Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(several searches / hundreds of thds) I didn't see this topic...

Is it possible to have a Supra Registry on this site? not sure how it could work, but just need the basics (could be more):
Year:
Model:
Engine:
Trans:
Color:

The end result would be to know how many MKI/MKII's there are here, and what the make-up is. (possibly also include values...I know very subjective)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
+1 for that. almost like a library of the supras that are alive out there. production numbers vs survivor numbers. east cost vs west cost numbers. pretty cool idea

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
How could it be maintained well enough to be accurate ? Look at how often these cars actualy change hands or get totaled/parted.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
How could it be maintained well enough to be accurate ? Look at how often these cars actualy change hands or get totaled/parted.
hmmmmm... i think there is enough brain power on here to make up something. could be updated every few months or when a new buyer comes along he/she can register the car along with a seller/wrecker.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
well at the very least it could be used to track who had which car at some particular point. probably a good idea to include vins, unless that's a risk for some reason.

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
There was a mk1 registry, lost the link though. And I know of several mk4 registries...

I think it would be wisers to keep to our own generation if we were to actually do a registry.

·
Super Moderator
8,135 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I could probably make one for mk1/mk2 only, I have the web space available, and it probably wouldn't be to hard to make the script to post up your car... could even make it easy to "search" either by year, color, sunroof or not, if its something that would be used ill do it, just let me know what you want to see... my last idea crashed so I'm looking for a reason to keep my website other than a fast ass download site.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Vin # + year/month of manufacture and then detail such as drive train and detail.... But then you get into modifictions such as motor changes and paint.. Could get messy. Anyway I would be interested.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The registry would be easy. The server could hold the complete VIN number, but block off the last four to five digits to the public, since those are the ones that are mainly different on cars. And if someone enters a vin that already exists, it could just add that person on to the list of owners that is tagged to that vin.

VIN HERE -
owner 1:
owner 2:

then have the various info about the car after the owner, since the owner would/could change stuff about the car. engine, tranny, paint, etc

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
There was a mk1 registry, lost the link though.
Is it the one that some guy started on the MKI Yahoo list several years ago??? If it's the same, the last time I checked 2 years ago, the link is now dead. Bummers, since I had registered both of my MKI's there.

I'm all for a registry, but I'm also in favor of keeping out the sequential build# out of the VIN. Yes, our cars are old, but it still does not certain scumbags of the world from doing a VIN# trace, finding a current registered owner = location & suddenly something has happened to your car. Something I'm slightly paranoid about.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI the alien Supra registry works, and I agree with Slip/Dean that it would be nice to have the registry "in-house"

And agree with Prof. Chris - keep the VINS out of it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I never thought about the Vin #'s, then again in my part of the world (or maybe just my world) it's not as much of a concern.....as I often leave my key's in the car and don't lock my door's at night!
Would everyone be content with the year and month of manufacture instead of the Vin # ?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I can't even remember doing that registry. I'm the second one on the list.

I would vote for it.

So who makes the changes around here?? My thread (couple threads down) about adding a for sale section in the MKI section hasn't got anywhere..

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Like many have said it would be nice to know how many of a production year were left in existance. Although it would be complicated.

At least for the Fourum something simple would be nice. Maybe add the Production number to?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts