Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking in on my 86 and found some moisture around the pass side of the spare tire. Anyone have a problem with this? only rust is in the corners of the hatch and it's not that bad yet. Thanks god!!!!

jeremy

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
From what I've heard and read that's where the MKII's have a problem with rust which would probably lead to your moisture.

·
Registered
31 Posts
you might have a leaky rear window glass seal you have to get on it before it
start to rust everything

·
Registered
237 Posts
Check the rear modings where they attach to the rear fenders in the hatch area or the taillight gaskets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
its a common problem
since the cars a getting a bit old these days
the rear window is only vacuum sealed and begins to leak after time
just pop it out and reseal it with silicon and that should do the trick

·
Registered
195 Posts
foonanas said:
I was checking in on my 86 and found some moisture around the pass side of the spare tire. Anyone have a problem with this? only rust is in the corners of the hatch and it's not that bad yet. Thanks god!!!!
Well... It's quite possibly what others have suggested, a leaky hatch window. However, last year when I was restoring my '86 supra I gutted everything in the rear of the car. This meant removing screws that were screwed into the floor of the hatch. This left small open holes in the floor od the hatch. One day I looked in and noticed water all over and i was wondering if I had a leak. Then a realized the water was just spashing in through those tiny screw holes. So, I guess the first thing I would ask you is, have you removed any screws from the hatch floor?

The other thing that has caused moister build up in the rear was when my rear window washer sprayer hose somehow disconnected from it's fasteners. When I tried to spray the washer fluid on my hatch window nothing sprayed onto the glass, and a few seconds later I noticed liquid dripping from the ceiling. That too could be a possibility of where moisture is coming from (possibly leaking down the C pillar into the hatch).

- Mike

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Sounds like a window leak, I've got the same prob. Im having my hatch redone with new seals and LOTS of silicone, I've heard this is a common problem with the mkii's. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My Hatch area was perpetually wet. I had holes in the spare wheel well also. When I put on the 85 hatch all the water went away. There was none whatsoever coming in through the large holes in the spare wheel well. It was all coming from the hatch. Once it all dried I fibreglassed the spare wheel well and everything is fine.- I also had a hole above the rear wheel-passenger side. I just finished 'glassing all that. I used 8 square feet for the spare wheel well(overkill). I also used almost 8 square feet on the passenger wheel well. It looks like [email protected] but it is very strong. I have eliminated about 99% of the creaks and rattles by doing these three things(hatch, spare wheel well, pass.wheel well). I still have about one kit left (8 square feet to a kit) so I am gonna get creative. Maybe front speaker boxes(in dash).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts