Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been reading post about the msd 6 series box installs and i keep seeing this wont work without tach adapter comment. Can anyone shed light on this. Why does it not work without the adapter. What does the tach adapter do?
thanks all:32:

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I dont have the 6a box but I do have a btm and without the tach adapter all I would get would just crank and crank but never fire...once adapter installed it fired and worked perfect.

As for keeping it away from heat I mounted it in front of the radiator in the gap between header panel and rad support. My dual electric fans pull air nicely over it when im stopped and when moving get the natural breeze.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Underhood temps not a prob since my panel is mounted inside for the ignition stuff. So basically i need to go get and 8910 or my box won't work. Tach signal isn't a prob cause I cary that right from my coil to a diff tach but i guess the igniter is kinda import.

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
Or 8920??

·
Registered
788 Posts
you need it yes, because the MSD box does not output the correct type of signal for the car to understand. The adapter converts it to a usable signal and lets the ECU interpret the signal properly. both the 8910 and 8910-EIS should work if wired correctly, but from what i have seen on here the ones who have it working use the 8910 2 wire adapter.

suprawes has a diagram here http://www.afn.org/~wjh/tsc/supra/ignition/ignition2/ignitiondiagram.JPG

think of it just like an O2 sensor and a wide-band O2. you can't just replace the main sensor in the car with a wideband, because it puts out a different signal than what the ECU is looking for and it won't work. you need to use a wideband controller that has a regular O2 sensor simulated output so that you can hook that to the ECU for it to get the proper signal.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solid state thank you that's the explanation i needed. I understand it doesn't work I just wanted to know why, you know maybe find a loop hole or something but that works for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have an 84 w/ 5mge. I have converted all my gauges to AutoMeter including the tach. The tach has an output for ECU use. Anyone using this output for the MSD 6 series ignition box (Digital). I'm hoping that it could be used instead of the tach adapter. Anyone? The tach is working great off the old cluster tach wire. My schematic shows it going directly to the coil.

TheBassman 84 P Type

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
I have an 84 w/ 5mge. I have converted all my gauges to AutoMeter including the tach. The tach has an output for ECU use. Anyone using this output for the MSD 6 series ignition box (Digital). I'm hoping that it could be used instead of the tach adapter. Anyone? The tach is working great off the old cluster tach wire. My schematic shows it going directly to the coil.

TheBassman 84 P Type
In all my playing around with other tach signals/adaptors, only the MSD 8910 has worked with my MSD boxes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
After posting this I had a thought. It's kinda a catch 22. If the MSD can't use the coil signal then the signal will never get to the tach. Therefore the tach will not have the signal to output to the MSD :duh:

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts