Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, it's been quite a while that I've been talking about restoring my Supra. My car is the '83 black one on my sig but since it was rusted (I believe) beyond repair I got a silver '85 car that looked to be in very good condition.

As you can see the car was in pretty good condition so I thought it would be a good base to start off my project with. On my black car I have done the 7mgte conversion and the plan is to transfer everything to the silver car. There was a slight problem though, as my friend George says (aka karaki) supras are meant to be in two colours: black and black and i can't agree more with him. So the silver car (even though it looks amazing in that silver) had to be resprayed in black as nothing else would do.
So to make sure that the car is really clean and that it will last with no rust issues I had to strip it down, check for any rust and of course respray any nook any cranny in black :D .

So after I stripped the interior of the silver car this is what I ended up with:

on this picture you can see the rust spots near the middle rear seat belt fittings. These were dreading signs that even in a car as nicely looked after as this one rust was existant. So I had to check everywhere and see if there was any other damage. Fortunatelly there was no other major rust anywhere else. The two spots appear to have been initiated from inadequate sealing from undernieth, where the two fittings bolt to the floor of the car.
So having stripped the car totally, having checked and sandpapered every dodgy spot there is, we applied Rust Bullet everywhere in order to make sure that the rust would not come back easily again - hoping that the greek warm climate will aid in that also.

Another issue that I was really concerned with was the factory construction imperfections especially at the rear of the car as well as reinforcing the rear body. And by talking about reinforcing we also spotwelded along the sidewells inside the car cabin so as to reinforce the main body and add some rigidity. We also did weld all the gaps that are undernieth the rear turrets:

and of cource the turrets themselves

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
nice work..black supras are nice, but with a silver paintjob like that, leave it. Id rather have the original color when the condition is like that.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Yannis....you're doing a great job so far...I'll bet the car will look great when you're done!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
dannymk2 said:
nice work..black supras are nice, but with a silver paintjob like that, leave it. Id rather have the original color when the condition is like that.
Malibyte said:
Yannis....you're doing a great job so far...I'll bet the car will look great when you're done!
DarrowConley said:
awsome work. keep us up dated. you are doing the samething i want to do. i just don't have the time, money, and extra vehicle to do it.
Fellas thanks for the good words. Danny that silver is long gone from the car man, I haven't finished posting pix :runaway: and by the way that silver is not the original paint job, nice job non the less though.

There were certain bits that needed attention under the floor of the car. These were all cleaned and welded and then sealed with polyurethane sealant. We had all the factory sealants burned off the car inside-out and we made sure there was no moisture trapped anywhere. Then we used polyurethane sealant every where.
Some pics from undernieth the car after first coat of rust bullet and application of sealant over the welded/repaired areas:

In the mean time I made sure that all the front suspension bits and the steering rack were properly cleaned up and artistically repainted :good:

Same wild metal flake blue coating was applied to the 5 stud hubs I got from bbaacchhyy in australia. Hey Michael thanks again pal!!!

I've been also working on the rear subframe. After Carlos Brown :hail: has kindly shared his diagrams regarding the rear camber adjustability mod (unlike other cs members that I asked information from :frown: ) I now know how to go about fixing the rear camber problem. Also I've been working on a rear spring height adjustability setup. As soon as I have pictures of the rear control arms fitted with the perches we're fabricating I'll post them. The basic idea is actually fitting a threaded sleeve on the control arm that will allow about 3" of adjustability. The top mounting bump stop will have to be eliminated and cylindrical fittings will be fabricated and welded under the rear turrets so as to secure the springs in place. The springs will be of the 2 1/4" variety. I'm still calculating what the actual free lengh should be, it will definatelly be quite short though, maybe 8", even shorter. This will be 250lbs/inch.
Here's a sketch of the threaded sleeve and the base that will be mounted on the control arm:

and here's the area undernieth the rear turret where the bump stop with it's base were cut:

the poor bump stop:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The gearbox tunnel has been taken care of and prepared for my R154 tranny:

the black patch is just a replacement for the stock insulation that broke under the pressure we applied to push out (or shall I say in?) the tunnel. There's no hacked hole undernieth there (I know Arnout wasn't that tender about this :facesjump ) .

Pictures of the floor after application of the special tar/rubber/wax material that you do car floors with (not sure of the right term)

This is jet black trust me, just look grayish because of the camera's flash light. It looks better on the front fender area:

Hey Danny remember that nice silver finish that was on the car originally? Well it's "magically" gone "a tone or two darker", especially inside ;) .

After two coats of colour you can see that we haven't managed to totally mask the rust bullet and in some areas on the inside it shows through. Tomorrow or Monday we'll apply at least another coat if not two so as to disappear all the greyness.

The car is primed on the ouside too:

You can see here under the black mk2s' nose cone my aluminum mkiii radiator lying on the standard unit. We fabricated a couple of support brackets for that and also altered/modified the top holders so as to utilise the mkiii units.

Some engine bay shots:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Wow!!! Gorgeous restore work ... I think one of the best jobs I've seen yet. Definitely keep us posted .... love the photos. So cool to see the progress you've made!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
karaki said:
Wow buddy...this is amazing. You're really making me want to tear into my mk2...that is exactly what i want to do to my car. Keep up the wicked work and keep is in the loop as i'm as Im sure you'll have question or 2 when trying to put her back together ;).
George, you can say that again man. I will certainly need all the help I can get from you people to put her back together. I only discovered the magic of the digital camera after I stripped the whole car off :suicide: . All I managed to do prior to disassemby was bagging and labeling all the bolts and pieces, no photos I'm afraid :frown: . Mind you I'm only greek so this is well over-organized for us lot :zzzzz:

Speed Racer said:
Wow!!! Gorgeous restore work ... I think one of the best jobs I've seen yet. Definitely keep us posted .... love the photos. So cool to see the progress you've made!
Thanks a lot for your comments, they really mean a lot coming from people that have dealt with supras considering how hard to find they're here in greece and how inexperienced we are with them.

Here's another picture with one of the most notoriously rust prone areas of our cars showing how I hope I will detere any future problems

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok here's something I've been looking for a while and I still haven't managed to tackle: I'm after som SEM or Krylon vinyl spray that is unfortunatelly not available in Europe. Among many other things that I've bought from the states I tried to buy these too but due to the chemical nature of these products no shop would send them air-mail. Anyone has any ideas/suggestions to overcome this? I could paypal some money to anyone that could buy these on my behalf and ship them over as a personal/non-commercial parcel.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Yannis, I have to tell you that I am amazed !!
There is not a single bolt / wire left on this car..
Talk about a deep restoration...
Wish you memory flasbacks when you re-install the wiring, specially
the ones behing the dash, or where it should be !

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RedP85 said:
Yannis, I have to tell you that I am amazed !!
There is not a single bolt / wire left on this car..
Talk about a deep restoration...
Wish you memory flasbacks when you re-install the wiring, specially
the ones behing the dash, or where it should be !
Well...I was actually hopping that the more experienced fellow cs members will chime in when the time comes cause I remember zip :mofomad:

·
Registered
930 Posts
This is the only way to do a colour change (in my opinion)
It's an awful lot of work, but if you're not prepared to do it, just repaint in the original colour.

Niiiice work

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
There is a thread somewhere around with some pics of wiring / components with the dash removed. I did a quick search but didn't find it.
Hope the one(s) with hi res pics will chime in !

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
This is a work of art sir. I applaud you (and would like a home address so me and the flat-bed can come visit as soon as she's back together). I wish you the best of luck with the finish and assembly.

--BillyM

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
RedP85 said:
There is a thread somewhere around with some pics of wiring / components with the dash removed. I did a quick search but didn't find it.
Hope the one(s) with hi res pics will chime in !
I have a whole whack of photos from when I tore apart my dash to do a heater core, but even that might not go far enough back to the firewall for him.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
incredible, awsome work man!

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Very very nice. I will be doing a similar restore/build up on my black 86 eventually. I also have to do my heater core soon in my 85 so I will be taking plenty of pics as well. I might take the opertunity to restore a couple things under there as well so I may go a little deeper then Slip did.

Those spots where you had rust, every supra I've owned has had it there too.

1 - 20 of 368 Posts