Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I can safely cut holes in the stock plastic cover over the airfilter. Will this improve airflow a bit?
I am not ready to get a POD filter or anything, but am just wondering if I can do anything for free at the moment.,

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes you can. A "depaneled" air box is a quick and simple mod. I had one for two years until I got the funnel cone filter. I noticed a difference after cutting the box.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
Cut the shit out of the bottom of it instead. This allows you to still run stock classification if you ever autoX.

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!
And if your not going to compete then do what I did. I cut a 4 by 6 opening (approx) around the existing opening. Then I removed the locator tab on the air box so i could aim the new opening at the fender wall where the wires come through. This reduces the amount of hot engine bay air that gets drawn in somewhat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
does anybody have any pics of their cut stock filters? i went to the page that was linked but i wanna get some ideas as to what everyone else has done. thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
ok but where on the box do i cut?...could it be just random placement just do that u get more airflow?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
ive seen an airbox that was nothing more than the center of the end, and some thin plastic strips to hold it together.

literally, it looked like a cage, i probably wouldnt go that far, but its one option.

most people just cut two or three nice big holes into it, at least to tide them over till they get a K&N cone filter.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
dogstar said:
ive seen an airbox that was nothing more than the center of the end, and some thin plastic strips to hold it together.
That's what mine looks like. I left three strips about an 3/4" wide equidistant apart and that's it. Big difference.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
supraii said:
What is the big black tube that looks like a air storage is for?
What is the function of it?
thanks!
Thats called a "snorkle" and is a sand trap IIRC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts