Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Story behind the issue:
Recently, I fixed the problem for the headlights not retracting up and down; bad fusible link loop plug next to postive terminal of the battery. Now another problem.

It rained here yesterday in Norcal. While driving on the streets at yesterday night with the headlights on, I noticed both headlights flickering momentarily but not completely blacking out. I didn't think much of it except oh, a loose wire or something. And then, pitch black happened and I couldn't see the highway in front of my car. I could tell the fogs were still on and all interior lights and dash lights still worked. I was lucky enough to be driving on the highway with the lights of many cars to spot me the way. I kept the light switch on with the fogs and tail lights and brakes working fine. 5 minutes later when I got off the highway and onto the streets, both lights(lowbeam) suddenly comes back on. But since this morning the lowbeams do not work at all anymore.

I'm not sure if the rain had anything to do with it, but it's just a guess that water shorted a connection somewhere. This is the 1st time it has ever happened.

Problem:
-The low beams do not light up anymore when the headlight switch is turned on.

-All other lights work; fogs, dash, interior accessory lights, rear tail, brake lights, emergency, turn signals, and even high beam. The bulbs for both lamps have been checked out ok. I did a quick inspection of the fuses next to the battery and driver kick panel; they are ok and not burned. Pink and Yellow fuselink next to the battery are intacked. The black box fuselink and loop wire fuselink plug "look" ok.

-I've looked through the online TSRM and also have the Repair Manual Book with it; I'll be checking and troubleshooting the relays as I have spares in handy.

It's already too dark to inspect the car so I'll do it tomorrow.

HELP!
(it's a 85ptype 5spd, H4 Sylvania bulbs)

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
mine did the same turns out bo be a bad headlight + wipers control assembly, yeah that one in the steering column, i guess TSRM will show you how to test it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check that today along with other wires. Seems to be bad ground or lost connection with the situation I had, but not sure.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
rain=corrosion=bad connection
I think the rain might have aggravated the problem

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still no low beam light...
I had little time today to check due to work but did a bit of quick and visual troubleshoot.
- Connections of the headlight switch checked out ok; no burn or loose wires, I even swapped in a good spare light and wiper switch assembly and check the wires/plugs while at it.
-Connections of the black relay box next to the battery check out ok; no loose wires/plugs/ or burned fuse.
-Plugs and wires that connect to the H4 bulbs checked out ok.

This sucks.
I'll double trace connections and power tomorrow when time allows.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Work during the day didn't allow much time for me to troubleshoot so I'm working this through the night to figure it out. Looking through archive threads I found the following with similar symptoms of others whose had the same issue.
I noticed today that the 'blue light' indicator on the dash gauge does NOT light up when the highbeams are switch on.

The problem from this person's car was the "red and light blue wire"
Post #15 mentions the 'red & light blue wire' but I'm having tough time locating it. http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=32375&highlight=highbeam&page=2

Post #23 mentions the "wire to PIN2- red and blue stripe. Gonna check this also tonight while I'm at it.
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=32852&highlight=red+light+blue+wire&page=3

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So again I had little time during the day to work on this...so I decided to locate the 'red blue stripe wire' that runs off from a 'white plug' next to the battery. Actually, one side of the plug connection has the wire colored 'red with blue stripe' and the other connection has it 'pink with baby blue stripe.'

Per reviewing many threads and the ones I posted I found the following connection of the famous 'red with blue wire stripe' burnt at this connection. Upon braking the brittle plug, I found the following wire in this condition....

I'll check for continuity and power tomorrow/thanksgiving as I'll have plenty of time to replace it with a spare good condition plug and wire. My bet is that this is the culprit. The 'pink with baby blue stripe' is the one that comes off the headlight bulb/seal beam connector.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved!

This wire was the culprit. Wire and plug was replaced. I'm not sure what caused it; maybe the rain a couple days ago caused this to get burnt. Low beam lights work and the high beam indicator on the dash gauges light up as normal when set to high beam.

There is another 'red with blue stripe wire' and it comes off a round white plug next to the battery. This wire is with the collection of wires that runs to the starter. It was checked and not burnt.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
I would higly suggest some of the Dielectric Water Repellant Grease!! If you have relays light bulb plugs etc. Anthing that's near the headlights or the radiator area of the car that'll get wet when you're driving I would put that stuff on it.

I recently had to replace a relay for my e-Fan. I mounted the control unit so the wires would point down, however the relay was pointed up (meaning no water would gather/trickle UP into the fan control, but it COULD trickle/gather down into the relay). e-Fan was acting up, coming on and going off not staying on etc. Car was getting hot. Pulled the relay, had a half thimble-full of water in it and stunk like burnt electronics. Replaced the relay, and FIPG'd the hell out of the entire circumference and good to do.

Mind you I went a different way. I put the Form-In-Place Gasket around it instead of Di-Electric Grease because I know water/rain moisture will be getting in there again, and I can NOT afford to blow my engine/over heat it. I needed to make FOR SURE water moisture stayed out.

But Di-Electric Grease is great. Repels water, conducts electricity!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tip. I did get a bottle of Dielectric Grease to use on the connections and plugs as I was at the parts store getting a bottle of quick dry electric wire cleaner; they were next to each other on the shelf. It's a small $8 bottle but well worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts