Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing these on my car in the spring.

Has anybody ever done this to their car while the motor is still installed? can it actually be done? if so, any tips?

·
Registered
622 Posts
What is wrong with them? Reason I ask is I am doing a 7mge swap and don't want to mess with them later on if they can't do the job with the 7m's added power.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Undo the mount bolts, jack the tranny or use an engine hoist and go from there.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
wait did you swap in the 7m?
anyway yep hoist pull her up and change em out
why whats it doing?

Clinton

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always felt some engine vibration since I did the 7mge swap. I have had the 7mge in my car since august of 2008. When examining the oil pan clearance (with a 91 cressida 7m pan) it's next to nothing, if not touching on one side and plenty of clearance on the other. The only explanation I can see is some worn out motor mounts...and this was never noticeable with the 5mge as the pan was thin enough in the subframe area that contact was never made.

upon further inspection I do have a lot of engine movement when revving. so this points to weak mounts, aswell. all of these things fall in line with most of the rubber (door seals) etc. being swollen and ruined on my car, due to the large amounts of rust proofing on the car. This is why I'd like to try and replace the motor mounts.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Throw a piece of wood in there between the jack and what ever surface you lift the engine by, just to prevent damage / slippage. Be careful not to smash your fingers when breaking the nut and bolt loose! Those suckers are on there tight.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yeah, jack it up from the sump of the pan with a wide piece of wood or 2. Replace mounts with the poly GM transmission mounts, and use the supplied stress bar as a spacer on each side if need be. I did it this way with our two-tone, and no damage done.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I plan on doing the same in the future Steve, it'll just be like the last steps of installing the motor, raise, remove and replace. Only thing, the manifolds are all in the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts