Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scored this pickup a couple of months ago...I'll try and get some interior pics once the weather is nice around here again (March)

88 4X4 SR5 22RE 5 Spd no power package. Awesome truck 257K miles

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Very nice, great deal too.

·
Registered
552 Posts
So when does the 5m get dropped into it..

:p

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd rather put an RZ in it...but that's ANOTHER project down the road. This truck runs great!

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
800? You've gotta be kidding! When I was looking, trucks like that 84-95 4x4 22re or 3vz, they were $3500-6k! 22re right? I would go 5vz - i love that engine now. Man, that thing is hot. Good score.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
800? You've gotta be kidding! When I was looking, trucks like that 84-95 4x4 22re or 3vz, they were $3500-6k! 22re right? I would go 5vz - i love that engine now. Man, that thing is hot. Good score.
Wade...5VZ would be ok...but requires a different trans, etc. The RZ is a great engine...and no timing belts to replace, plus they are cheap ($600 with ECU).

An RZ swap would have to be 'necessary'...meaning the 22R would have to crap out on me. I don't see that happening anytime soon...although it might need a radiator before too long. Nothing in the motoring world is standing between me and my Supra right now...except maybe my lack of knowledge in the wiring department and that includes pie in the sky swap ideas on my bargain pickup. :eekfacepalm:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Wade...5VZ would be ok...but requires a different trans, etc. The RZ is a great engine...and no timing belts to replace, plus they are cheap ($600 with ECU). :eekfacepalm:
Mark what do you mean by no timing belt to replace?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
OMG!! That thing is clean! It looks like it has no rust at all! My 4Runner has the usual on the front fenders but yours is ssooooo clean! Can we get a shot of the inside? Oh and what's an RZ? I don't seem to remember that one. :32:

·
Registered
472 Posts
hey man. i'll trade ya the 94 nissan i might be getting today for the truck. :)

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG!! That thing is clean! It looks like it has no rust at all! My 4Runner has the usual on the front fenders but yours is ssooooo clean! Can we get a shot of the inside? Oh and what's an RZ? I don't seem to remember that one. :32:
RZ refers to the 2RZ/3RZ-FE 4 cylinder engines out of the 95-04 Tacomas

hey man. i'll trade ya the 94 nissan i might be getting today for the truck. :)
Um...NO!:SM130 (1):

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I want it!! $800 is INSANE. my dad has a '90 2wd with 110,00km (68,000miles) and the only thing he's need to replace was the exhaust and a brake job. Other than the general maintenance such as fluid changes etc...that thing has given zero problems through it's whole life. Rust proofed every year, it's still very much mint after 19 years of Canadian winters. Those trucks are what made me look at toyota's...and I found the supra!

I do wish they had more power the 22re just....is asthmatic! but, it makes you realize you don't really need much to get work done, and can do it while getting good fuel mileage! we've had the snowmobile in the back of it every weekend for a few winters, full of wood and have towed the boat quite often too. damon's truck is all original too and has something stupid like 460,000miles! They are tough trucks!

I want one someday, and I really like you generation's boxyness too...makes me feel like I'm in back to the future! the problem, as wade mentioned is that the rust free ones are so expensive. In ontario, I've seen them go for 8k+!!

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Mark, if you go 3rz please document it.:naughty: Been thinking about replacing my dad's 22re with something better. The M series has too many drawbacks - can't keep a/c and along reliablity issues(do i need a disclaimer?). Did some searching on it a while back, but very few swaps are done. It looks similar or perhaps a bit more difficult than 5mge to 7mgte swaps, imo.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
.....Been thinking about replacing my dad's 22re with something better.....
How can you get any better than the 22RE?!?...although I assume you mean performance wise. Longevity, you can't beat it.

That truck is great and even better price! My ’85 GTS went 320,000 miles until the odometer pooped, drove it for nearly another year before passing it along to an out of town buddy 5+ years ago. I believe it’s still being driven. The body was Swiss cheese but nothing beats those 22RE’s! I saw an ’85 (if remember correctly) pickup at auction a few years ago with the factory 22RE turbo. Great truck, should have bid higher on it.

Excellent score!

Hindsight is always 20-20.
Scott

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've wanting one of those, and have been looking. And everyone here is selling them 3k and up. Cause it's a great work truck. I'm still looking for a deal like yours.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts