Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks-

After 353,000 trouble-free miles, the transmission in my '85 P-type is in need of a rebuild/replacement. Having NO experience in this area, I'm looking for recommendations as to a business that can do this work reliably. I have talked to AllState Gear in San Antonio and the guy there says they could do it for about $800 plus $125 shipping charge to and from. That sounds a bit 'cheap' to me, but I don't really know what the going rate for this work is. Also, I'd be open to hearing of others experiences with tranny rebuilds, what company they used to do it, and what results they got. The local Toyota dealer has the vehicle right now, but they are having a hard time finding parts to do the rebuild.

Thanks in advance for any info you folks can provide.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
You don't mention whether auto or stick but either way you should be able to have it done locally without much concern - both common transmissions. Shipping a tranny is expensive but parts to your locale would be relatively cheap. Find a local car show this weekend and ask around there about tranny shops with a good reputation. Classic car guys know who you can trust.

Phil D.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, sorry. Yes, it is a manual.

Well, as I said my local Toyota dealer is saying THEY aren't having much luck in finding parts for the rebuild, which kinda makes me question THEIR resourcefulness. The guy I talked to at AllState was like, yeah, no problem on a rebuild for that tranny. So, maybe the local Toyota guys are a bit slow (or don't want to deal with it); I've not had real good luck with local Toyota service, which is why I generally do most of my own work. But, I don't have access to a lift to do this tranny work, so I took it to them to at least look at.

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
I think if I were you I'd take a trip to Texas and pickup a Toyota rebuilt tranny from Jeff. I think from Toyota they are about 700-800 w/discount. You should be able to get parts to rebuild it from Toyota. IIRC they actually have rebuild and gasket kits for the tranny. Most local Toyota dealers are idiots so I'd call up Jeff Watson at 1-800-327-2087 if you are looking for parts.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Whoever you decide to go with, don't use Cottman Trans. I got the auto rebuilt on my 82 there in december 02. Not only did it cost me $2800, but I then had to return it like 6 times for them to replace the leaking seals. I still feel like I got ripped off, but had no choice at the time. Brian

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Earl,

Yeah, something sounds fishy here about this Toyota dealer. Rebuild parts for a W58 5-speed should be easily accessible, as they are a very common tranny & there are plenty of them!!! These guys need to look around harder.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Trans-Tech Performance
located in Rindge, NH

They rebuilt mine for $285 shipped (I actually dropped it off).

Ask for Brad and mention you found out from the MK2 forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts