MKII Airflow / Pressure Rendering / 2D Model - 56K GO HOME
I'm in the process of creating pressure, temp, mach, airflow/streamline, density renderings for the MKII Supra. This is so those of us consindering chopping up our hoods for functional
vents can place them in the proper position. Also one of my "bucket list" goals is to set a land speed record in my MKII. So that being said..
I'm working right now in MicroCFD, pretty much the only Windows based Virtual Wind Tunnel program I can find. It's a bitch to use, clunky, not really up-to-date, not all that configurable for sub-sonic applications, and uses a simple but DUMB-ASS shape file system where each points coordinates are listed (took me an hour and a half to manually create the damned shape file clicking one point after another typing the coordinates into Excel).
However it makes pretty pictures that make it idiot obvious where to put a hood.
Some people have pointed out that SMCars.net might have 3d models of MKII's... They do not. They have 2d blueprints.
IF ANYONE HAS A 3D MODEL OF A MKII SUPRA LET ME KNOW
do 3d rendering but I went to school to 1st fix computers, 2nd to do bomb disposal. Spending weeks of my life creating a beautiful 3D render of a MKII is not what I call fun.
I also plan on using the Linux based FENICS virtual wind tunnel. It does a LOT better job, dealing with 3D so we can see how the rear hatch spoilers function, how a modified rear spoiler would function (better or worse) depending on app. etc.
Now for pictures. Right now I have MicroCFD doing number crunching for the next 15 hours while it comes up with 1/10th of a seconds worth of Realtime wind-tunnel data. That's right at this rate it's going to take aobut 15 hours of data processing to create .1 second of realtime data. >.< Too bad it doesn't support clustering so I can run it on multiple PC's @ once.
For the goods... I wasted damn near about 5 hours of my life so far on this ...
The Celica XX Blueprint I started from.
The massive AI (Adobe Illustrator trace)
Never seen this posted before.... I didn't use it as it's not proportionally correct. Look @ the nose of the car... and the camber obviously
- Can we get T-shirts made of this that says NOT A FUCKING DeLorean!!
Flow Tests Done @ 76.1 MPH
50 Line Streamline
100 Line Streamline
Static Mach (Wind Speed)
Much more data processing is needed. I'm going to try to get this to do number crunching @ 120mph, for about a week or so. Be very useful for thos drag racing types. That means 168 hours of full-time, non-stop cpu load, however it will hopefully let us get some more stable flow animations to better interpret where pressure zones & what pressures are @ a constant speed. Right now this animations are what happens in .1 (1/10th) of a second (accord to how I'm interpreting setting this up, I'm still new @ this).
Enjoy the results. Hopefully this should give people a better idea of where to cut holes in their hoods for proper ventilation, as well as what kind of side skirt/underbody aero might help them get better traction/times.