Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Mopar swaps for the Mk2??

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  abdelillo2 
#1 ·
Sort of a unorthodox thought when it comes to these cars. But i want to get some opinions and maybe even advice on doing these big swaps in our cars.

Here’s the scenario. I’ve been making decent progress on resurrecting my 85 5-Speed 5MGE I bought in the summer. I’ve gone from a car that would not start and with major lighting issues to a near roadworthy car. Still tinkering with some issues related to engine performance.
Looking towards the future, I may want to ditch the stock powertrain setup.
Other than the Supra, I’ve built my knowledge around Dodge trucks, particularly the 92-03 Magnum blocks. My first truck was a 93 2wd Dakota with a 3.9 V6. I still own the truck, but it was severely damaged in an accident. The engine is still good with less then 200k (in Km btw), never burned a drop of oil. Then I’ve got my current 94 Dakota 4x4 that came stock with a 5.2 V8. I swapped that engine out with a 5.9 360 out of a 98 Dakota R/T. Needless to say, I know these 3 engines better than any other.

What I might want to plan is to take the V6 and throw it into the Supra. All the trucks are automatics, but I’d like to keep the Supra manual. The Dakotas came with manual options, like the NV3500 5-speed. But I’m curious if there’s other options out there. My goal would be to do this swap with as little modification as possible. Already aware of potential engine mount adapting issues and tranny fitment. But I’d like to hear some opinions about the idea, maybe someone who has great knowledge on both Dodge and Toyota setups. What’s the best route to follow with a V6/V8 magnum swap for the MkII? Is it worth it?
I understand that sticking to the “Toyota Formula” is the easiest way to go. But I have no easy access to a 7M or 2JZ, and the respective trannies. Plus I’m looking to try something different vs the infamous LS swap. I’m only looking at what resources I’ve got at hand.
This could be a very informative thread to anyone looking to do a similar project. Whether it turns out to be good or bad, it’s an idea being thrown into the ring for discussion.

See less See more
#2 ·
I parted out a mk3 Supra many years ago and sold the r154 transmission to a coworker who was building a 69 Plymouth Fury Convertible. He had figured out somehow that the r154 would bolt up to his 318. But I don't know if that was direct or if he was buying some sort of adapter plate. If I remember right, he said he read about the r154 swap on a Jeep Cherokee forum and figured it out from there. So maybe that's a lead for you. But that's the whole spirit of hot-rodding. You go to a salvage yard, take a part off one brand of car, carry it across the yard and see if it will bolt up to another brand of car. It sometimes is amazing how many parts cross-fit between makes and models, but if they had to make all totally unique parts for every model, we'd never be able to afford any new car.

#3 ·
I find it kind of hard to believe you don't have access to 2JZs. They came in most Lexus models for over a decade and a half plus every JDM importer has like 10 of them. Problem with most V engines is getting the exhaust around the steering shaft. The R154 which is made by Aisin, was also used in Jeeps and Solstices/Sky with changes.

If you ask me it seems like a lot of work to end up with something maybe marginally better than what the car came with.

#4 ·
As always, I agree with Silver MK2 and his common sense approach. Plenty of 2JZs out there and the info to go with it and they do fit into the engine bay (barely)

#5 ·
Both good points SilverMk2 and supkar! I know of a fair amount of 2JZ blocks up for grabs here in Alberta. Priced reasonably too.
My idea is trying to be more budget friendly. That’s considering I have an entire truck with both engine and pcm/wiring to go with it. When I said not easily accessible, I am referring to how much it would be to buy a good engine assembly to throw in. Looking at what’s for sale, I’d need at least $3-4k. And that doesn’t include appropriate wiring and computers. But I understand that the Magnum may not be the best way to go, and I would have to spend the right amount of money to get something good and easy to swap in. That’s why I’m throwing my thoughts out here for criticism. I appreciate both your replies!
Pdupler that’s interesting! I knew Jeep used some Aisin gearboxes to go with their AMC blocks. Didn’t realize the R154 was basically rebadged as the NV3550 for the market. I would assume the 318 was the original LA block casting. The Magnum blocks are updated versions of the LA, but I believe the bolt pattern for the bellhousing was changed. I’ll have to check out the Novak Conversion website and see what all they offer for AMC/Jeep/Mopar kits.

#6 ·
You might try to buy a Camry with with body damage and you can get money back parting it out.

#7 ·
You might try to buy a Camry with with body damage and you can get money back parting it out. You would then have the electronics to go with it, correct?

#8 ·
I am just wondering where all did you get in this process? I too am very familiar with the dodge v6 magnum and the v8 engines. I am thinking that if a mopar magnum build was your goal what about SRT4 enginest? Honestly, a well built stroker 360 to 427, aluminum heads and big ol turbo will make all the power this chassis can handle. They have a turbo magnum facebook group that's pretty active and the people are pretty cool. Stroker kits and available still for the magnums. Now for the 5 speed acpect I am not entirely sure I think that some of the folks on the facebook group would know more. That would depend on what exactly you want the car to do. For a back road corner carver, a lightly cammed 318 and nv3500 would do the trick. Gearing might be a nightmare but doable. If you want straight line track car I would go with automatic 46re, built with stronger clutches, they a trans controller that'll change the change the shift points on the 46re. Anyways, just let me know where you are at, at this point. Be blessed and stay healthy.

A.J. Torres

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.