Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most horsepower that anyone has heard of out of a 5MGTE motor and how did they get it? I am at high altitude and it has sucked the life out of my motor having no air. I can never seem to find any Dyno specs on this subject.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not to be a jerk, But how much money do you have to spend and time while the car is tied up in a shop. And then it all might go bad and you end up without a car and lose the money spent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I live at about 6000 feet above Sea level and I’m driving a car that has 140,000 miles on it that originally put out 143 hp. I’m estimating I have about 100 horse power right now. All cylinders have perfect compression and I have installed a K&N Drop in air filter and a complete new exhaust except for the exhaust manifold. So what would you guys do? I have been around long enough to See certain cars appreciate in value and I believe this generation of Supras will do the same. This car is in perfect shape and I do believe there is something to be said for matching numbers on the engine block. Therefore, how do I get more horsies out of this engine. I can barely keep up with interstate traffic when they are driving 90 miles an hour

·
Whistles
1,050 Posts
Leave it stock for value, imo.

·
Founding Member
6,250 Posts
Leave it stock for value, imo.
While as a card-carrying member of the NCRS and MCA, I often preach originality, I'm not so sure that its going to be as highly prized for 1980s cars as it was for muscle cars, particularly in the engine bay. After all, our era was artificially held back by government emissions mandates that exceeded the available technology of the time. What people are going to want is a car that's appearance is exactly like the one they drooled over when they were a teen but that goes at least as fast as their grandkid's modern Kia. I think if you were to do a turbo conversion on your 5m very tastefully, very professionally, with period-correct parts/methods as it would have been done in the late 80s, and above all, do not cut or drill anything or lose any original parts, then you could have the best of both worlds. As long as you have all the original parts stored safely away in a box and labeled so that the car could be returned to stock with a few weekends worth of work, then no-harm, no foul.

I believe most of the basic 5mgte conversions were getting something in the low 200s. But its a very light car by today's safety, technology and luxury encrusted standards so even a 50-60hp increase over stock is transformative. However, going for maximum power output would be stretching the value equation as you start having to upgrade more and more of the driveline to withstand the strain. That ultimately leads to irreversible modifications or at the very least, its no longer just a couple of three-day weekends to return it to stock if the values should trend that way.

Plus, this is a Supra L-type with already 150K miles on it. Its not the most collectible of mk2 examples out there. If it had say 80K miles or less, I'd be pleading by all that is Holy to keep it bone stock, but value-wise I think this is more like putting a few go-fast goodies out of the Summit catalog on a base 307 Nova that your grandmother already fetched an awful lot of groceries in. As long as you're not cutting, drilling, welding or otherwise doing irreversible changes, I think it would be OK.

·
Whistles
1,050 Posts
Makes sense explained like that.

As long as you are satisfied. Which may not be for very long if you want that Kia power. :)

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
I moved from Southern California to Northern Colorado about a year ago, and I know what you mean about power loss.

So far all I have is a Raptor Air Intake tube and a non stock exhaust. I'm thinking of ditching the engine driven fan to cut the parasitic losses a bit, but that's about it.

Mine was on the dyno at Supras In Vegas two years ago and put out 142 HP to the wheels. One of my new friends has a chassis dyno, so I'm making plans to run the car here to see what the difference is.

- Jim

·
Registered
491 Posts
I moved from Southern California to Northern Colorado about a year ago, and I know what you mean about power loss.

So far all I have is a Raptor Air Intake tube and a non stock exhaust. I'm thinking of ditching the engine driven fan to cut the parasitic losses a bit, but that's about it.

Mine was on the dyno at Supras In Vegas two years ago and put out 142 HP to the wheels. One of my new friends has a chassis dyno, so I'm making plans to run the car here to see what the difference is.

- Jim
That's actually kinda impressive given the age of our cars. That's only a 11.25% drop from the 160 Hp at the crank shaft giving you a very good indicator that your compression and timing /fuel mixture was spot on.

Additionally parasitic loss of accessory components and drive train is comparable to modern transverse economy cars.

I'm assuming your car is a 5 speed, but that's super impressive regardless.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
That's actually kinda impressive given the age of our cars. That's only a 11.25% drop from the 160 Hp at the crank shaft giving you a very good indicator that your compression and timing /fuel mixture was spot on.

Additionally parasitic loss of accessory components and drive train is comparable to modern transverse economy cars.

I'm assuming your car is a 5 speed, but that's super impressive regardless.
Yep, a 5-speed with a 4.30 rear axle.

I was quite surprised. I'd been hoping for 125+, but other forum members indicated it should be 140-ish. I'm sure the Red Line synthetic gear lube and diff lube along with the Castrol semi-synthetic oil in the engine helped a bit.

At 168,000 miles it runs great and has 170PSI compression +/- a few psi.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I only gave mine credit for like 120 but maybe I was in the same boat. Even the tired old 5M with well over 200K miles made me smile ear to ear after 4K RPM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts