Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when building my exhaust for my 5mgte I kinda cheaped out on the muffler at first cause it was not a huge priority.
Tho I really dont mind the sound at all (I actually like it)
I really cant stand the look of it...definitely not the performance look/sound the rest of my car gives off.

My setup is ct26 on 5mge
Divorced Downpipe recirculated (3")
12" glass pack in place of cat (3")
Full 3" piping back to a
summit turbo muffler..

Here is summits description of the muffer

We knew our Summit® Turbo mufflers would perform before we cranked up the dyno. But when one of these mufflers produced 21 hp more than a leading competitor's muffler--well, we were floored. Made with free-flowing large diameter tubing, they give you a deep performance tone without being too loud. Features include roll-seamed end caps, aluminized external construction, and spot-welded inner baffles. Best of all, they're 100 percent American made!
Here is what just the muffler looked like

And here it is with a dual tip I made out of boredom (this picture DOES the tips justice)

I just want a good looking 3" inlet muffler that isnt going to break my bank tho.

I really dont mind the look of a well mounted (quality no schucks stuff) can muffler,
but I also like a good sized dual tip....

I have thought about a dual N1 style setup mounted nice and horizontal, maybe some like these

I also dont mind one nice chrome tip on a black muffler like my old NA setup

Sound is important as well, but since I have the turbo, and resonator, I think most anything will be quiet enough.
I know alot of 7m guys on supra forums like the Megan Racing GT can mufflers so maybe thats an option. Another option would just be a well mounted tip/tips on my current muffer or maybe going with a single in dual out muffer with two nice tips..

Just want to get some opinions.

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Sorry dude but I'm not really digging those single chrome tips or the dual cans. For looks alone, I'd go with the straight thru vibrant flat black 3" with dual tips. Looks stock/stealth. Much like flat black OEM with tips.

I'd also ditch the black-out tail lights so you don't get rear-ended.

My 2cents.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
saw that muffler and liked the style, but I think I would prefer the tips to be chrome and muffler to be black.

(as for the taillights they are plenty visible, the darkness has faded to a nice smoke now...again very visible)

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Got ya. Raptor may be able to hook you up with something. Or buy a twin tip muffler of your choice and spray bomb everything but the tips flat black.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got ya. Raptor may be able to hook you up with something. Or buy a twin tip muffler of your choice and spray bomb everything but the tips flat black.
I know George has a nice lookin magnaflow twin tip that is black with chrome tips but it is really more than I can justify spending on mostly a visual upgrade.

I have considered buying a cheaper dual tip muffler that I like and just painting the muffler black and leaving the tips chrome.
I have a local exhaust shop that i like to work through and I am gonna see what they have to offer tip wise for my current muffler.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My N1 gets nailed all the time. Dual N1 mufflers would be pretty bad. Not enough room under there for that. I believe the NA N1s are a bit smaller but you want a Turbo muffler correct???

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is plenty of room to get the dual N1 mounted up, tucked nicely.

Another idea would be to go with the dual N1 and paint the cans black, leaving the tips chrome.
just more ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Dual cans are gonna look retarded. I'd stick with something that looks OEMish.

However, I did like this style exhaust, but I don't think it would flow on your car.

IMO, the can only works if its tucked and at a functionally, low restrictive angle. IE not the mega sidewayz shit waiting to slice open your calf.

Good.

Bad.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Dual cans are gonna look retarded. I'd stick with something that looks OEMish.

However, I did like this style exhaust, but I don't think it would flow on your car.

IMO, the can only works if its tucked and at a functionally, low restrictive angle. IE not the mega sidewayz shit waiting to slice open your calf.

Good.

Picture that can x2. I love mine, I love the sound of mine. I wouldn't run 2.

You can see the size in the picture. Its tucked, yet hanging out low for damage. Turbo N1 = 4.5" tipped muffler.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts

I Just picked up this full exhaust (Doug Thorley header to tip) from Alex two days ago.
I'm not sure yet if I'm going to run a resonator and ditch the can, or what...
But one thing's for sure... I'm going to tuck what ever I run to sleep.
I'd take a hammer and beat the trunk up before my exhaust will ever stick out.
The LAST thing I need is some ass-hat to walk by and step on my exhaust

I've always liked chrome tipped exhausts on the mkii IMO.
I've had both single and dual chrome tips and they both looked great.

I; like you, am trying something new out. If it doesn't come out the way its wanted, you cant always change it back.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
get a magnaflow. i love the sound of mine. kinda has an exotic note to it when your cruising and sounds sick when you open it up. its not overly loud either. i got mine for $65 shipped, then found a tip that i liked for like $25.

·
Registered
843 Posts
dammm. Sorry Alex, the life of a drifter. Magnaflow 14815

·
Registered
515 Posts
Forgive me, but I've gotta ask here. Suppose I was the OP. Suppose I want a well-flowing exhaust, that's QUIET at the same time, who'd get to take my money? I don't know tons about exhaust yet, and even I love how some of the louder exhaust notes out there sound, but that question been on my mind for a minute.
Well a lot of exhausts come with a removable silencer that just bolts on / off.
But I also read in a thread the other day that RaptorRacing will be designing a high flow but quiet exhaust at the beginning of the year? Or at least, he plans on starting it at the beginning of the year.

But if you want to be REALLY sneaky... run a full length quiet exhaust, and weld in an exhaust cut off somewhere mid-car.
There are mechanical, or the more spendy electrical cut-offs.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Forgive me, but I've gotta ask here. Suppose I was the OP. Suppose I want a well-flowing exhaust, that's QUIET at the same time, who'd get to take my money? I don't know tons about exhaust yet, and even I love how some of the louder exhaust notes out there sound, but that question been on my mind for a minute.
Quiet and free flowing are two different things. Quiet requires big long muffler, free flow is more a straight thru. I'm sure there is a middle of the road, but you have to give a little on both sides. You've clearly stated you're not into the racing scene so you should choose a quieter muffler. Straight thru mufflers are a bit rasppy and tend to attract Hondas at every traffic light:whatever::naughty:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts