Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The sunroof on my 1982 Celica Supra is off its tracks and makes a real bad motor noise. Just wondering if anyone knows how to put it back on it’s tracks? I heard I have to take the headliner off to even get to the roof.

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
Try some searches, this has been covered many times in the past here. Its likely the plastic brackets the sunroof pivots on, they are built into the rail tracks and tend to break if the sunroof gets impacted or forced. There has been some attempts to get replacements made, not sure what state those are at. There is definitly a thread about that (SupraZ posted it).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try some searches, this has been covered many times in the past here. Its likely the plastic brackets the sunroof pivots on, they are built into the rail tracks and tend to break if the sunroof gets impacted or forced. There has been some attempts to get replacements made, not sure what state those are at. There is definitly a thread about that (SupraZ posted it).
I appreciate it man, I’ve done some searches but not on this forum, I’ll take a look thank you!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I appreciate it man, I’ve done some searches but not on this forum, I’ll take a look thank you!
Mine were broken as I was told its a common problem as the plastic gets brittle and falls apart, so I made a set in high temp SLA so they can withstand the car heat and have a smoother finish since these are a part that needs to slide on the rail, your not broken should look like these,
Sky Cloud Automotive window part
Rectangle Plastic
Plastic

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
If they are SLA they are just 3D printed. The ones I had I made a ferrule and crimped it on the end of the cable.

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
You've got to pull all those 10mm bolts out and lift the sunroof out from the top. The plastic parts that breaks rides inside that aluminum rail you can sort of see from the side. You'll have to look, but there shouldn't be any broken plastic on either side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've got to pull all those 10mm bolts out and lift the sunroof out from the top. The plastic parts that breaks rides inside that aluminum rail you can sort of see from the side. You'll have to look, but there shouldn't be any broken plastic on either side.
I see, so we are talking about the golden bolts? Also I heard that I have to place the rod back onto that black track as it seems to be under the track. Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
My sunroof has been in and out twice to get the car resprayed, but all the parts are intact and it works fine. That being said, if you are able to get the parts 3-D printed, I would be glad to share expenses and have a spare set for myself.

If V.B. is still following this thread and has not gotten it figured out yet, you don't have to remove the whole head liner, just the trim piece around the sunroof, and the piece on the sunroof. Getting the headliner piece off the sunroof is the most difficult part of the whole process. If I recall, it has to be popped off on the front and then it slides forwards. That will give access to all the bolts and the cables. Make sure to make a note of the number of shims on each side for proper reassembly.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine were broken as I was told its a common problem as the plastic gets brittle and falls apart, so I made a set in high temp SLA so they can withstand the car heat and have a smoother finish since these are a part that needs to slide on the rail, your not broken should look like these,
View attachment 14855 View attachment 14856 View attachment 14857
HI VB .. any chance you can share the .stl files for these sliders and i'll get a bunch printed ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My sunroof has been in and out twice to get the car resprayed, but all the parts are intact and it works fine. That being said, if you are able to get the parts 3-D printed, I would be glad to share expenses and have a spare set for myself.

If V.B. is still following this thread and has not gotten it figured out yet, you don't have to remove the whole head liner, just the trim piece around the sunroof, and the piece on the sunroof. Getting the headliner piece off the sunroof is the most difficult part of the whole process. If I recall, it has to be popped off on the front and then it slides forwards. That will give access to all the bolts and the cables. Make sure to make a note of the number of shims on each side for proper reassembly.

Bob
Yep .. if not i'll take a look at mine and see if i can reverse engineer from a scan assuming their not total crumbled ..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Bob
Late to the game for the original poster, but this is a fabulous link to a youtube video of how to remove, repair, and reinstall the sunroof...

John's neverending list of random things to do

Dale

Reactions: Beernuts

·
Super Moderator
7,828 Posts
Not sure where the file is, but a some point someone hosted it.
There is working replacement units available at two sources, read the whole thread :

1 - 20 of 21 Posts