Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I keep tightening up the belt and in about a week it starts squeling again! I've done this three times already! :bad-word: Just how tight does this belt have to be! Anyone??? :banghead:

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have the same problem, very annoying.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Muchbzy said:
Okay, I keep tightening up the belt and in about a week it starts squeling again! I've done this three times already! :bad-word: Just how tight does this belt have to be! Anyone??? :banghead:
tried belt dressing yet? :) you can spray it on. maybe it'll fix you up.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I've found that baby powder works better than belt dressing. I had this very same problem with my belts and it went on for a couple of months. I was soo sick of it, i swore my belts were tight i reloosened them and retightened them several times.

To get to the point: I asked a master certified technician at my dealership and he was like these are loose, he tightened them so tight i thought they were gonna break(not that tight) but a lot tighter than i thought and they never squeaked again. Get a pry bar or llong bar and go to town, it might be better if you have some help.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Because you've only got five ribs instead of seven now, you've got to tighten it more than you would normally. Unfortunately puts extra strain on alt and wtr pmp bearings but oh well... more amps!

Phil D.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The narrower belt combined with the small pulley diameter makes it a real pain to keep the belt from slipping. Maybe you could have a 7-rib pulley machined to fit the MKIII alternator shaft? Just a thought! :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I put most of my weight on a three foot pry bar to tighten up serpentine belts. They should hold about 20lbs per rib in the belt, so if it's a five rib it should hold roughly 100lbs. That's used as well, new belts can hold up to about 30lbs per rib. Just in case you want to get technical.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pdupler said:
Because you've only got five ribs instead of seven now, you've got to tighten it more than you would normally. Unfortunately puts extra strain on alt and wtr pmp bearings but oh well... more amps!

Phil D.
I actually bored out the 5M pulley and attached it to the MKIII alt and I'm using the 7 rib belt.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
What brand of belt are you using? You might try using an OE 7-rib belt instead of an aftermarket belt. I've seen one or two aftermarket belts where the rib spacing and depth isn't quite right.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave A. said:
What brand of belt are you using? You might try using an OE 7-rib belt instead of an aftermarket belt. I've seen one or two aftermarket belts where the rib spacing and depth isn't quite right.
I got it from pepboys because you still have to find the right length. Thanks for the information though I might have to go factory if I can find the right size.

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
The factory belt for the MkII should fit if you have the original pulley on the 7M alternator. I don't believe the length is different its just the 5 to 7 rib difference. The pulley diameter is ballpark the same from what I remember.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts