Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
'85 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just posting about the alternator and look at what we have here. I was on the freeway and heard something break. Kept going hoping it was not something vital and then could not keep it running after a bit. I guess that is what happens when the alternator is no longer being turned by the belt. What is the pulley I need?

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My guess is it involves one or more of these parts which was among the spare parts found in the car when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking at my Haynes manual right now and having trouble finding what I am looking for. I need to know what the broken part is and how to find a replacement for it.

About to have to buy a new battery to run the car until I can get it back home. Could be worse, but did not expect to be on the side of the road already. haha

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
the part on the left is shown in the diagram, but you need more than that. I'm guessing you have an electric cooling fan on the radiator? If not you need mess of parts, and i'd be surprised if that fan didn't break a bunch of stuff on its way out of the car... That pulley is best found used, it doesn't come with the water pump kits usually from what I can find. Big thanks to Arch for this pic from this thread with more info like part numbers and such WTB: Water Pump Pulley 5MGE (1985 celica supra)
White Font Auto part Circle Line art

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Errr that's the water pump, way more important than the alternator. No battery power and you coast to a stop, no cooling though? Buh bye engine. Get it towed,or replace that pulley so the pump actually turns.
well, great

thank you for the information

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the part on the left is shown in the diagram, but you need more than that. I'm guessing you have an electric cooling fan on the radiator? If not you need mess of parts, and i'd be surprised if that fan didn't break a bunch of stuff on its way out of the car... That pulley is best found used, it doesn't come with the water pump kits usually from what I can find. Big thanks to Arch for this pic from this thread with more info like part numbers and such WTB: Water Pump Pulley 5MGE (1985 celica supra)
View attachment 21365
idea (anyone) of where to find replacement parts for this?

·
Super Moderator
7,896 Posts
In a recycler (pick & pull, j/y, whatever you call it), or used in the Wanted section here, or other fb groups.
These parts are no longer available at the dealer.
As stated by gamble above, seems also to be missing the fan (item 16361)
itself that normally mount on the front of the assembly above, unless you have an aftermarket electric fan to cool the radiator.
Font Line Auto part Diagram Parallel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there is an electric fan on the radiator and I will send photos tomorrow when there is sunlight

thank you all

is this a common thing to happen to these and could it just be the pulley rather than the entire water pump seized up?

hoping for the best, but concerned

·
Super Moderator
7,896 Posts
No it's not common.
If the water pump seize, the straps will slip on the the pullies, and rupture from wear before the steel pullies shows any sign of wear.
By the way, from your pic of 2 spare parts above, the left part is a part if that assembly in front if the water pump. The right side part is the bender/idler of the timing belt, behind the front engine cover.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I found this and am not sure it is what I need:

EDIT: African river company has it for less https://www.amazon.com/Gates-42230-...c5-9e50-ddca57902708&pd_rd_i=B000C2U85S&psc=1

Thank you again and I definitely am going to have to dig in to make sure I get what is needed replaced. I do not want to have to keep addressing this same issue because I did not replace everything. If there is a DIY for any of this, please send.

·
Super Moderator
7,896 Posts
that is the pump for our engine. it includes the sealing gasket, and the 4 studs needed to mount the pullies. These sems to have shreaded from your intial pic.
You still need the other parts of the pullies.
Since you have an electrical fan, you don't need the "coupling" item 16210 above, but need to make sure the nuts on the studs are secure on the pullies if you don't have one. The center bump in the studs might prevent the nuts to go in enough to properly clamp the pullies. You could use 2-3 washers to replace the missing thickness from the "coupling" flange.

Reactions: JCC

·
Founding Member
6,724 Posts
Looks like all the studs sheared off. You are definitely going to need a water pump, but I'm concerned that you kept going after the water pump ceased to function. Before you spend money on a water pump and other parts, you need to assess the damage to the cylinder head, pistons and cylinder walls. Check the following in this order: First check to see if the oil looks like a chocolate milkshake. If the oil looks clear, then check to see if there's any oil sludge in the radiator. Next, pull all the spark plugs, remove the distributor cap and turn the engine over by hand with a ratchet, noting if it binds up anywhere and that the distributor rotor turns. If it turns freely without binding and the distributor is rotating, then you may have dodged a bullet and it should be safe to try to start it. Last, put the spark plugs back, charge the battery and go ahead and try to start it. Don't run it for more than a minute without the belts in place, but if it starts and runs with a fresh battery then the engine is still ok and you can spend money on a new water pump and get a used replacement pulley. But if any of the previous tests are not good, then no point buying a water pump for a boat anchor.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that is the pump for our engine. it includes the sealing gasket, and the 4 studs needed to mount the pullies. These sems to have shreaded from your intial pic.
You still need the other parts of the pullies.
Since you have an electrical fan, you don't need the "coupling" item 16210 above, but need to make sure the nuts on the studs are secure on the pullies if you don't have one. The center bump in the studs might prevent the nuts to go in enough to properly clamp the pullies. You could use 2-3 washers to replace the missing thickness from the "coupling" flange.
Thank you! I will be checking all of this in daylight tomorrow and report back. Hoping for the best.

Looks like all the studs sheared off. You are definitely going to need a water pump, but I'm concerned that you kept going after the water pump ceased to function. Before you spend money on a water pump and other parts, you need to assess the damage to the cylinder head, pistons and cylinder walls. Check the following in this order: First check to see if the oil looks like a chocolate milkshake. If the oil looks clear, then check to see if there's any oil sludge in the radiator. Next, pull all the spark plugs, remove the distributor cap and turn the engine over by hand with a ratchet, noting if it binds up anywhere and that the distributor rotor turns. If it turns freely without binding and the distributor is rotating, then you may have dodged a bullet and it should be safe to try to start it. Last, put the spark plugs back, charge the battery and go ahead and try to start it. Don't run it for more than a minute without the belts in place, but if it starts and runs with a fresh battery then the engine is still ok and you can spend money on a new water pump and get a used replacement pulley. But if any of the previous tests are not good, then no point buying a water pump for a boat anchor.
I really appreciate your help and will see what I can figure out.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great news, all! Someone sent a PM to me for the water pump pulley. See below:
Brown Font Sky Circle Darkness

Confidence is at maximum. I did find several on Car-Part.com that I am currently inquiring about. The below is from a 1982 Supra, so not sure about that one. There are others as close as Mississippi which is actually a Cressida.
Wood Gas Circle Mesh Metal

(from a 1982 Supra)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
That DM is a scam for sure, jeez. New member, 1 post, less than 24h. Report that one to a mod. They will ask for paypal payment with friends only type transaction, and you'll never get what you need. I'll check my stash tonight while i'm at my shop space, i might have what you need, no promises though...

You need to buy a NEW waterpump, but the pulleys you'll need to get used, and they need to be ribbed later style pulley to match your alternator.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That DM is a scam for sure, jeez. New member, 1 post, less than 24h. Report that one to a mod. They will ask for paypal payment with friends only type transaction, and you'll never get what you need. I'll check my stash tonight while i'm at my shop space, i might have what you need, no promises though...

You need to buy a NEW waterpump, but the pulleys you'll need to get used, and they need to be ribbed later style pulley to match your alternator.
will get them reported and thank you!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I mentioned in another thread maybe we should scan a pulley so we could get them CNC'd before they go extinct

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
first experience with Car-Part.com and had one of the places I called tell me the stock number I gave them was inventoried 23 years ago haha

hoping I can find something at one of the listings and I suppose I will just go through it systematically

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
$150 before tax sound right from someone on Car-Part.com?

it would be the entire "coolant pump" since it is coming from another yard in their network and is from a Cressida with the 5MGE

for everyone's knowledge, the other yard is shipping to this guy and then he ships it to me

1 - 20 of 128 Posts