Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks,

I have 5 sets of new OEM poly whiskers and 5 new carbon fiber cooling panels ready to go!

I am offering a deal for the first five (5) lucky owners:

New set of OEM style whiskers & clips + new drop-in dry carbon fiber cooling panel for $200 USD shipped (with tracking)

Fitment guaranteed! :mm_emthup:cool:

Plz contact me if interested (offer limited to 5 only)

ref:

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?102034-I-has-whiskers!&p=1141145#post1141145

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?104737-FS-MKII-drop-in-dry-carbon-fiber-cooling-panel

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Is there a reason it's not cut out for the hood stoppers? Aren't they always in the same location? Either way, I already have a pattern to make an aluminum one. I bet that'll work! How best to cut this stuff?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good question Ray!

The carbon fiber is so light, thin, strong and flexible that it fits level between the hood and the hood stoppers. It's cut to fit and having the rubber U-channel snugs it in. I minimized all holes for better airflow. In the process of making the dry carbon fiber, I infuse the cf with epoxy and then evacuate the resin. That makes it super strong and not likely to have any spider cracks from impact of the hood. In fact after months of testing I barely notice a scratch.

Also, I have never been able to achieve a glossy finish until now. It cost a pretty penny. I cut and tested my prototype months before I had these cut by cnc waterjet.

The whiskers have been an ongoing project for several years. I have made them in carbon fiber and polyurethane rubber. I even made sets to look like carbon fiber out of poly. I rock those on my ride. I had to learn the hard way, it cost me dearly, more than you can imagine! However, my perseverance has brought the product to as close to OEM as possible being poured by hand, and for that, I feel I have accomplished my goal.

I thank everyone who has been supportive along the way. Nothing's perfect, that's how it goes...so, for those who have purchased and wish to upgrade (if you feel it is needed). I would be happy to oblige. Let me know and I will make some more at a reduced price. After that, I'm not sure how many more of these I am able to make. I'm going to be extremely busy in my new venture.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thinking about this, there's already the rubber cushions very close to the front of both outside edges, plus the two hood stoppers along the front edges behind each headlight, and the latch itself. One benefit to losing the two inside stoppers is that the other two sure will be easier to adjust properly, won't they? And I have a stock hood. I seriously doubt that it'll rattle, vibrate or move in any way, at least at any speed that won't lead to a jail visit! The inner stoppers probably serve more to prevent any damage from slamming the hood shut anyway.
My front air dam and side skirts help to move air around the car which lowers the pressure under the hood by causing more air to be sucked out behind the car. These have helped slightly with MPG by about 0.5 but their biggest benefit is lower under hood temps allowing me to run the A/C on fresh when it's really hot without overheating. Without these, the only way this was possible is without a front license plate which is a great way to get a ticket in most states! No doubt this panel will help some too.
The air dam and skirts must also help hold the hood down too. Or at the very least, create a lower underhood pressure which would amount to the same thing.
And every single one of us is proud of you and thanks you for your efforts. It took a lot of your cash, time frustration and many other other "things", but you are a serious success! Hopefully, it's been somewhat profitable as well. Because good enough isn't, not giving up until you're satisfied that the results are very good indeed, if maybe not absolutely perfect is what any reasonable person would do. Absolute perfection costs many, many times more in every way and this market would never support that. But you should be very proud of what you've accomplished by not giving up! We all hope that you'll find some time now and then to produce the occasional batch of all your wonderful things and / or something new to keep it interesting for you as well. In any event, good luck in whatever your new venture is. I'm sure you'll do very well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ray, that means alot to me :thumbsup:

I know if it weren't for a couple of the Daves' suggestions, and others too, I prob would've given up at the start.

This whole experience has really made me appreciate what others have done before, I tip my hat to guys like Aaron (RabidChimp) and of course George @ Raptor Racing. :mm_emthup:cool:

It is a small community afterall, please support your vendors CS.com.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
100% Real carbon fiber with foam core rocker rails.

These will never deteriorate!

Epoxy-gloss carbon fiber (test mounted, perfect fit)

Matt finish dry carbon fiber (never mounted)

$175/set shipped (tracking and hardware included)

I'd prefer to send them as a lot, since the shipping cost in this care is based on size, not weight. The whole bundle weighs less than one OEM rail!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Will need to pour more whiskers.... :rolleyes:

I also have this 6 bolt steering wheel cf control panel I had cut from grade A carbon fiber. You can mount buttons for fingertip control:

I will also include 6 top grade hex socket bolts (good to replace anyway, esp if you bought a steering wheel adapter off eBay)

$100 shipped! (tracking included)

I have only 2 available. Plz pm me if interested, thx.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts