Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally managed to get my car to pass somg :p

However, the guy at the test only shop told me that my Intake pipe and headers are illegal. The good thing is that he let my fly by this time :twisted: . I have a Toysport intake and Doug Thorley Headers. Now I know that the headers are leagal right? what about the toysport intake?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
if you lice in california... it should have the CARB# on the part to be legal

·
Registered
118 Posts
the guys are probly train to tell pple if the breathing components on a car are NOT stco then are illigal thats my guees

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3000cc MK2 said:
well my headers have some numbers stamped on them, are those the ones your talking about?

BTW KALI4NIA= California :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
zankone said:
3000cc MK2 said:
well my headers have some numbers stamped on them, are those the ones your talking about?

BTW KALI4NIA= California :wink: :lol:
Zank,

I live in California, and my car passed the analyzer and the visual inspection at a test-only station with NO issues whatsoever. Test only stations are supposedly MORE anal than a regular smog check place, and I guess a certain percentage of cars end up being tested there - trying to get the "gross poluters" off the road.

The tech saw the intake pipe, open element filter and even nosed around the throttle body - all of which have been replaced with parts from Rabid Chimp.

He told me the intake on the car now is probably a more sound design than what was on the car OEM (better connections and better flow). He said any inspector in California shouldn't give me a bad time, as long as the car has all the smog equipment it's supposed to have.

I don't know where you are in California, but in "Fresno" they aren't so anal...and honestly, I don't know that they can legally fail you for what you have on your car. Sounds like BS to me.

If in the future you find a tech giving you a line of crap like that, I'd get a 2nd opinion if I were you.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I'm just glad that I dont have to go through this again for this car. I was just wondering why this guy at the test only told me this :? I know that the DT Headers come with a little sticker that has some numbers on them, how about the Toysport intake?

Now I have to start prepping my black one for somg check too :x :mad:

BTW Im in the L.A. area, every now and then I take a cruise to Fresno :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
The "Thug Dorleys" are 50 state legal. I have the CARB # sticker that came with the headers. I opted not to stick it in the engine bay for fear of it getting dirty and non readible. The sticker is no good to me if they can't read it so I just show them the sticker and he runs a check on them.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yea, Call DT and get them to fax you the carb cert paperwork. When I had the DT's, I bought them before they were carb certified. One day a smog shop gave me shit about them. I called DT, found out they got a cert for them, and they faxed me the paperwork to show the smog dude. They may even send you a sticker nowadays.

Christian

·
Registered
310 Posts
Old Skool 82 said:
The "Thug Dorleys" are 50 state legal. I have the CARB # sticker that came with the headers. I opted not to stick it in the engine bay for fear of it getting dirty and non readible. The sticker is no good to me if they can't read it so I just show them the sticker and he runs a check on them.
same here man i carry mine with all my other imp. papers. Car reg, Insu papers ect..

·
Registered
791 Posts
The ToySport intake is probably not CA smog legal, most of them aren't. However, K&N IS CA Smog legal, so if you really need ta, buy their cheapest intake, get the sticker and use if for the Toysport one! If ya keep the intake really clean, just tell 'em its the latest thing from K&N, and you just got it a week ago!!! :roll:
The problem isn't that they won't pass smog, its that most companies that make intakes(I have the S&B filter w/a C&C Motorsports pipe), don't wanna go through the hassles of certifying it for CA Smog. I've been told that its absolutely ridiculous what the state makes these companies do to get that damned decal! Mostly its paperwork and not even the product's ability to pass smog!!!
Welcome to the smog nazi state...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts