Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a newbie so please excuse my ignorance (ask me anything corolla related and i bet i can answer)!

wandering whether any mk2's come with a live axle :?: (as in NON I.R.S)
knowing that some ta63 celica's do.

will the differences between the supra variants swap (bolt in) to a similar model celica? eg ma61-ta63, like bonnet, guards, flares, bumpers etc

reason:
im a nut for oldskool rolla's but there comes a time where power is needed to extend the length of drift. :twisted:

i very much like the idea of a 1jzgte ma61!!! hell of a lot easier than 1jzgte ke70 :shock:
parts are not so much of an issue in NZ

a BIG thanx in advance for easing my research :D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
All Mk2 Supra's come with IRS. The Supra is completely different to the Celica from the firewall forward, but most other stuff is interchangeable with the exception of rear suspension (ie you can't put IRS in a live axle Celica, not without a lot of fabrication work anyway).

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Okay,

Curious, in NZ, do the 82 - 85 Celica's have the T series motors??? In North America, they had the R series (22R's & 22RE's), thus they are RA Celica's here.

The 2nd Gen Supra bodies, to my knowledge, have not had live axle (non-IRS) rear ends. AFAIK, all GA60's (w/ the 1G motors), the MA61's & MA67's (with the 5MGE motors), and the MA63's (w/ the M-TEU motors), all had the IRS rears.

A 1JZ MKII has been done already. Check w/ Frank in Australia.

Bumpers, bonnet's, fenders, etc are different. Flares are also slightly different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers norbie & cjsredpra

irs only for mk2 supra :!:

so what your sayn is the chassis from the firewall forward is different between the ta/ra6# celica and ma/ga6# supra -meaning i could not buy a celica and get supra guards/bumpers/headlights etc and bolt them on the celica??!??! :cry:

i like the live axle because the camber stays the same when drift or drag'n.

i think the 22r only came out in america/canada??? we in nz are rhd same as japan so we get imports galore straight from jdm. since about early 80's we have had a huge influx of imports, so much that most of our cars are non other.
yes we have both ra and ta celica's. 2tgeu, 3tgteu and 18rgeu powered. and also ma61/ga61 celica/supra's. kinda lucky really. but they're getting scarce now coz our weather has high humidity and usually 10-25 degrees celcius so rust is a major problem.

NZ'ers into oldskool toyotas are generally poor (like me). if you've got money, why play with 20-30 year old cars when you could buy a jza80 twin turbo or s15 specR-2??

cheers again

·
Registered
123 Posts
The chassis from the firewall forward is heaps different! I once thought I'd have a go at grafting the panels from a GA61 onto my RA60...but they are totally different and dont come close to fitting.

As for the camber, dumping a MA61 on its arse would mean a fair bit of negative camber on the rear, just like a S13 Silvia, good for breaking traction in a drift...probably not the best thing for a drag though! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dang there goes my dreams :roll:
probly easier now to remove the ma61 irs and graft in the ta63 live axle mounts and shorten a hilux 8" along with a 1jzgte... one day

cheers again

·
Registered
85 Posts
just thought I might throw my 2 cents in this one...
Celica GTS's are IRS :lol:
what exactly do you want? live axle with power right? what's wrong with the live axle Celica GT? You might be able to shimmy a Supra 5MGE in the engine bay OR ( because that's a lot of weight ) get the 22RE or RTE, either way, the aftermarket parts available for the 22REs are staggering

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problem with live axle celica's is they're all 4cyl. the best rwd 4cyl turbo motor is the 3tgteu which comes factory in them.
22r(t)e? not many of em in NZ. don't think they're that powerful to start with.
im putting a 3tgte hybrid in my ke70 corolla anyways which is lighter and smaller than a celica and will be good for quite a while but... thinking of the future im eventually going to want to upgrade to something i can compete with the big boys with their skylines, cefiros and silvia's etc... meaning i need something with balls! a reliable 250+hp on tap for instance. a 3tgteu will make that with a turbo, intercooler and injector upgrade but reliability will be reduced. and i thrash the living crap out of my cars so it has to handle it.. the 1jzgte being a torquey turbo engine with enough grunt from factory oh -and seems to be a hardy beast (according to zoom magazine) meaning it will be the perfect power plant for drift -and is reasonably easy to get hold of compared to a 'good condition' 3tgte. the other thing is age. the 3tgteu is 20 years old and very dated! whereas 1jzgte can be found with low km's and are still being produced. only problem is i can't fit a 1jz in my corolla without major firewall hacking. handling would be affected too with the extra weight on the front. sooo....
looking for a donor car which is as small as possible but has big enough engine bay to fit the 1jz and running gear strong enough to handle power. the ma61 i think is the only car suitable but i was also thinking they had a live axle option until i started researching them... im a fan of small haulers too so a jza70 is getting too big for my liking. (im a short ass btw). oh and expense is a big factor in the buildup too and ta/ra/ma/ga6# celica/supra's are within my price range being 15-20 years old etc. parts are plentiful in the local wreckers too..
enough ramblings..
see ya

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Mark.. I have seem 7M-GE's fit into mid to late 70's celica's wioth room to spare... I see no reason why a 1J wouldn't fit to a celica also.

·
3,283 Posts
AE25 said:
NZ'ers into oldskool toyotas are generally poor (like me). if you've got money, why play with 20-30 year old cars when you could buy a jza80 twin turbo or s15 specR-2??
Well, that just sucks... the last we got was the S14.5 in 98. I've seen pics of the S15 and think it looks pretty badass. too bad they have stopped importing the JZA80s and S series.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Mark,you may want to look into an Altezza clip.3sge-vvti,and a 6 speed :shock: I have seen them in the US for around $5g's

Knowing you giys can usually beat up on those prices,might be a viable option. I know I want one for a freak show I have in mind 8)

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
if i had to go 4 banger and for reliability at high output, 3sgte all the way. my buddy has an 88 celica alltrac and with a 3in exhaust, k&n air filter and 12 psi of boost, he could smoke all 4 tires pretty easily. cant wait till he finishes the build up on the 92 motor. hes gonna put a t78 on it. hehehe. i think an early to mid 90's 3sgte with the lexus 6 speed would be badass.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
williamb82 said:
if i had to go 4 banger and for reliability at high output, 3sgte all the way. my buddy has an 88 celica alltrac and with a 3in exhaust, k&n air filter and 12 psi of boost, he could smoke all 4 tires pretty easily. cant wait till he finishes the build up on the 92 motor. hes gonna put a t78 on it. hehehe. i think an early to mid 90's 3sgte with the lexus 6 speed would be badass.

The problem is in getting the rwd trans.The ONLY place I have found a rwd bellhousing for the 3sge is in the Altezza,so far.I'm sure there are other,but nothing in the USDM that I can find :(

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
AE25 said:
looking for a donor car which is as small as possible but has big enough engine bay to fit the 1jz and running gear strong enough to handle power. the ma61 i think is the only car suitable but i was also thinking they had a live axle option until i started researching them... im a fan of small haulers too so a jza70 is getting too big for my liking. (im a short ass btw). oh and expense is a big factor in the buildup too and ta/ra/ma/ga6# celica/supra's are within my price range being 15-20 years old etc. parts are plentiful in the local wreckers too..
enough ramblings..
see ya
It seems like an MA61 is the car for you, but why do you want a live axle so bad? I had all live axle cars before I bought my MA61, and I have to tell you the IRS is better in every way. There's certainly no lack of traction, as I found out yesterday when I took my 2JZ-GTE Mk2 for its first proper drive - no wheelspin, it just hooks up and goes really fast! And if drift is your thing, any Mk2 owner will tell you these are the perfect drift cars. I really can't see the addition of a live axle being an improvement...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
arg yeah theres nothing wrong with irs. better handling etc. im not a big fan of c/v's for 1. i'm used to driving live axled cars (rwd corolla's) and the lack of traction is probly what i love the most. tho i would think the outside wheel gets the traction just like the front (if the macphersons are setup the same)
For drag use the live axle is better. i have yet to see a mk3-4 supra get a good launch! bit of a pig off the line me thinks. the croydon's mk4 is in the 12's (i think) but it takes off so freakin slow.. like as if he doesn't bother to accelerate in 1st for traction is non existant. -lots of scope for improvement if it were to be compared to reece mcgregors 8.27sec gtr :oops:
anyways yes i think an ma61 is a great idea...
just got to complete my current projects first :roll:

6cyl into an oldskool sleeka a bit of a squish. a friend has a 1ggeu into his ta22. personally i wouldn't want to do it as i like to keep things simple (easy to work on). tho the power is there :)

as for an altezza front cut, no choice but to wait for prices to drop. they're sort-after and near brandspankin so theres no way i can afford.
but one day :idea: :lol: dreams are free

rwd 3sge :) yes the only ones built that i know of are from either altezza or lexux rs300(?) -(same thing) other options are to modify an sa60 1s-u bellhousing as some come with a w55. also a 2c diesel with w gearbox is basically the same thing and have heard a few other engines eg 3y(?) can possibly mod'd to fit. mods incl milling 5mm from front of bellhouse face to locate input shaft to spigot bearing and relocating starter to r/h to give more room for the turbo.

theres a neat vid of a recent grasskhana i attended, the clips match the music too so its quite good i thought. i drive the patchy red permanently sideways ke70 (2tgeu) and the green ta22 is the 1ggeu powered one.
http://toyspeed.blakjak.net/grasskhana/grasskhana.wmv

peace

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Looks like alot of fun but....not enough MK2 content :) that little bit was just a tease. At least it was drifting :D

-Wil

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
AE25 said:
i have yet to see a mk3-4 supra get a good launch! bit of a pig off the line me thinks. the croydon's mk4 is in the 12's (i think) but it takes off so freakin slow.. like as if he doesn't bother to accelerate in 1st for traction is non existant.
Actually... most of that is from turbo lag. Most of the Sup's running below 12 are on big singles which lag like theres no tommorrow.... So most of first gear is just them workin on building boost...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My Mk2 launches really well with the 2JZ, and that's with 225 street tyres. The Mk3 and Mk4 have much better IRS than the Mk2 (double wishbone vs trailing arm) so they have heaps more grip off the line... I agree with the post above, big singles make for slow launches but huge top end speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
every car has its own traits.. like i for some inexplicable reason cannot stop my ke70 axle tramping :evil:
the mk2 in the vid above was the tidiest one ive seen yet. owner probly on this forum for all i know. he only took it for a quick skid. he's built a 7mgte(?) cressida also.. great guy to talk to :)
more info on the croydons mk4 here
http://www.croydons.co.nz/supra.htm

i say no more :cry:
peace

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just to note, you cant fit a 5m moter into an 80's celica - not without chopping off the front end anyway. maybe without a rad or fan it would fit, but otherwise its gonna stick out about 6 in. too far.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts