Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Motive Brake Bleeder Warning

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ddd228 
#1 ·
So I bought my Motive brake bleeding system seven years ago. It came with clear/transparent hoses so you can see the fluid flowing. But recently I had three hose bursts in a row. The first was near the connection on the pressure unit and I thought it was probably just due to having been stored with a bit of a kink in it. So I cut off a few inches, reattached and tried again. It promptly burst again right about the middle of the hose. I went to the auto parts store and bought some real brake hose to replace the main hose. Then immediately the smaller diameter short hose on the adapter burst. A google search turns up numerous similar stories. Luckily it all just went on the floor and not on my exterior paint or anything critical. Anybody who has one of these tools, I recommend to replace ALL the hoses immediately before you use it again. I'd used it probably six or seven times in six years and it was fine, but I don't think those clear hoses are really rated for brake fluid and eventually were compromised by DOT 3/4 exposure. Other than the original hoses, I still like the unit and the adapters work fine.

On another note, if you are not driving your Supra very often, be sure to keep up with the maintenance, set yourself a calendar reminder or something as three years quickly turns into seven. Seems like just yesterday when I flushed the brake fluid last but checking my records it was way back in 2012 when I bought the bleeder. I had gotten the Supra out for some exercise a few weeks ago as I try to do once a month and it was pulling to the right. I wound up rebuilding both front calipers. DOT3 does not age gracefully.

See less See more
#2 ·
Phil,

Good PSA on what could be a potentially dangerous or damaging issue. Glad you caught it without too many associated problems and thanks for the reminder to replace the BF. I have recently purchased a hand pump bleeder kit and will used it this weekend after reading your suggestions.

David

#3 ·
Best place for these is in the trash. Too many times have I had the cap come loose and spray a fine mist of brake fluid everywhere. I use one of the harbor freight air compressor vacuum bleeder and it works great.

#4 ·
I read last night on another forum where somebody recommended not filling it with fluid, but rather just using it for the pressure and periodically replenishing the reservoir. That would be "safer" but when I flush brakes I run a couple a quarts through to make sure I get as much of the old fluid as possible cleared out. If I had to remove the funky cap with its chain link retainer to replenish the reservoir 8 ounces at a time, it would take forever. Now that I've got good hoses, I'm not too worried about that anymore. Never had a cap come loose so far, but I think what I'll do from now on is wrap an old bath towel or something around the reservoir and connections for just in case.

#5 ·
When you get these to work and NOT leak or blow the hoses,they are fast and thorough.
Fill the tank,attach the cap adapter and bleed away.
Much safer than doing this manually. You will NOT cause a master cylinder failure with this tool.
It's possible to ruin the M/C,bleeding the system manually.Don't let the brake pedal go to the floor.
It's not that expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KM5L0/?tag=car-bibles-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KM5L0/?tag=car-bibles-20
I still do mine Manually with an adjustable hood rod.
With our round master cylinders,it can be done by gravity ,also. Drop the quart bottle(Without spilling)into the M/C and let gravity do it's thing.Takes a long time.Safe,but very slow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.