Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently on the selling block - pressure fit 'dry' carbon fiber cooling panel for MkII

UV/chemically resistant East Coast system epoxy, vacuum-bagged dry carbon fiber. Keeps your rad cool and provides a rugged flat surface, not a part you have to baby, even though it'll dress up the engine bay.

No tools required to install. Aircraft grade rubber U-channel protects paint while ensuring a snug fit. Just press into place and secure with polyurethane TeK hood stoppers included (see pic 5).

CS.com member price $180 USD shipped (to your confirmed Paypal address)

I currently have two panels ready to go. Additional panels made to order. PM me if interested, thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Short video... I've had this piece under my hood for the last few months: [video]http://vid1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff376/1982supra/panelmovie_zpsszlty5gh.mp4[/video]

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
I like that! It looks moe better than the aluminum cooling panel I got from the group buy a few years ago. I'm going to add this to my wishlist for Christmas.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like that! It looks moe better than the aluminum cooling panel I got from the group buy a few years ago. I'm going to add this to my wishlist for Christmas.
I'll give you a deal, Dave...I owe you one :mm_emthup:cool:

Part of me wonders how much extra it would cost to go up and all the way to the rad...

Inquiring minds...

--bilyM
Too much I'm afraid...to give you an idea, the aircraft grade epoxy I use costs $200/gallon compared to $40/gal for polyester resin :rolleyes:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sold. Sorry guys, I won't be making any more of these due to a recent shoulder injury, the carbon fiber is too hard to cut

...good thing for A/T :eekfacepalm:

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Well, guess it's a good thing I ordered mine when I did. Received yesterday. Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, guess it's a good thing I ordered mine when I did. Received yesterday. Thanks.
I trust fitment will be true and you'll love it as much as I do.

Would you consider making one that is uncut?
Not sure about that. Normally if I can't guarantee fitment, then I won't sell it. In fact I won't sell anything that I wouldn't put on my own car. I could cut it with a rotary tool, but the clean edges will not be the same, that said, a little epoxy over the edges usually cleans them up.

I signed up and payed to be a vendor in order to sell these things legit too :eekfacepalm: ...I guess no good deed goes unrewarded

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Determined, I bought more supplies today...and a shoulder brace. I'm pretty sure I can do something for you Rob.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
I guess I have big hands and fingers - I had to trim some material in front of the hood release so I could comfortably get my fingers in to open the hood. First pic before and second pic after trimming away and now it's fine. Last picture is a comparison with the aluminum panel that had been in there for a few years.

Note the TeK hood stoppers that came with the panel - cuter than a bug's ear.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Super stuff, Dave!! We needed a guinea pig and you stepped up...:woot:

I originally had a similar situation with the hood latch, but trimmed it enough to get a finger in. I can see how someone with bigger fingers might need to trim a little off, but the rubber trim hides it well.

Excellent comparison photo:

I might revisit this project in future with the goal to even reduce the size of holes or deleted altogether. Thanks Moorman, I`ll keep you guys posted.

Note the TeK hood stoppers that came with the panel - cuter than a bug's ear.
:kekekegay

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been handcuffed by my preconceptions. I originally designed it to be 'pressure fit', and it is, but in order to do so, cuts must be exact. The only way I could do that was with a very sharp knife and all my weight. "Make shavings, not dust", my Master used to say when I was but an apprentice. I've tried to follow his advice over the years. However, with a shoulder injury preventing me from using a blade with any force, I am relegated to my rotary tool, which I am comfortable with but doesn't produce the fine edging. I bought a very fine file which seems to clean up edges well, and a new drill bit, so we'll see. Another thing which I overlooked is that it doesn't need to be 'pressure fit' anymore, esp. since I made the TeK hood stoppers to hold it 'snug as a bug in a rug'. :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
This is on my wishlist. Wanted one for a long time now.

You're doing too many cool/rare projects, that I want done! Lol bodywork on my car might have to wait til next year.. damn..

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you ever feel well enough to get up and make these again im next in line. I can understand if your not gonna with an injury n all but if you ever feel up to it. The supras not goin anywhere for a long time

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right on guys. I've been doing some light work and it is getting better (gotta take a li'l break). :sleep:

I plan to make more in September...stay tuned! :mm_emthup:cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts