Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around at the cars that are said to be up for sale on this forum and around at others most I see are going for like under $1000. I was wondering, is that really the price these sell for now? I've never really looked into it much before.

I bought my 83 Ltype like 7 years ago for $1600. It had no spoiler, bad oxidation, rusted hatch and some rust on some moldings. I've not put alot of work into my car but I'm sure I've spent like 3k into my car NOT including the 2k I paid to have the 6m-ge put in after I blew the original motor. I was figuring I would be able to sell my supra for like 2k before I move (I'll be moving across country within half a year or so) and buy another when I get there (seeing as how it would cost around $800 just to transport the car there) but now I'm like thinking I might not get half that seeing what condition my car is in. <sigh>

So what is the average going price for an 83 supra Ltype.
I have the Ptype rims with newer tires. Pacesetter header (not coated). 2.5in custom catback exhaust with flowmaster muffler and new cat. K/N cone filter. A few other little things here and there but those seem insignificant to the price I could sell it for I'm guessing.

I really like my car but now I'm kinda stuck in what I should do.
1. Pay $800 to transport it across country.
outcome - I'd have my beat up supra with a good 6m-ge but I'd be out $800 plus still have the bad body of my current ride.

2.Sell it here and buy another when I move.
outcome - I'd break about even but have a supra without a 6m-ge but possibly a better body and things I want (fender flares, front spoiler, better coulour (I'd get a Ptype prolly as I like the style more than my Ltype although I like power everything))

3. Sell it here and buy a totally different car when I get there.
outcome - Could have a nicer car, possible a 86-92 supra or some other type of car even.

Sorry for the long post. I know it's not a big deal. Just this is the first time I've really thought of this and starting to doubt my keeping my car seeing as how I might not be able to sell it for that much and would be a pit in my pocketbook which isn't very deep.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I were in you shoes, I would probably just spend the $800 to transport the car across the country. First of all, by keeping your car, you know exactly the condition it's in. You know what's been done and what needs to be done. You won't have any suprises when something breaks on your car. Also, you already have a hotter motor in it. You are already one step ahead of the others when it comes to modding the car. When you go and buy that used supra at the other end of the country, you would probably have to start from scratch. By that I mean, you won't know if the car has been in a major accident or not. You would have to spend more money to do any maintenance work that has not been done (i.e. timing belt, tune up, etc.). Although on the other hand, if you are able to sell it to a person who knows the difference between a 5m and a 6m motor, then you might be able to get more money for your car. And again, that is IF you find the right person to sell it to.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Keep or Sell

I used to have a 83 L- Type but it was stolen I paid $500.00 Dollars for it in 1989 and it had no rust the only thing that was wrong with it was a little dent on the right front fender. With that being said this car was in way better shape than my now 85 P-Type and people tell me every day how nice it is I paid 2G's for the 85. You can't put a price on them it all depends on who's selling it and how much they value it. I will say this I am looking for another one and the nice ones are getting harder and harder to find so if you like these cars you may want to keep it as you might not be able to find another.

·
Founding Member
6,405 Posts
REally nice mk2s are becoming scarce and then when they do pop up, people want a premium for them. The 6m is worth keeping because those are getting scarce now and buying them is a crap shoot - i.e. you know your's is a good one. If you'd like to have a mk2 in better condition, perhaps even a P-type, consider that no matter how much premium you pay on a first rate mk2, its going to be cheaper than you'd be able to restore yours. So you're six of one or a half dozen of the other. As to transporting the car across country, if you rent a Ryder truck for your things, just rent a car trailer to pull behind it or tow-dolly (cheaper) and just disconnect drive shaft.

Phil D.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is true, I know what I got and would be taking a chance to get another 6m-ge. Just hard trying to suck up that price. I got quotes from 3 different movers and they quote from $730-850.
Renting a uhaul or ryder would cost alot more actually, plus gas, ugh. I figured it out before and got a quote and it'd cost in 2k range, but like you say I could move all my things at the same time, so that might work out better overall. Long haul, lol. I'll check into that trailer hitch thing. That might be the best route.
Thanks for the replies, gives me something to think about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts