Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i tried the search thing a few times, but i dont recall seeing this question asked or answered before anyways.

my cars developed a gurgling and bubbling sound behind the dash recently, and its started to run a lil low on coolant here and there.
it just started, so im not sure how much its absorbing, but ill find out soon enough i guess.

basically, im gonna guess that this is a heater core going south, and i think the heater blower is going to, as its developing a little tick when its on high speed.

is this a symptom of a bigger problem, or am i right in guessing the heater core is just pissing away my coolant?

can i get away with bypassing the heater core for a couple days to test my theory, and how would i go about doing so?

thanks in advance folks :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sounds like your hearing air in the system. You need to find out if the coolant level is low and why. If no signs of coolant on ground, try the passenger side carpet/floor if you suspect the heater core leaking. If you find nothing, are you seeing any white smoke in the exhaust? COuld have a H/G issue, blowing coolant. You can bypass the H/C simply by disconnecting the two hoses going to it on the firewall and joining them together with a pipe nipple or other suitable tube, and a couple hose clamps. Definately wait till it is cooled down first. :eek:nfire: No ideas on your "ticking" blower.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i dont see any coolant on the ground, and i just filled the coolant yesterday, thought i burped it pretty well.

goddamn cars...

·
Registered
733 Posts
If the heater core is leaking, you should be having problems with fog on the inside of the glass. Don't do this at home, but you can wipe the glass and taste the anti-freeze. It has not afffeected me a bit.

To by-pass the heater core, just plumb around the water valve. It's on the firewall pass side, with the small hoses attached to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts