Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im trying to figure out if I should modify my car or keep it as stock as possible. I'm not sure if the value would drop if I would mod my Mk2? Any input on what the approach I should take here?

·
Founding Member
6,367 Posts
You're going to get all kinds of opinions, but the one constant is that the cost of any modifications will never give you a decent return on investment. In fact, most modified cars sell for less than they would if they had been left original. Its only a handful of professionally done, extreme high quality cars that ever sell for more than their stock equivalent. And I'm judging by the plethora of muscle cars that have been turned into "pro touring" cars where they replace all the antiquated technology like leaf springs with coilovers, a 3-speed with a 5-speed, worm gear steering with a rack & pinion, etc. Yes, those things add value because they make it more comfortable to drive in modern traffic, but the Supra already has all those things and while you can improve the performance, its not a quantum leap like it is for cars from the 1950s or 60s.

As my generation, the guys who got their drivers licenses about when the mk2 was Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year, as we approach retirement age, we tend to want original cars just like the ones we coveted when we were young and too poor to buy one. If we wan't modifications, we're likely to want specific modifications to our personal taste and not what some previous owner did to it. Most car collectors don't even buy them to drive, rather most buy them just to check off that box that we finally got our youthful dream car. Almost none of them will ever see a race track and our spouses would retaliate if we brought home a ticket. So the money is always in the nostalgia, not in modifications.

Not to dissuade you however, as long as you don't cut, drill, weld, glue, paint or otherwise irrevocably alter original parts and don't throw anything away, then you can have it both ways. As a general rule of thumb, if the car can be returned to stock in a couple of 3-day weekends, then you've lost nothing other than what you've spent on the modifications. Carefully box up and label whatever parts you take off and store them safely where they won't rust, rot or melt.

But remember that there are very few original mk2s left and they are still being taken out periodically by tornados, garage fires, and other calamities. There's no parts available to restore one. Meantime, Gen X is fast approaching retirement when they'll finally have the time to play. Supply going down and demand going up. (Barring a recession which would only be temporary).

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm with Phil on this one, but with some caveats. If your car is clean and rust-free with relatively low miles, stock makes the most sense. If you've got missing trim, rust issues and 200K+ miles, you might as well mod it and have fun.
I was in this boat last year and have decided to keep her stock and make her shine like new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that would be the case, most show room cars are always usually basically what they were when they left the factory. To keep if pristine like it was before Im going to try to restore it as much as I can without having to change much. May throw on a turbo, coilovers to give it a different ride height, and wheels until the day I possibly want to sell it. Since I am only 19 though I have already been telling myself to keep the car until I die. It is missing some trim and has some issues with the motor (lifter tick I think) but it runs great and the body is completely straight. Only rust would have to be where the paint is chipped and it has started on the surface. The mileage is 194000 which is where I am having to contemplate which direction I really want to go with it. A cool swap would be fun once the 5mge dies but Id like to keep that in there.

·
Whistles
1,053 Posts
Yep. Condition should determine that answer, unless you really want to mod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. Condition should determine that answer, unless you really want to mod.
[/QUOTE]

What would you say since the car has 194000 miles?

·
Whistles
1,053 Posts
Mileage does not establish condition, although correlated. Things like regular maintenance, interior preservation, body rust (main issue seen), paint condition, engine/drivetrain health, and so on, actually means more to value than an odometer number.

If the vehicle was garage kept, mostly highway miles, never abused, rarely driven in rain, etc, matter.

Mine sat for too long while I was away in the Army. So I slightly upgraded a few things, and kept the stock sway bars. ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mileage does not establish condition, although correlated. Things like regular maintenance, interior preservation, body rust (main issue seen), paint condition, engine/drivetrain health, and so on, actually means more to value than an odometer number.

If the vehicle was garage kept, mostly highway miles, never abused, rarely driven in rain, etc, matter.

Mine sat for too long while I was away in the Army. So I slightly upgraded a few things, and kept the stock sway bars. ?
That makes sense. Im gonna have to have a mechanic run through the engine for me, Cant figure out whats causing the ticking sound haha. Im thinking of maybe doing some bolt ons and lowering it a bit to give it the style Id like. Gonna get the paint redone this spring and get to making her beautiful again

·
Super Moderator
8,313 Posts
Do you what you want to its your car. It's not like these cars are rare priceless exotics. Cars are generally poor investments in general. It's like saving your girlfriend for the next guy.

·
Founding Member
6,367 Posts
Yes, usually people with high-mileage cars aren't asking this question so I was assuming it was already in pretty nice shape. The one picture didn't look bad, but internet pics are often deceiving. The description makes it sound like it would be too expensive to restore and probably also pretty expensive just to preserve in its current condition. Sounds like its going to soon need lots of work and will be cheaper, faster and indeed necessary to use aftermarket and adapt other non-original parts just to keep it running and driving. If you gotta use non-oem part anyway, then it might as well be a high performance part, right? Just beware that any money you spend on performance modifications is money that you are not likely to ever get back on a future sale. The safest investment would be to just make minimal repairs as necessary but since it sounds like its not really going to be a candidate for a serious collector, then no one is going to criticize if you want to modify it.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
I modify my cars because I keep them a decade or longer.I'll do it to my taste and to hell with resale value-I'll never sell it.Intake,exhaust. Not lowered or have aftermarket wheels.Rebuilt engine and it is a daily driver.Comfortable and reliable is what I go for.Some upgrades here and there.Looks externally stock,except for side skirts.It's my car and I do what I feel like."Make it better" ,is just me. Thanks for the post and the photo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts