Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently purchasing an MSD 6AL igniton kit and vibration coil blaster for my 82' supra. Can anyone give me some feedback on their MSD igniton upgrades? :D

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
Just make sure you mount the MSD ignition unit someplace outside the engine bay. MSD units do not like heat. I've heard the same comments from lots of MSD users. Engine will start cutting out and missing and lose all power if the unit heat soaks yet will idle smoothly. Also, don't cut the factory wires to the coil. Rig it up so that if and when it does heat soak that you can plug the factory setup back in painlessly and drive on the stock ignition till the MSD cools off. Thats what I did and I'm so glad because the first time the MSD screwed up I was a 150 miles from home. If you haven't already ordered, I was doing a little research to find something better to replace my MSD and it looks to me like the Crane ignition would be a more reliable design for about the same price.

Phil D.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The MSD has smoothed me out a bit - don't expect any power - I put the module under the rear seat armrest and modified the vent from the door opening to give air circulation - no problems with heat - use welding cable to run the wires. Why the 6L - the ECU still cuts you off at 6700 or so but power band on mine is such that I shift earlier. I've seen comments about heat soak on the tach adapter but mine is in the engine compartment with no problems.
Art

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The MSD unit if fine but I've heard that there really isn't a coil better than the stock one. They guys at ToySport told me this. Anybody else heard anything like this?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Muchbzy said:
The MSD unit if fine but I've heard that there really isn't a coil better than the stock one. They guys at ToySport told me this. Anybody else heard anything like this?

Hmmmm. Stock coil 12000 volts vs MSD Blaster 2 coil 45000 volts...

I'll take the 45000..... :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
pdupler said:
Just make sure you mount the MSD ignition unit someplace outside the engine bay.
Phil D.
Just to note, the my MSD is in my engine bay, and I have no problems with heat from it... The tach/fuel adapter, that's where I had problems. I had to move it.. I'll take pictures today and post for them for you guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts