Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a used automatic transmission, so my MKII would at least run. I was wondering would the MKIII automatic tranny fit on MKII's? Are there any conversions I gotta do?

Thanx guys for any help you can provide.

John

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
What year is your MKII????

There are 3 different tranny's that we're talking about here in this subject.

The 82's have the A43DL, which is not a electronically controlled tranny.

The 83 - 86's have the A43DE which is a electronically controlled tranny.

The 86.5 - 92 (US spec) MKIII's (both the NA & turbo) used the A340E tranny. Don't know of anyone who is running a A340E in their MKII, unless it was a 7M conversion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My MKII is a 85, and has the A43DE and has a 6MGE block/head. Do you know if I can switch stuff around from my A43DE to the A340E so it would be compatible?

Thanx

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Welp, that's the question that I would like to know also. I don't know of anyone that has tried this yet. Many peeps wanting to ditch their A43Dx for a W58 5-speed, but swapping Auto A43DE's for a A340E (even temporarily)..... :oops: Wish I had a better answer. :oops: I "think" the size dimension (lengthwise) is different, but don't quote me on this.

Others???????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NEED QUICK HELP ANYONE

Are MKII 85 auto tranny and MKIII auto trannys compatibale? Any switching arounds?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You can swap them and it will work, but the MkIII transmission is semi-electronic so the overdrive won't function. You could probably find some way to install the MkIII ECT at the same time, but I don't know anyone who's tried this.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
isn't it that the 85 MK2 w/ A43DE tranny is also a semi-automatic tranny as well as a A43OE from a MK3... have to check on that if it is compatible on the tranny book

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey i got an 85 automatic will it work with out the electronics pluged in?????? :?: i have a bad w58 that still hasn't been repaired. can i just hook up the oil lines to a cooler and have all gears except overdrive????? :?: i've really been thinking about putting it in BUT don't want to if it's not going to work. please let me know cuz it's pretty much do or die right now with this car. if it works i will keep it if it don't it might just go to the junkyard or to some body thats needing a great car that has a w58 laying around. and yes the automatic is longer you will need to have the drive shaft 2. different trans crossmember aswell. just fyi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts