Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the posting about Auto Crossing a MKII it seems as though its not the greatest car for the job. WEll what about Drifting?. I mean it IS the big brother to the Corolla. (AE86) both in size and power right? It seems like a good idea to me. Ive been debating weither to keep my car or sell it and buy a 240sx. Either way Id be drifting it. The 240 doesnt allways come with a LSD with is a bit of a let down. The MKII has a LSD, and I have a MKIII turbo as a donor car for a spiffy new engine.

Anyways what do you all think? Can the MKII with the 7MGTE make a good drift car? Lets hear it.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
the mk2 is already a bit front end heavy to be a good drift car. That can be fixed but a 7mgte will do quite the opposite. The mk2s biggest downfall as a drift car is its pathetic steering ratio, 18 to 1! Makes it pretty much imposible to engage a drift without power oversteer or dropping the clutch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"bigger" brother yes, but AE86s have a better power-to-weight ratio and alot better balance. plus my car is a corolla its cheaper on insurance and I can find tons of aftermarket parts for my 4age. Downside? stupid low ball offers on my car cause its a Boro Hachi.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
actually a corolla gts has a worse power to weight ratio (at least usable power to weight, a stock 84+ mk2 will beat a stock GTS in a straight line, and the things are torqueless wonders), and a worse weight balance (at least with the coupes, ours weighed in at 54/46). Actually in my opinoin stock for stock the GTS is a worse drift car then a mk2. Most don't come with LSDs, which right there pretty much makes them impossible to drift, and their light weight, solid rear axel and front end weight bias make them fairly twitchy in drifts. At stock ride height they can be just down right scary, espically with an lsd. Now take a GTS, lower and stiffen it, give it an LSD and things start to turn around in a hurry. They're short wheel base and light weight start to work well for them then. I still find properly modded mk2s to be more stable in slides though, its just that damn turning ratio.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Riiiiiiight!!!!! So thats why its the most highly respected drift car ever? Im pretty sure they come with LSD too, if not you can still get them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I drove an ae86 drifted nicely, very easy to control... though my mk2 works better for me since I drive the thing every day, and any of it that is enjoyed is done looking foreward through one of the side windows.

I *heart* torque

though mine is far from a professional opinion... I only do this for fun and to impress/scare people. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Speaking as a person whom actually knows a thing or too about drifting ( not powerslide ect) I've driven a Mk2 with a 6MGE in some situations with some great, smooth wide roads and the car drifts nicely, although a bit underpowered. I didn't find the steering ratio that slow at all.

Now the Mk3 turbo is a decent drift car, lots of power means you can extend and drift fast, but recoveries if you mess up can be a problem given the weight.

I'm in the process of finishing my Mk3 for sale so I can move too a 240. The trick is that you can get 10 times the suspension parts for the 240 then mk2 (1200$ Can. used coilovers too, also at least 4 differnt kinds of coilovers, poor mk2..), newer chassis and suspension design, 2 direct bolt up turbo motors too, and its lighter. Although not all 240's come with VLSD factory, you have many options too get one for the car (300zx, Infiniti's ect) a little more difficult, but not impossible by ANY means.

Conclusion, both cars are good, Mk2 is a smooth tracker, but avaliability for parts of the 240, and direct bolt up, superior turbo motors (SR20, CA18, RB25 for that matter) make it a good choice.

Even if I like the mk2's styling better, too be true, you have too pick the best car, no matter what its styling is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
acutually the 86 is a 55/45 balance last time I checked the stats. as for being torqueless, who cares? drifting isn't about power, its about finess

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
true about the finese, but torque is great for power oversteer. There are about 4 different ways to intiate a true drift, power oversteer is one of them. Another is abrupt weight transfer invoked by "feinting" to one side then turning to the other. This is the one that screws with the mk2 due to the slow steering ratio. Kingsoup take a ride in a miata then take a mk2 through an autocross course and you'll see what I mean about the steering ratio.

I own a corolla gts, I know it has a 54/46 weight balance because I've weighed the damn thing. Don't forget they came in hb and coupe form, the coupes are a little lighter in the rear (thats what I have).

As for the AE86 being the greatest drift car ever, thats a matter of opinion. Maybe if initial D is influcing your perception, but I think most would take the 4 wheel double wisbone 240sx over the GTS. Besides the superior suspension, its longer stance and extra weight make it a bit more stable. And as for all of these AEs you see drifting in vids, its not like you ever see stock ones. LSDs weren't available in Canada on the GTS, it was an option in the states. Wes, read my post again, I said they are really good drifters when modded appropriatly. But a stock mk2 is much safer and more predictable in a drift then a stock GTS. Trust me :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
the reason they are popular Drift car in japan is because their initial cost is lower than S13's and the like. plus people can trash them and find parts in junkyards much quicker. The AE86 is not the greatest drift car as suprafiend pointed out just because Takumi beats everyone in a cartoon.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Kingsoup take a ride in a miata then take a mk2 through an autocross course and you'll see what I mean about the steering ratio.
Agreed their, that giant steering wheel in the Mk2 only adds too the wheel flaying excitment!

Most people agree that the 86 is a good cheap car for beginners, hence where it gained most of its fame in Japan. But most people move up too Silvias and the like as soon as possible. I for one have a very difficult time drifting with small horsepower, power makes it possible too power out if you don't slip much on initiation or can let you extend a small slip angle slide longer.

I've never drive an 86 before, but I have driven other semi-live rear axle cars and found them less predictable at the limit, I'd think a true IRS would lead too a better drift car, although I bet its easier too initiate with a non IRS rear.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I'd much rather make the MK2 a drift car.
Sure, it's easier with an 86 or a 240, but it's not really that much fun if it's not a challenge.

We do have some engine choices as well. turbo the 5m, turbo the 6m, we have the 7m, 1jz, 2jz(but that's money). Except for suspention, we do have quite a bit to work with.

But no car is really a better car, unless you're talking stock for stock. But when modding comes about, it's all about the builder to make the car better, not the manufactuer.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well, I just got back from Autocrossing my MA67P today for the first time. All I can say, is WOW!!!

The MA67 chassis is so well composed, it scarey. It was completely predictable, and never once did I feel out of control or scared when the car was going sideways =) Truly amazing. EASILY 3 seconds faster than my AE92 Corolla GT-S.

As for drifting, I think that an MA67 would haul ass! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Aaron

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
I just got back from my local autox. An mk2 will hold its own in g-stock. Pretty much, make sure your motor is running well, get tight shocks/struts, and a set of hoosiers or kuhmos. Both of my front struts have completely displaced all the fluid. They have no suppression atall, so I get wicked wheel-chop-understeer on sweepers. I also run on 60 series 420tw tires, so I slide a good deal also. I beat a starion turbo /w hoosiers. I was less than 1 second behind g-stock leader (brand new Si on hoosiers), I think pretty close to 1 second behind.

--BillyM

·
Registered
58 Posts
We do have some engine choices as well. turbo the 5m, turbo the 6m, we have the 7m, 1jz, 2jz(but that's money).
the AE86 has many too. 3 varsions of NA 16v 4ag's, 2 versions of 20v 4ag, 4agze, turbo just about any of them. haha.

soon as full results are up on my Regions website I'll post my times compared to others. (all I know is I ran 58.490 and it was good enough to beat some experienced drivers in good cars.)

·
Registered
875 Posts
ae86s came stock with lsds (nearly all of them)

Ma61s can be made to drift hard, and i have some vids on my computer to prove it, but i dont know how to put them up or anything.
Obviously lots has been done tot he one on the clips, but no body roll and sounds n/a.
plenty of smoke off the tyres.
If anyone wants to see any of the vids i might be able to wicky something up.
icq 57079108
Matt

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Eight-Six said:
stupid low ball offers on my car cause its a Boro Hachi.
What is a "Boro Hachi"? If you said Hachi-Go or Kyuu-Ni I'd understand, but... ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first post

Hey all this is my first post i found this forum today just a little reply about drifting the mk2 ive never drifted my mk2 however i do street race it through the hills around my area very tight and windy and i have beaten many a wannabe drifter i say wannabe cause drifting is still new in aus and most guys that can powerslide a corner think they are hardcore drift racer mostly driving nissan r33 gtst's and silvias my stock mk2 to just running heavier shocks runs very well in tight and sweeping corners i find i have a little understeer but a ver predicable car in any situation even when i powerslide a corner the car although underpowered is very easy to control
thanks guys

1 - 20 of 31 Posts