Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any differences between the w58 on my mkii and the w58 on the na mkiii supras? i just figured the newer one may be upgraded a bit. thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
No advantage to the MkIII box. The shifter is further back and that's about it. Some of them probably have the ABS sensor as well.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
I use MKIII w-58s in several of my cars - just as SilverMK2 said, they really are the same, all the differences are minor; shifter sits back about 2" and it will have an ABS sensor on the top if the car came w/ it. I cant remember if I needed to change the reverse light plug but thats not a big deal either way. There is a slight difference in the gearing as well, the MKIII having closer/ quicker gearing. MKIII also uses a cast clutch fork w/ a slightly different throw out bearing - but either can be used. Lastly, I cant remember which is which off the top of my head - some W-58s have the steel center section and some are full aluminum (not the entire case - just the 1" or so thick section in the center). HTH

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: W58

I use MKIII w-58s in several of my cars - just as SilverMK2 said, they really are the same, all the differences are minor; shifter sits back about 2" and it will have an ABS sensor on the top if the car came w/ it. I cant remember if I needed to change the reverse light plug but thats not a big deal either way. There is a slight difference in the gearing as well, the MKIII having closer/ quicker gearing. MKIII also uses a cast clutch fork w/ a slightly different throw out bearing - but either can be used. Lastly, I cant remember which is which off the top of my head - some W-58s have the steel center section and some are full aluminum (not the entire case - just the 1" or so thick section in the center). HTH
I'm not sure this is correct. I'm fairly certain the gearing inside the transmissions are the same. Wish I had some of my old car mags handy to verify.......

Sonny

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
I'm not sure this is correct. I'm fairly certain the gearing inside the transmissions are the same. Wish I had some of my old car mags handy to verify.......

Sonny
well I dont have any printed info that confirms this but way back when I first got the '89 MKIII W-58 - I compared it gear for gear to the original one in my '82 MKII and they were indeed different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts