Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up another Supra yesterday. Buddy bought it off craigs list a month or two ago and did some minor body work to it and installed a alt. Started to overheat on him and leaking oil. He decided he diden't want to mess with it anymore and needed the space and let me have it. I think the oil leak is cam tower seals, and it only had 1/2 gallon of coolant in it when I got it. Drained the coolant and have started flushing it.

1985 SDR Celica Supra 150,xxx miles some body damage and other minor problems (clear coat is toast, almost no rust though, need a front passanger fender and flair, ect) for $400 i coulden't pass it up.

3/4 shot

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

hood buffed out

Now to keep it or not...

·
Registered
234 Posts
how the hell do u ppl own so many damn cars?!?!? don't u have to pay registration!! costs me $500 a year just to drive my car on the road...

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
SDR's did not have a factory clear coat. If it cost me 500$ a year just to drive my car... I'm not sure what I would do. I had to pay 200 to get it registered in my name. then every year have to pay 50'ish for new tabs to keep it legal. Owning multiple cars here is commonplace and cheap.

·
Registered
234 Posts
lol damn you...costs me $250 for 6 months registration per car here :( so for 2 cars, one year would cost you around $1000 in registration

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Will,

What interior does it have???

<---- Pictures Dennis going for the SDR "fleet"... :)

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
did the car come with the missing flare?

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
you might be better off finding some 82-84 red cars... OOO! i know. red 82-84 supras in the middle, red 82 pandas surrounding them, then a bunch of whitpras. :D

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its got the black cloth int....

So I guess its red not SDR? also wondering about the crome rock gaurd, was that a dealer installed option? it's got "supra" in the same looking script...

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
its got the black cloth int....

So I guess its red not SDR? also wondering about the crome rock gaurd, was that a dealer installed option? it's got "supra" in the same looking script...
3D1 = Super Red (82 - 84)
3F2 = Super Deep Red (85-86)

As long as your data plate shows 3F2 you are ok for calling it SDR. :)

As for the rock guard, it's possible that was a dealer option... also could have been an aftermarket option back in the 80s. I really want to find someone with some car parts catalogs from the mid 80s to see what was really offered back then....

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well bad news....

BHG

Changed the oil/filter (had one of the orange FRAM filters on it ... grrr), flushed the cooling system with some flush and drained/filled until water was clear. Let it sit for a couple of days and yesterday started it up after toping off the coolant. I let it warm up and then revved it up. Started to over heat and I noticed the upper rad hose was hard as a rock so after using the vented rad cap to vent off the gasses a few times and noticing that the temp came down once the air was vented from the system I let it run for a while. I then notice the puddle of milkshake oil coming from the lower timing cover (about 8" round puddle) I've already got the upper timing cover off and cant see where the oil is coming from but can only assume its from the front main crank seal. I figure that since its warm I should do a compression test.

#1 = 185
#2 = 175
#3 = 145 (oil in spark plug hole)
#4 = 150 (oil in spark plug hole and all over plug)
#5 = 160
#6 = 185

I diden't bother to redo them after putting oil in the cylinder (needed to do a leak down too but ran out of time).

I checked the oil on the dipstick, full and with the tell tail sign of milkshake cloudiness.

I have a rebuilt head that’s from my 6m I'm thinking of putting on this.

Is there any differences in-between the 6m and 5m head I wonder? Also If I’m going to have to rebuild the bottom end because of water in the oiling system, new main or rod bearings? I guess I’ll have to take it all apart and inspect it to find out… at least we have this new bore-scope I can use to check out inside the cylinders.

will

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bam! time to do the HG again! lol

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I make no case for composite gaskets... They suck! LOL. If your not a mechanic, not using a metal HG is silly...

since the speedo quit working YEARS ago I haven't a clue, but the odom stopped at 216k, got is at 150k, I figure there at least 250k on it.

I drive it gentle some times, and other times well... (evil smirk face) so id say the HG is good for at least 100K and the stock head bolts are reusable at least once...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts