Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well, first things first, open the radiator cap and see if there's any oil floating on the top or the cap has an oily residue. Also check the oil dipstick, see if there's any milky-looking oil on the stick. If any of these are questionable, a compression test should be the next step.

·
Premium Member
'85 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What length belt for bypassing the AC compressor? Want to make sure the previous owner did not use too tight of a belt. Also, please confirm belt routing though it may be obvious. I am used to more complicated serpentine belt that runs everything.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
IIRC, no belt needed, it runs on its own belt with a tensioner. You can lose the tensioner and compressor if you aren't going to have a/c.
There was a belt around the pulley that broke and I believe went around the crank and alternator. Apologies if I am misunderstanding your post and I do appreciate the feedback.

By the way, below are photos of the pulley I found online which came with other parts.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera lens Rim

Product Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Lens

there are other photos, but you get the idea

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm stealing this from Jocelyn ( @RedP85 ):

For 84+ : front engine to rad:
Large (6 ribs I think) alt & water pump. ((it was verified as 7 ribs in THIS THREAD ))
Standard V belt: water pump + PS
Standard V belt: AC ( and bender ) ((bender means idler))

So, you're probably thinking of the power steering belt if it was a V-belt, the flat 6-rib belt is for alternator and water pump. The A/C does NOT share its belt with any other peripherals.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'm stealing this from Jocelyn ( @RedP85 ):

For 84+ : front engine to rad:
Large (6 ribs I think) alt & water pump. ((it was verified as 7 ribs in THIS THREAD ))
Standard V belt: water pump + PS
Standard V belt: AC ( and bender ) ((bender means idler))

So, you're probably thinking of the power steering belt if it was a V-belt, the flat 6-rib belt is for alternator and water pump. The A/C does NOT share its belt with any other peripherals.
thank you and apologies if I missed this information if previously posted

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
yes sir, just got the pulley today and water pump earlier in the week

noticed I need a couple of bolts and maybe a replacement cover

How the heck do I get the belt off? On there tight!

oil looks fine to me and I do not see anything in the coolant

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you search this forum, there is a link to an online TSRM for the mkii, that should show you how to remove and install the belts. For both the alternator and the power steering pump, they "hinge" for tension, so loosening the bolts on each of them should let them slide forward to release the tension. Note, the alternator has, iirc, a long 10mm bolt that tensions the alternator's belt. Its much easier to understand with the manual.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
If you search this forum, there is a link to an online TSRM for the mkii, that should show you how to remove and install the belts. For both the alternator and the power steering pump, they "hinge" for tension, so loosening the bolts on each of them should let them slide forward to release the tension. Note, the alternator has, iirc, a long 10mm bolt that tensions the alternator's belt. Its much easier to understand with the manual.
I do have the Haynes manual and will look there also. I would guess you hinge them to loosen and then hinge them back tight once the belt is on. Did not see any play to be gotten from the V belt running from the crank and seems like I need to remove that in order to get the water pump out. Thank you. Will search the forum.

Was also considering replacing the V belt, but was not finding the part number using the African river company.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yeah, definitely replace all the belts since you'll have it all apart anyways. With how your pulley came apart, I'd think the belts may have gotten damaged and wouldn't re-use them unless you're absolutely positive there's no cuts or nicks or abrasion on them. I use this site for looking up part numbers then cross-reference from that point online:

The 3 belts are as follows:
Fan/alternator: 99367-00920
Power steering: 90916-02104
A/C compressor: 99332-10980

Not a fan of the Haynes manual, but it usually has enough info to get jobs like this done without an issue.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yeah, definitely replace all the belts since you'll have it all apart anyways. With how your pulley came apart, I'd think the belts may have gotten damaged and wouldn't re-use them unless you're absolutely positive there's no cuts or nicks or abrasion on them. I use this site for looking up part numbers then cross-reference from that point online:

The 3 belts are as follows:
Fan/alternator: 99367-00920
Power steering: 90916-02104
A/C compressor: 99332-10980

Not a fan of the Haynes manual, but it usually has enough info to get jobs like this done without an issue.
Thank you! Will work on getting the V belt replaced as well.

I wonder why it is that Amazon and Ebay do not see this belt or maybe just cannot see it as compatible with the Mk 2.

Rectangle Font Magenta Parallel Logo

was not necessarily looking to get Goodyear if there are quality alternatives

Light Product Font Screenshot Gas

this one should definitely work though I am wondering if it is old

Napa shows to have this one at my local store though not sure why the $20~ difference in price
Product Azure Font Line Screenshot

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
just picked this up from Napa..
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

cold outside, but need to get something done other than the hood supports which went on pretty easy though a previous owner seemed to have installed at least one of the ones that were on there upside down

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
which coolant do I need to get to refill what spilled out? I do plan to flush the system sometime soon, but not yet. Guessing I have to burp the system after refilling and could use some direction on that if someone has pointers. TIA

41 - 60 of 122 Posts