Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

MK2 at Pinehurst Concours d'elegance

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  lajst18592 
#1 ·
For the first time, Japanese Classics is a recognized class at Pinehurst Concours d'elegance car show at Pinehurst Golf Club in Pinehurst, NC. It is about time that we get some love from the big boys. The old Supra has seen fun times and tragic times but was reborn to represent the my family's journey and memories of those passed. With her story, and the car, front and center she came in 1st place in the Japanese Classic class. With some spectacular competition this was totally unexpected to say the least. And in addition, it took the Chairman's Award which represented the top pick of the Concours by the student judges, which a great apprentice program to teach the next generation of judges.

The event was a 2 day event. Friday we cruised in the "Iron Mike Rally" to Ft. Bragg to spend the day with our soldiers. I've always had the utmost respect for our service members but seeing them in action and hearing their stories is humbling to say the least. What an honor to spend a little time in their world.

Many thanks to the Celica Supra forum community (4 of which were at the show) for making it possible to keep these cars on the road. A special thanks to ray85p and Linchmob for getting the last minute parts I needed to fix a broken seat belt release and to install the old school air intake.

[/URL][/IMG]

[URL=http://s174.photobucket.com/user/memories83/media/IMG_0712.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w93/memories83/IMG_0712.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#3 ·
Awesome! One of episodes of Dennis Gage's My Classic Car started with a scene where he's walking down a line of like 1930's coach-built cars and other high-end exotics getting ready to drive on a tour and right in the middle of the line is a mk2 Supra, looking quite like a fish out of water. But its great to see the mk2 and other Japanese classics getting the respect they deserve.

I spectated at the Concours of Texas a couple of weeks ago. They moved it to a park in Arlington next to the Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys stadiums this year from Houston because they thought Dallas Fort Worth area would be a better location. It was the first time I've gotten to go to a real Concours type event after seeing many on TV. They didn't have a Japanese class, but interestingly, the Nissan Heritage Collection brought three vintage Datsun pickup trucks.

I loved how at the Texas Concours event they actually drove each winning car up to the stage to receive its award and said a few words about it. Did you get to do that?

#6 ·
Big congrats to you, you very well represent the MK2 community.

In our area, the Granby Internationnal also have a Japanese category, and yes, the cars have to drive on stage to receive their award.

#9 ·
Whoa, this is awesome! Congratulations. This is a major award but doesn't even come close to how hard you have worked to get the car to this condition. Having seen this car in person, it is truly a thing of beauty.

#10 ·
This makes me sooo happy!

Congratz, I love seeing the mk2 , and all J-Tin get this kind of recognition, and yours definitely deserves it.

Hopefully this will become a more common occurrence.

I was fortunate enough to show my Supra at The Greenwich Concours a few years ago, and it was a great experience... mostly favorable reception, with only a handful of uneducated sneers.

I recall a guy approaching me saying he worked for the Ad Agency that had the Toyota account back then, and that he helped create the campaign with the exclamation words at the bottom of the print ads. He was shocked when I pulled out my binder of old ads with all his work shown. He further shared a story that Toyota gave his boss a Supra as part of compensation. The fellow I met borrowed the car from his boss one weekend... and it was stolen, never to be seen again.

Im showing my 1976 280Z at Greenwich this year.

Please come say hello if you are local to CT on Sunday June 4th.

#12 ·
With the other Jap cars, most all responses were positive except when we were exiting the award stage and my wife overheard this lady say "...that's a damn Toyota". My wife reacted without thought with "Yep, a damn winning Toyota". We're use to these type of comments so we let it roll and got a good laugh out of it. It is good to see the Concours recognize that these cars are just as important as any Euro car and that a whole (aging) generation grew up with and still love these cars. the Chairman's Award surprised me the most as it was the top pick of the student judges from ALL cars. Considering the amazing cars at a show like this it was good to see that level of attention by them to these "affordable" cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.