Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in my intro thread my 83 P-type was stolen, recovered, and almost all fixed again (getting painted this week). The one thing I am having trouble with though is a replacement Mud guard for the right rear. One of the members (Kevin) has a set for the 85 but thinks they may not work for the 83. The question is will any other year work if I can't find the originals. I know the 82s won't but it what about the others like 84 or 85? It seems like the 84s are pretty similar from what pics I have seen but I am looking for expert opinion.

Options:
1. Find a pair of suitable rears and change both
2. Change out the entire set so they match if they can fit
3. Stick with the original if there is some mechanical reason nothing else will work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I look over the thread that explains the differences. So the question is can the later types (84+) be made to mount on the 83. Is it a matter of some new mounting holes or what. If one wanted to do both rears for example to make them look the same what would it take to make it happen. Are there other problems with this that make it just to much trouble to try.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I think it's just a matter of drilling the holes for the newer mudflaps to bolt to the fiberglass fender flare. Might want to get some of those metal clips with the threaded hole in them to slip on the flare first, like the front ones have. Then there's the one bolt underneath that goes into the flare (or a plastic square insert depending on month of manufacture).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's just a matter of drilling the holes for the newer mudflaps to bolt to the fiberglass fender flare. Might want to get some of those metal clips with the threaded hole in them to slip on the flare first, like the front ones have. Then there's the one bolt underneath that goes into the flare (or a plastic square insert depending on month of manufacture).
Yea, That what I was thinking I could do. That assumes the flare shape hadn't changed which probably didn't happen. The cars are so rare around here any more that it's not so easy to just go look at the differences. I thought I would look around a little more for the 83 and if can't find any then go for the mods needed for the 84 and change out both rears at least. Also I may have a lead on the 83 style as I write this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts