Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 128 Posts

· Registered
2,820 Posts
Did you ever verify your car has electric fans? Otherwise you are missing a bunch more pieces.

Reactions: JCC

· Premium Member
'85 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
here's another I found by way of Car-Part.com and am trying to confirm it has the pulley on it

Font Rectangle Circle Number Screenshot

getting bounced around between people when calling and I definitely want to see a photo of what I am buying here to make sure everything is there

the guy I finally got to help me said this may be a "phantom" which means they may have cored them out which means they may have scrapped them

again, I only need the pulley hahaha

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Post a WTB ad in the WTB section of the classifieds. Someone here will have one i'm sure. I didn't have an extra that i could find, only one bolted to my parts car with a mostly good engine that i'm not looking to strip just yet.

$150 seems super steep to me, but the junk yard has to make money i guess. Have you checked row52.com to see if a pull it yourself junk yard near you has a supra or cressida with a 5mge?

· Registered
2,820 Posts
Facebook group for mk2 parts is a good option too.

· Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Post a WTB ad in the WTB section of the classifieds. Someone here will have one i'm sure. I didn't have an extra that i could find, only one bolted to my parts car with a mostly good engine that i'm not looking to strip just yet.

$150 seems super steep to me, but the junk yard has to make money i guess. Have you checked row52.com to see if a pull it yourself junk yard near you has a supra or cressida with a 5mge?
$150 guy is not even sure he has the part and I agree it is steep considering I do not even need the water pump itself. Give me what I need off of it and scrap the rest if you want or put it back on the shelf for the next sucker. :D

I will check row52.com and did not know about it previously. Also, checking local junk yards.

· Registered
1984 P-Type
215 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures of my water pump pulley from my '84 5MGE just so you get a better idea of what you are looking for. The one on the right is just a flat plate. It makes a V pulley when bolted together.
Wood Gas Circle Auto part Automotive tire

Camera lens Wood Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens

I think the '85 is the same?

· Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
looks like it would be the same, but seems like I am screwed at the moment

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

· Registered
1984 P-Type
215 Posts
Someone will pop up with a pulley set. By the way the pump by itself is only $20-40 on Rock Auto.
Keep in mind they often include the studs but you will also need the 4 nuts/washer combo that hols it together or substitute some others. The stock Toyota ones have a lock washer built in.

· Premium Member
374 Posts
Bolts with the correct length with lock washers and blue loctite will also work. Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

· Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I think I found a pulley from two difference sources and will share as soon as I confirm. Feels like I have given a lot of fake news haha

do I need something for the water pump gasket such as the gasket spray or something similar from a tube?

Gates water pump arrived today

· Registered
2,820 Posts
Yes it requires a gasket, usually included with the pump. Please reference the factory service manual for the proper procedure.

· Registered
909 Posts
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but did you ever do a compression test to see if you blew the head gasket? If you ran the engine long enough without a water pump, chances are you blew the head gasket and you'll be needing to rebuild that too.

· Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes it requires a gasket, usually included with the pump. Please reference the factory service manual for the proper procedure.
the water pump I got does have a gasket, but I was not sure about sealant for the gasket

· Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but did you ever do a compression test to see if you blew the head gasket? If you ran the engine long enough without a water pump, chances are you blew the head gasket and you'll be needing to rebuild that too.
have not done this

21 - 40 of 128 Posts