Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3.5 years of owning the car I was finally able to get it out on track which is why i bought it. Yesterday was an SCCA track night in America event at Heartland Park Topeka which is only a mile from my office.

The plan was to not push the car much in the first session and then gradually push it the next two sessions. Unfortunately I only did half a session because the engine got hot and I didn't want to risk damage.

Here are a couple of laps from that half session. Slow lap times and not the best lines since it was some shake down laps.

Since it is a 1UZ swap I recommend turning the volume up!

https://youtu.be/loCHiIX0KuU

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
EXCELLENT! Just an easy drive.I was right there in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to a local AutoX event in the car today. Its first event doing such an event. The car performed great and it scared a few of the guys in the class (Street Modified). They thought I was going to smoke them and their only reasoning was because I had a V8 (They all had 4 cylinder turbos). Most of them were right as I finished 3rd out of 5 but the guy that finished first is a multi-time trophy winner at Nationals. The car has a lot in it still even as it sits. I am used to low horsepower and FWD for AutoX so this was a little different for me.
I put my heart rate monitor on which syncs with my Garmin Virb XE camera and it was interesting that even though I workout 6 days a week and am in pretty good shape my beats per minute still got up to 137 during the run.

Here is a video of my best run: https://youtu.be/Wxh05Gk2I4o

As always I recommend turning up the volume.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got another Track day in before leaving for Solo Nationals. This time with a new radiator and louvers on the hood. I ended up having engine issues where it didn't like WOT. During the first session I just came in and had a few codes. Cleared them and it seemed to run ok again. During the second session I was able to get a few more laps before it didn't like WOT. This time I came down pit road and cycled the engine off and on and it ran great after that. During the third session I had to cycled it off and on a few times but this time just did it in a straight area where/when I could. In the video you can hear the engine shut off and back on between turns two and three on the first lap. Of course the video is of my best two laps (almost identical lap times) and in my second lap I blew the entry into turn 4. The chassis felt great and the engine never saw over 197. The brakes started to fade after a couple of harder laps so those upgrades will be on my off season list. The car is ready for SCCA Solo Nationals now!.

https://youtu.be/XmObSQbYYew

P.S. I have an in car camera view I am currently editing (if I can get my harry's lap timer data to sync with my GoPro).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Solo Nationals has come and gone and my performance was meh. On day 1 the car had throttle issues. I wasn't able to give it much throttle and even then it would spit and sputter and not run very well. That really stunk for many reasons but the biggest was the East course was one of the most fun courses I have ever driven at Nationals and not having WOT made me wanting more. I feel like I drove it good though. However, being the only NA car in SM and the lack of any throttle left me at DFL after day one. On day two I lowered the fuel pressure, put some tape between the two crank sensor wires and did my best to keep the ECU out of closed loop. One of those things seemed to help me as I had wide open throttle back on all three runs. I didn't drive the West course quite a well since I just don't have much seat time in the car with full power and r-comps on. I was thinking more about how the car was running than where I should place the car and I suffered from it. However, I moved out of DFL due to one car breaking and the driver getting into something they are not used to and also another car broke and didn't run on day two. My theory is you have to run and even though two people didn't run on day two I still beat them. So in terms of goals I had set for the car I met them. I wasn't DFL and the car while it didn't run the best still made all its runs and was able to be driven back to paddock and onto the trailer. Its now onto the offseason for the car which will includes a megasquirt ecu, new exhaust routing, more suspension additions and adding a rear wing and front splitter.

Here are the videos of my best counted run from each course:

East:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cQgAz_Cas

West:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-bNijhyjF4

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
I think it's great the car made it to Nats, competed, and made it back on the trailer. As you know now, in SM, it's not exactly a given!

Noticed you are hitting rev limiter in 2nd on the West course? How fast was that? Any plans to change the rear end gear ratio to better use that torque of the V8 ?

Hope our cars can meet up sometime!

Don L.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's great the car made it to Nats, competed, and made it back on the trailer. As you know now, in SM, it's not exactly a given!

Noticed you are hitting rev limiter in 2nd on the West course? How fast was that? Any plans to change the rear end gear ratio to better use that torque of the V8 ?

Hope our cars can meet up sometime!

Don L.
Since Nationals was only the second autoX in the car I haven't given it much thought. It's also hard to know going of just that one area of the course. The finish of the West course was probably the fastest finish I have seen at Nationals. AP1 S2000's where at the top of 2nd at that finish too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also forgot to add we got the Toyota's from the 80's together for a photoshoot. AutoXPix.com took photos and will be available soon. Here is a shot from my phone of them (4 in the picture, a 5th 80's Toyota ran but wasn't on site yet)

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
That's a great shot! I know the Komush Starlet locally. Wish my car had 1/2 the development of that Starlet! Your Supra looked great, especially those hood vents. I need to figure something out like that.

Where did you all get those Toyota decals on the hoods? Was there Toyota contingency this year? I like the hood decal regardless. Cool they come in different colors too!

So wish I could have been there too!

Don L.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a great shot! I know the Komush Starlet locally. Wish my car had 1/2 the development of that Starlet! Your Supra looked great, especially those hood vents. I need to figure something out like that.

Where did you all get those Toyota decals on the hoods? Was there Toyota contingency this year? I like the hood decal regardless. Cool they come in different colors too!

So wish I could have been there too!

Don L.
Toyota has had contingency at Solo Nationals for many years. They also have a contingency for ProSolo events as well. It was pretty cool the fact that all the cars had the Toyota decal in almost the same location. That wasn't planned. The AE86 is Chris Dorsey's and won DP last year and this year. He is getting ready to take it to XP next year.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a long offseason of getting a Megasquirt 2 to work with the engine. Finally got it going and tuned to the tune of 253 hp and 257 ft/lbs. Also added TechnoToyTuning drift knuckles and tie rods to the car. Also added Koni yellows on all 4 corners as well and upped the front springs to 600lbs (previoulsy at 450lbs). This past weekend was its debut for the year with an engine management system that works all the time and a better suspension setup. While I didn't set any records or beat anyone this weekend was more about getting the car out, get some seat time, and most importanly have fun. I accomplished all of that and the car didn't break all weekend. The event was the 2018 Tire Rack SCCA Lincoln Spring Nationals which is a ProSolo and Champ Tour over 4 straight days. Totalling 18 runs and 4 practice start runs. Played with the shock settings and just got more confidence in the car each run. Found that the stock limited slip is severely wore out. Got multiple reports of the car smoking the inside rear tire out of every corner and watching the video you can hear it too. Next up is a weir performance rebuild kit. In the meantime here are videos of my fastest runs:

ProSolo: https://youtu.be/4iM_YuMI2R0
Champ Tour West Course: https://youtu.be/jUw4kJrYhyU
Champ Tour East Course: https://youtu.be/mxvv-MDaL1s

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Very nice runs! Car sounds great! Any used stock rear diff is pretty much worn out. They didn't have much lock up even when new. The Weir kit is a good way to increase the lock up ability of the stock LSD, and it will be noticeable. Keep in mind the stock LSD is a 2 way unit, and rebuilding it will make it a stronger 2 way unit. 1.5 way LSD units are considered better for turning, and the drifting cars seem to like strong 2 way units. I use a 1.5 way LSD, would like someday to try a 1 way LSD, but it is a bit far down on the shopping list.

Sam could probably give you more insight into the pros/cons of torsen type LSD units like the Trutrac, or clutch types of which there is a variety. If a stronger stock type LSD is your goal, the Weir kit will do it, but look into the amount of preload it uses.

Don L.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG, that torque! Are you still running the auto trans or is your clutch slipping?
I would never run an auto! Have the factory W58 in it. The clutch is slipping in the video. In fact a couple of days after that event I went to an SCCA Track Night in America at Heartland Park. Clutch was slipping immediatly and only made it 3 laps before the car would barely move. I currently have the trans out and the clutch is toast. Season is most likely done as I just don't have the budget to get it all back together. With that, I am taking the time to rebuild the trans (needs it badly), new rear main seal and a true trac rear diff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts