Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've been thinking about starting a small time magazine for a while now. And what better topic than the mkii Supra/mx73 Cressida right?

Let me first just say a few things:
I'm in no way trying to "1 up" CS.com in any way shape or form, nor am I affiliated in any way with the site at all. I'm simply interested in getting you guys (mainly CS members) a chance to feature and share your love for the mkii/mx73 in print. If The founder of this forum would like to be involved in the project by means of supporting info or anything else, I openly invite that.

I don't think anyone on CS.com knows me, but my name is Ryan. I just recently turned 20, live in so-cal, and go to an automotive school full time.
I've owned 3 Celica Supras (never crashed a single one), but had to sell them all due to different reasons. I now own an '85 mx73 Cress, and I love it.
I'm a long time spectator (3 1/2 years), short time official member of the site.

I fell in love with my 85 Supra as soon as my grandparents delivered it to me a month before I got my permit. My first memory in the car was actually running out of gas and having to push it off the side of the road in the hot deserts of Apple Valley CA. I was about 6 or 7 at the time and cried like a baby. Basically the Supra sparked my interest in cars, and all things mechanical. It made me who I am today and truly changed my life.
One dream of mine is to have my car featured in a magazine. Showing the world how much hard work and dedication it took to make the car what it is today. Besides, magazines are legit. Anybody can start a "build thread" online, but to be featured in a magazine? That's all together different.

I'm somewhat artistically inclined in the sense that I know my way around the higher end programs like Photoshop and Aperture. I'm also very well trained with Final Cut Pro for movie editing and some Sound Track Pro. I wanted to make a website that can host videos on anyone that had media that paper and ink simply can't entertain. I can make a medium traffic website myself with just a little money.

Just wanted to gauge interest in this. I could release an online demo with just a few stories from any volunteers. Hint hint.
The demo would be free, just for input from you guys. And the cost of the mag would be minimal after that.

Questions/comments anyone?

edit:
Great recommended Name:
MKII Dragon Monthly

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha
Thanks guys. Glad about the positive feedback so far.
I was hoping I wouldn't get flamed for the idea.

But all suggestions and idea are welcome.
It also needs a name... ha

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would buy a subscription: hopefully there will be enough mkii support !!

these guy's started about 4 years ago, few of my rigs have been showcased.....look forward to every issue.

http://www.4wdtoyotaowner.com/

in fact, going to renew now !!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
if you need help, I've got resources! everything from photography to website development to graphic design! Just let me know whats up and I'd be willing to help out with whatever I can!

Question?

WHy dont you just include all 80's RWD toyotas?
and then call it something along those lines?

80's RWD Toyota Mag?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you need help, I've got resources! everything from photography to website development to graphic design! Just let me know whats up and I'd be willing to help out with whatever I can!

Question?

WHy dont you just include all 80's RWD toyotas?
and then call it something along those lines?

80's RWD Toyota Mag?
I'll hit up everyone offering help as soon as i get some Builds/Stories together I'm sure!
thanks for the offer btw.

As for the 80s idea, it was actually my original plan.
I'm not really too into the current Toyota's much, I'm an 80s guy for sure. Everything from movies to music, music being my favorite.
I was debating a pure M series engine mag, against an 80s mag that covered everything from the CelSup to the ae86 rollas. RWD FTW!
But everyone's input and personal interests in what they would like to see helps make a better product. So please voice your opinions

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would buy a subscription: hopefully there will be enough mkii support !!

these guy's started about 4 years ago, few of my rigs have been showcased.....look forward to every issue.

http://www.4wdtoyotaowner.com/
I'm hoping there's enough support as well.
I need photos with your stories people!
PM me for details, I'd like to get a short online demo up for people to discuss what direction it should go in.

And that link is a great way to lay out the site. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not do it online? This way the world can see it :) Id have no probs linking it up nicely.
Yeah hosting the magazine online has a lot of great advantages too. One being cost, not having to print to paper, etc.
And a well placed link would be great!
It could always be offered on both mediums, at the subscriber's expense :]

·
Registered
599 Posts
I look froward to getting into bed with my favorite magazine every night.......LMAO !! cracking myself up !!

I personally need a magazine in the mailbox, don't think I would go to another website other than Celicasupra.com for stories/information on MKii's

EightiesVintage.com ----> 1985 will be considered vintage in 2010, I have been looking forward to Collector plates on my 85 trucks for a long long time.........

I'm hoping there's enough support as well.
I need photos with your stories people!
PM me for details, I'd like to get a short online demo up for people to discuss what direction it should go in.

And that link is a great way to lay out the site. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Look at Japanese Nostalgic Car magazine...they had some nice sponsors etc. and its still struggling. Thats for ALL older Jap cars....Realistically the mk2 barely shows up on the radar with most older Jap car enthusiasts.

Honestly, based on what I know about our community, the market etc. I think you should focus on a web based deal. Something like t04r.com but with better execution. I could host it here if you wish...but I obviously wouldn't care if you had another domain that I would link to.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look at Japanese Nostalgic Car magazine...they had some nice sponsors etc. and its still struggling. Thats for ALL older Jap cars....Realistically the mk2 barely shows up on the radar with most older Jap car enthusiasts.

Honestly, based on what I know about our community, the market etc. I think you should focus on a web based deal. Something like t04r.com but with better execution. I could host it here if you wish...but I obviously wouldn't care if you had another domain that I would link to.
Perhaps an all 80s rwd Toyota magazine would be a better route to capture a larger audience then?

I just picked up Japanese Nostalgia a few weeks ago at the JCCS meet in Irvine, CA. They gave me Volume 1, Issue 1-3, with a promise of Issue 4 when it's released. I like it a lot, not gonna lie. But I can see your point about the struggle.
Not sure how JNC magazine is run, but I could do the whole thing myself for the most part if need be (assuming nobody ended up being able to help out, and the magazine isn't huge). That would save on expenses like photo editing and things of that nature.
I doubt I'd be taking any trips to Japan or out of state anytime soon for the larger, more elaborate stories. :sadsmilie
I'm going to try and pull up some figures on printing costs per page, paper quality, ink and stuff like that.
What i really appreciate about JNC magazine is the quality of materials they use to print.

And I do agree with you Billy, I did want to post up something for you guys to scope and get feedback.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd subscribe, and I'm into first gen! :good:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll be sure to keep watching this to see how it turns out; it's a really great idea no matter what path you go.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts