Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a stock MKIV steering wheel will fit an 82? Would I need the whole steering column?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a side pillar mount for my A/F guage? I'm not sure if they make any for my car and if not which car can I "borrow" it from (i.e. Accord, Prelude...) Thanks for all the help guys. Happy modding! :twisted:

·
Registered
675 Posts
caught a post on supraforums a while back where some of the guys had ordered some from someshere.
\don't know if it was a group buy or what , might do a search over there to see who got them.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
not sure if it fits, I imagine it does, but there are airbags in all mk4 wheels, not sure if you've thought of that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kool thanks for all the help. I've found the gauge pods! Woo hoo.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SupraFiend. Yea I know there's an airbag but I wouldn't need it since my car didn't come with them anyways :)

Ok I've installed the A/F Gauge but I don't think it's working the way it should. Shouldn't there be only one lighted bar the moves back and forth? I've got like 5 bars lit up at once but it still moves. What could be the cause of this? Bad O2 sensor?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The steering wheel from a mkiv will not fit a mk2 nor a mk3. (In case you were thinking, a mk3 steering wheel wont work either.) You will need to modify the hub to get it to work. Not recommended. Why do I envision Laurel handing Hardy the steering wheel? :cry: But seriously, I would not recommend trying to convert them. Besides there are plenty of companies like Momo that make great looking steering wheels with hubs that fit the car and for less money than even a used mk4 steering wheel. Besides you'd be spending money to fill in that ugly gaping hole and will have to make the horn work.

Here's mine with a Veilside steering wheel:

Another club member with an old Momo:

There are some other members on this forum that have other aftermarket steering wheels.
Check out MOMO

·
Registered
202 Posts
MMM :) I like the veilside wheel...got any place I can pick it up and price and what all I will need to do this? I like it a lot! :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Those are some cool wheels i was also thinking of putting either a mk4 or mk3 stearing wheel on my car but this one had to do. Tell me what u guys think.
:twisted:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I picked it up at autozone it was like 50-60 bucks. IT aint nothing flashy but i like it. IT works the same :D

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
James,

Correct, a MKIII steering wheel will not bolt directly w/o modifying the hub, but yes, it can be done. Don Culbertson has a 89 MKIII tri-spoke wheel on his 84 P-Type. Since that wheel is only available in Black & his interior is the Gray/Black, it worked out perfectly.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Forgot about that one Chris. He did put the mk3 steering wheel on his mk2. :)

The Veilside steering wheel is becoming harder and harder to find. They had stopped importing them for a while. Veilside didn't have a readily available source for the hub adapters. Check out any authorized Veilside dealer in your area for stock. You will need a Nardi hub adapter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys. The reason I was thinking about a MKIV steering wheel was because my friend has one and his stock steering wheel is just sitting in his garage. I was going to see if he would sell it to me but I guess I'll just look into getting a Momo one. That Veilside one looks beautiful! Sucks to be a poor college student :cry:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Speaking of MOMO wheels

James, assuming that the correct adapter can be used/found, can the TRD (Momo) steering wheel that the MKIV guys are importing from Japan fit on our MKII's???? Hrmmmm....

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Chris:

TRD Steering wheels: If you are talking about the one's with the airbag, then no. These have the hub spline built into them and are designed as a direct replacement for the 93.5-96 mkiv. (Can be used with the 97-98 mkiv with a airbag harness adapter.)

As far as Momo hub adapter being available for the mk2. Yes, they are readily available. So you can go through the line Momo steering wheels and take a pick. Momo hub adapter part # 7711.

For those that like jaunts in the junkyard, according to Momo the following cars require the same hub adapter:

84-88 Corolla
82-85 Celica
82 4WD Tercel
85-87 4WD Pickup
83-92 Cressida

1 - 16 of 16 Posts