Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
dave

CSF MK3 Al rad is out of production. I called them right after i hada fan go threw my csf..... Now im Koyo baybe.... O free bay price is $325 to $350 + shipping . Got mine to my door forr $409

Grate Thred
Dave,..I just want to say that car you build is just awesome, and i use the pic for my desk top.(i hope you dont mind.) You sure did your home work on your car.My goal is to try to get my car to look like yours. JJ

·
Registered
827 Posts
MK2 Radiator
Length.... 25 1/4" Long
Height.... 15" Tall
Thickness... 1 1/4" Thick
Fins which is the only Difference in all 3 Radiators 44 Fins X 2 since its a 2 core Radiator so you have 88 Total

Griffin Radiator
Length...25 3/8"
Height...14.3/4"
Thickness...1 1/2"
Total fins are 58 X 1 since its a Single core raidator so you have 58 Fins total. It looks to be a pretty much stock radiator with the Exception that its AL and it has less fins then the MKIII non turbo Radiator and Definitely less that the turbo Radiator. Priced at $325.00 in the group buy It should be ok but Im thinking the MKIII Turbo or Non turbo Radiators will do just as well if not better. Its made to be a Direct Bolt on to the MKII Supports so the Dementions arent any Different.
This seems to be the exact radiator for the group buy ... according to the reviews the radiator is far superior to any other radiator listed here yet it hardly matches up on paper. I must not understand how a single core is better than a 2 core ... or even a triple core

Any input? Or am I just ignorant? I did some searching and I can get a stock replacement for ~$150-$200 ... so $425 for a Griffin single core or ~$495 to get a stocker recored for a triple. The prices are so much more and I'm sure the performance is way better but I'll probably have my 5mge for 5-8 more years before I think about an engine swap so there's no need for the extra cooling just yet. Ahhhh, decisions ... it seems to me that a stock replacement is the way to go at the moment. But I'm such a sucker for Group Buys on model specific items. :faint: All I need is a nudge towards the Griffin and I'll probably shell out the money but I think I need some persuasion.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Basically, that Single core radiator outflows most due to the single core huge fins. It allows more water to flow through the cooling fins because they are larger and the radiator itself is wide core wise.

If you are planning on Sticking with the 5M or even the 6M then there is no reason I would say that you would need to Upgrade your Radiator unless you are going for looks.

Ive been looking over most of the radiators again and what I have found is that most of the cooling fins get smaller the larger the core is. Im running a HASTE radiator at the moment and its a 3 core radiator and my CSF radiator which is a 2 core actually holds more coolant than the HASTE does. Only thing better about the HASTE is the tanks are bigger.

If it was me and I wanted a good radiator without dishing out a ton of money for a All Aluminum one then I would just take the Stock MK2 radiator and have to converted to a 3 core. Basically and if you do the math since a Stock MK2 radiator has 88 cooling fins total then Adding a extra core will bring it up to 132 fins which is the size of most aftermarket radiators anyways, And before anyone here states that you cant put a 3 core into a Stock MK2 radiator, I have one and my friend Jake (ABQMK2) has one also. I can guarantee you that you wont have any cooling Issues with that radiator mod. We paid $225.00 complete for ours and we can still get them made but turnaround time is about 2 to 3 weeks. They hold over 2 gallons of antifreeze / water which is more than my 3 core HASTE full Aluminum radiator Holds. I have 2 Extra Stock radiator here that Im thinking about getting another 3 core done.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for clearing things up Robert. It's much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No problem at all, If you are looking or interested in the Upgraded MK2 Radiator with the 3 core, LMK and I will see if the Price went up any much. Im sure it did some but It shouldnt be anywhere close to the Price of all the others.

Robert

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yup, Robert is right...the guy that came up with adding and extra core to the stock rad, I must say he is a GENIUS ;)...LOL....I have it...it looks stock...fits stock...but cooools waaaaaay better than stock :)
Hey Brotha Jake,

Lets see what the Prices is since we both got our radiators built by the same person. Im sure it increased some but I dont think it will be close to what the full Aluminum radiators cost. Might be able to hook a few members up if the price is right. I have 2 Extra Radiators here that I can spare to Part with.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I needed to replace my radiator a few years ago, and didn't have time for the few week turn around the rad shop wanted to rebuild mine, so I bought a MKIII Turbo PWR Aluminum rad.

I have had no cooling issues whatsoever, even living in Kelowna for a few years (gets very hot in the summer) I couldn't bear to sit in the car, but it wouldn't overhead ( 44+ celcius).

Just curious if you overlooked the PWR rad? or why you didn't compare it to the others.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ive looked at the PWR Radiators and all I can see is that they look no different that most radiators out there. Could they have just put there stamp on it and is calling it there own like probably 75% of the Full Aluminum radiators out there these days.

PWR1973 86-92 Supra 2 row $605

Vividracing.com has them for $477.00 and these are a 2 core radiator 52mm thick. Say that they cool 20 to 30 Percent better than the stock radiator does which all full Aluminum radiators have that statement behind there Product. Im not saying that its a good or bad radiator, There are just too many companies out there Stamping something that they themselves didnt produce. But for the Price, there are Quite a few Radiators out there that will do the same thing for $100-$150 less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got onto this strand, re radiators. Son has 83 stock panda, and in Arizona. Experienced some heat problems, naturally. Pulled rad had it rodded, left it stock. Put in a new fan clutch, stiffer than original, sends mucho air into engine comp. Water flow improved, cooling situation fixed. Gas mileage ... well, who gives on that one if you're drivin a Supra.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Anytime you rod a 20+ Year old radiator its going to flow better. Depends on what the Previous person used as coolant and all. I only use toyota Red since its recommended. As for the fan clutch, Did you go back to a Stock one or a Different model.

I live here in el Paso so I can Surely justify things when you say that the heat is bad.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Should be fine but from what Im seeing, you will have to Fabricate Support mounts for the top since the Stock ones will not mount.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a Question, If I buy a 7MGTE Radiator for an automatic, will the tranny oil cooler inside the radiator will fit on my 5mge automatic tranny cooler line?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
As I have never had an Automatic car but from the looks of both radiators, Im 99% sure that they are the same and you should have no Problems with lines connecting. They are the same thickness.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
remember that the NON turbo 7MGE automatic cars have the W58 Tranny so there isnt going to be any Issue

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Um, I know what you meant, and it wasn't W58. Edit?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hey Robert,

You still in contact with the place that did your radiator recoring? ... or 3 coring? and if so, could I get their info or would you be willing to work with me? This is my dd so shipping my rad off for a few weeks won't work. But I'd be more than willing to buy one of your spare radiators!

Thanks! :)

-Keith

·
Registered
12 Posts
question in terms of mounting...

Does the jza70 (mk3) supra rad mount the same as a mk2?

does anything need to be done bracket wise to fit the rad or should it bolt up?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
pretty sure he covered that in the beginning. if you re-read you should get your answer. you do need to modify but it is easy and worth it.

No Mishimoto on the list? how do they stack up to the rest? i have one that i got from one of my mk-III dooners. it looks a little bit rough but seams to cool very well and it even came with original warrantee papers!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts