australia till now. how much better a luxury feel is it over the LS400/Celsior?

/end thread jack

Yea the 60 degree v12 wont be wider than the 90 degree v8

1 - 20 of 393 Posts