Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got my MKI running decent enough, now I want some new seats. My sister used to have an '89 Celica GT-S, and I loved the seats in that thing, they were NICE. Now I realize that this would not be a direct swap, but has anyone done it? If not, what seats are you using? Pics?

I've got a MP3/CD player I'm putting in the dash, there's a spot that's been cut there by the previous owner. My question is where are the speakers in this thing, and what size are they? Are they tough to replace/upgrade? What are you guys running? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Sam,

Have no idea if the 89 Celica GTS seats will fit.

Damon Saul over on the East Coast was able to retrofit a set of MKII P-Type seats into his Black 81 MKI. Can't remember his email addy at the moment, not sure if he's here on the forums either.

The MKI speakers are on the left - right corners on top of the dashboard & underneath the "Celica" speaker grille's behind the back seats. I "think" they are 3.5" speakers, not real sure of the size. My 81 Silver Slug still has the original 3-piece OE Fujitsu system & everything still works & I don't plan on changing the system out. This is another one of those things I'm keeping original in the Slug. The MKII on the other hand, has a nice 12 year old Alpine system that was installed back in 91, that I'm still happy with, so I have "one" Supra that has a decent sound system in it.

On the other hand.... I am looking for a 81 Gray Cloth seat bottom for my drivers seat... Clean w/ no stains would be nice, BUT it must still be intact w/ no rips!!!!! Dry rot is ruining my driver seat bottom (long story).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a stock driver's seat, gray cloth. It's pretty clean, but sadly, it has some wear and tear. Got any pics of that MKII seat upgrade? I think it's possible that they may be the same as the Celica seats I'm thinking off.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Damon isn't on this board yet...

I'll PM you with his email addy Sam, and you can talk to him directly. Just a warning tho, he can be a bit hard to get ahold of.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bob, I'll shoot him an email. I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade the seats, the school year is drawing to an end and so are my fun tickets ($$$). This summer when I make some money, though, it's on!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI the front speakers are 4x6s :shock: I haven't looked at the back ones yet. The seat thing is getting put on hold for a while, as I'm a broke bastard. Damn, this car is fun to drive :-D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I gave my friend my old worn front seats and he welded them into his oldsmobile boat :D (not a boat...just an old BIG car). They actually look good in there, even though you are now practially sitting on the floor and my size can barley see over the dash, but welding is always an option if your any good at it or have someone to do it. Just try and get at least one bolt to hold before you weld it in...it will give it a bit more strength. They do hold strong tho 8)

·
Registered
174 Posts
ok, while theres a thread about mk1 audio, Id like to throw this in.
since its cheap, and dosent involve cutting any holes, or removal of the stock system. all the components in this stereo are relitively cheap, but I was EXTREMELY thrifty in aquiring these components which ultimately led to the final price

my mk1 still has the stock tape player/am/fm raido in it... and I wasnt one who enjoyed buying CD's but enjoyed insane heart stopping bass that 25 watts per speaker did not provide.

so, I got a hold of a 2 channel alpine 300 watt amp from a garage sale, and a EQ/preamplifier that boosted the signal by something like 12db that was made sometime in the late 80's (I know because my dad had one JUST like it when I was like 2, and he got me to move the EQ bands because the nobs had fallen off and his fingers were too big.)
and then fed all four channels from the tape deck (because It was the easyest to get at, and luckly, the radio functioned through the tape deck.) through the EQ and then the the corrosponding speaker, so the fader and balance still worked.

now for bass... I bought some RCA cables, and a wal-mart electronic crossover with a 12db bass boost at one of THREE frequencys! 20 bucks cdn! (my friend said he had one he would give to me... didnt find it untill I baught mine... so I lied, took his, and sold it.) now, preouts didnt exist when this car was built, so... I had to make believe. I chopped off one end of the first set of RCA's and soldered that end to the right and left speaker wires in order to get sound. after that I hooled the wal mart crossover to the yard sale amp mounted the crossover under the seat, where I could reach it to change the many settings, and mounted the amp on the sub box which housed a 12 inch alpine 150 watt rms sub that my friend had given me because he thought it was blown. turned out, It just had sand in the connections from too much off road play in his corrolla.

now the end product was the worlds loudest stock tapedeck with two knobs. *self proclaimed... Im sure there is louder* the raido sounded great too, and there was no tape hiss.

prices
Sub - Free
Crossover and RCA's and pack of chocolet coverd peanuts - ~ 20 bucks
Wiring - All speaker wire, and all found behind TV in a big ball. 2 hours to untangle. so, almost Free
sub box - Made out of an old coffee table - Free
EQ/Preamp - I don't even remember where I got this thing. but after one look at it, it couldn't have cost more than 20 bucks.
300 watt amp - Garage sale special, haggled em down to 25 bucks. its really nasty looking... I don't think its worth much anyway, but it works great for the Free sub.

total price $65 and the look on peoples faces when they saw me plug in a "mix tape" was worth every penny.

All the system needed was a CD changer mounted somewhere in the rear but I couldn't find one at a yard sale, and Ive heard bad things about the wal mart ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts