Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
'85 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having trouble getting my car to take gas and am hoping I just forgot how to fuel up older cars

please help if anyone knows what this may be..

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
was not sure if this is considered drivetrain or engine category

·
Founding Member
6,723 Posts
Have you tried more than one gas pump? Sometimes a pump is just flaky and shuts off by itself. But before panicking, try turning the nozzle a bit sideways, up to 90 degrees, as it could be just the angle of the nozzle as it enters your Supra's fill tube. It's probably reacting to a bit of a kickback as the fuel jets out the nozzle really fast, hits the wall of the pipe and bounces back.

Reactions: JCC

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Often it is an issue with the tank vent and evap system. Is the charcoal canister plugged?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried more than one gas pump? Sometimes a pump is just flaky and shuts off by itself. But before panicking, try turning the nozzle a bit sideways, up to 90 degrees, as it could be just the angle of the nozzle as it enters your Supra's fill tube. It's probably reacting to a bit of a kickback as the fuel jets out the nozzle really fast, hits the wall of the pipe and bounces back.
It is not just stopping, gas is coming out. I had put gas in it one time, but did not fill up. It is possible that the three gallons I put in it MAY have filled it after what I put in it last time. Just doubtful and my fuel gauge does not work you are right.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Often it is an issue with the tank vent and evap system. Is the charcoal canister plugged?
I am not sure, but am interested in how I can investigate that. Thank you for mentioning. Please help however you can.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Sounds like evap is plugged. Disconnect the vent line from the charcoal canister and see if that helps next time you fill. Canister might be plugged because it is malfunctioning or the purge valve is not hooked up properly/broken.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like evap is plugged. Disconnect the vent line from the charcoal canister and see if that helps next time you fill. Canister might be plugged because it is malfunctioning or the purge valve is not hooked up properly/broken.
I will see what I can figure out and I do have a Haynes manual. Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still need to dig into this soon and messing with the water pump pulley repair still

will use the TSRM more likely than the Haynes

sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
put a gallon of gas in just in case another issue I am having with the car not starting has something to do with it being low on gas

found the charcoal canister

could canned air clear it or do I need an air compressor?

sent using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts