321 - 340 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Oh my god!
That baby got boobs!))

Grat job!!
Thanks, that's just paper work though. Far far far from getting it done.

I know that most people on this forum are quite conservative on the mkii's look and they are purists as far as restorations go. All the above are stated in the most positive and respectfull manner.

So bearing that in mind I understand that not many people will like, let alone appreciate all the exterior alterations that I want to perform.

This is all good by me, I fully respect everyone in this forum that has a decent, justified opinion. After all its the purist, most conservative members of this forum that have helped me out the most with their knowledge on the car.

So even knowing that most people will dislike and disaprove what I want to do on the car I'm fully content with myself that I'm one step closer to making it just the way I want it to be.

To put it differently if I won't be able to build the exterior of the car to my liking I would prefer leaving it to rot rather than put it back together to its stock exterior shape regardless of the huge amount of work put into it already.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
sweet! not a fan of the door though, the fact that it doesn't line up with the rear quarter. I'd rather the sideskirt just continue and come up to the front flare (tapering) to tie your quarter panel in. It just looks like you got the door from a different car or something. it doesn't flow well.

It looks like it's going to look awesome though, if exectued properly! How many more projects can you come up with!?!

keep up the great work, yannis
Man you just spotted that right away! This is something that I'm still thinking of.

The best way that door would look is if it'd line up to the rear quarter. That's how I set it up first but that left a bigger step showing on the side skirt which I hate.

I'm thinking of sticking that rear portion of the door back in and see if I can come up with something with the upper sideskirt line.

I'm honestly impressed that you detected that flaw (that bothers me as well anyway) straight away!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
A bit strange - i got 9.5 wide rear rims with -19 offset
and car doesnt even want to be widened))
Well my rear wheels are 10" with -17 offset. Effectively though the offset is far less. Let me elaborate;

The rear bell flange is 11mm thicker. I have also added a 30mm spacer. Finally I want to replace my wheel's exterior rim with a 1" wider one. That would make my wheel 11" wide with -30 offset.

So basically what you see in the pictures is an 11" wheel with -71 offset. This results in a 1.91-1.92m rear track width.

If I won't be able to come up with a solution on the wheels exterior wider rim the whole thing will end up 1" (2.5cm) narrower and so will the over fender.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
haha! I'm sure you'll get it worked out in due time. Here's a widebody mk3 on supramania that may serve as some inspiration to refine your design. I think it looks great! unlike his, though...I think you definitely need the fender flare style widebody like what you have so far. But this may give you some ideas how to blend it all together.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I'm glad you have regain interest in your project,

seeing where you want to go, it is not surprising that your previous body shop was afraid
to do something that extremme!

You will always amaze me !

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
interesting wide body mock up. im not sure how i feel about it, but hey, its your car. props for all the work.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 · (Edited)
haha! I'm sure you'll get it worked out in due time. Here's a widebody mk3 on supramania that may serve as some inspiration to refine your design. I think it looks great! unlike his, though...I think you definitely need the fender flare style widebody like what you have so far. But this may give you some ideas how to blend it all together.
You missed hookin up the link buddy but I'm sure you're talking about tekdeus's cherry mkiii. You see that's why I said what I said earlier on about people not diggin my ideas on the exterior work, I really really don't like that car but there's no way I can not appreciate the huge amount of work and attention to detail paid on, let alone the quality of execution. I really dislike the way the rear wide body has been done as it makes the car look even shorter from the door back as well as it looks too rounded and swollen for my liking. The bumpers and sideskirts look quite old school too but that's just my opinion.

I'm actually very happy with the fact that the owner of the car is chuffed with the result and he loves it, that's what really matters, nothing else.

In regards with the door/sideskirt/rear qurter is this what you meant:

There's another tiny twist I have in mind in the way that air vent box folds upwards that may improve the look and make it a bit more natural but I'll check that tomorrow.
Very good idea on making the upper sideskirt sheet oblique non the less though (that's what I understood by your suggestion anyway :) ).

I'm glad you have regain interest in your project,

seeing where you want to go, it is not surprising that your previous body shop was afraid
to do something that extremme!

You will always amaze me !
Jocelyn trust me on this; firstly all that bodywork is not that difficult. It took me about 18 hours total (net working time) to design and finish everything off, in cardboard I know. But there are advantages in working with sheet metal in contrast with the flimsy, unstable carton.

And secondly that bodyshop I had the car all this time do extreme bodywork only and if and when they decide to work they are very, very good.

A slight example of their work that would make my project seem like a plain bumper replacement job to them:

One off, hand made Opel Speedster:

won every single bodywork contest it took place last year.

One off, hand made Mazda Rx7 FC:

So really what I had in mind was not that extreme to them at all, that's what infuriated me; knowing that they could easily execute the task but they just didn't bother.

interesting wide body mock up. im not sure how i feel about it, but hey, its your car. props for all the work.
Thanks for the props sir.
As I said myself before, I fully understand why someone might not like my perception of beauty in regards to the mkii styling.

Exactly the same thing with the mkiii that was mentioned above on my behalf.

Question:
Do you think it's worth the try of making the doors something similar to the Opel Speedster ones shown above? I mean make a recess all along the door that would lead to the rear air vent.

That way I could cover the sideskirt step and make the door more of a part of the whole scheme.

As it is the door is the least involving, untouched panel of the side and it may look out of place.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Yannis you just took this to a whole new level :thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Awesome project! keep up the good work.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Hey Yannis, glad to see you got the bug back and are working on the car again, me too infact!

I'll give you a little advice though from someone who suffers from the same infliction as you. Concentrate on completely finishing your other projects first. eg, completely finish off your brake upgrade, mk3 climate control system, motor, sunroof etc. The more half complete projects left, and the more you jump around from project to project everytime you get an inspiration to try something new, the longer it will take to get the car done (if ever). I've been battling this with my new motor build and engine bay reworking. Theres so many things I want to do and new ideas I've gotten while performing this work, but I know if I start on them theres no way the car will be on the road for this summer (if ever) so I have to be strict with myself and make plans to come back later after the car is on the road and perform the modifications another time.

For your door issue, why couldn't you just revert the inner contour of the fender to stock so everything lines up as it did before? You can still have your giant vent and the skirt lining up with it, but theres really no reason to change the body line inside the vent.

I will answer your pm soon, I'm about to head out back to the shop ;)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Yannis you just took this to a whole new level :thumbsup:
Awesome project! keep up the good work.

Thanks for the supportive comments guys!

Hey Yannis, glad to see you got the bug back and are working on the car again, me too infact!

I'll give you a little advice though from someone who suffers from the same infliction as you. Concentrate on completely finishing your other projects first. eg, completely finish off your brake upgrade, mk3 climate control system, motor, sunroof etc. The more half complete projects left, and the more you jump around from project to project everytime you get an inspiration to try something new, the longer it will take to get the car done (if ever). I've been battling this with my new motor build and engine bay reworking. Theres so many things I want to do and new ideas I've gotten while performing this work, but I know if I start on them theres no way the car will be on the road for this summer (if ever) so I have to be strict with myself and make plans to come back later after the car is on the road and perform the modifications another time.
Hey Seamus, how are you doin buddy?
Yeap I'm back once again...

I appreciate the advice and I understand why you might think that way but let me just lay down how I plan on doing this whole thing; You know the most important part of the project (or projects if you will) is the car body itself. That's my priority ONE.

So I want to finish off all the exterior bodywork, everything and then have it painted. That way I won't mess up the interior (if I'd fitted it first) or my engine bay if I'd finish that off). After I complete everything and I mean everything, I'll have the car painted one more time as I'm sure that during the reassembly process there will be smaller or bigger (I hope not) mishaps. The difference is that there won't be any glassfibre, fabrication, welding work on that second time, only a repaint job which obviously is much more neat and will not mess things up that much.

The brakes are done like two years ago, every single part. I'm not gonna fit them on the car at this stage and have my beautifully powder coated calipers and anodized bells all messed up with bondo, primer and sanding residues.

The sunroof panel work is done as well. I just need to reassemble all the parts back together and fit it on the car but I'd have to finish off the roof bodywork so bodywork again is imparative for the complete sunroof assembly to be fitted.
And to be honest even if that wasn't the case at this stage and at the state the car is currently where nothing has been done to it, I find fidling with the sunroof details pointless and totally out of time. It's like setting up my suspension when I have not fitted the interior and engine on the car!

And about the motor; my mechanic who is a very good buddy of mine and a supraholic himself insisted and made me realize that the bodywork and paint job should be finished first if I don't want all my powder coated bits 'n' pieces, ss braided hoses and anodized ends etc end up all messed up with primer, over paint and any other crap.

And as far as the mk3 climate control, this is part of the interior work which will be dealt with when the body is ready and maybe the engine bay also as the way I see it I'd like to have all the wiring and stuff coming from the engine bay sorted out and then refit the dash and everything else inside.

The one most important half complete project that holds everything else up is the exterior bodywork. As soon as I get that out of the way things will get back on route.

For your door issue, why couldn't you just revert the inner contour of the fender to stock so everything lines up as it did before? You can still have your giant vent and the skirt lining up with it, but theres really no reason to change the body line inside the vent.

I will answer your pm soon, I'm about to head out back to the shop ;)
You lost me there buddy! Are you talking about the rear fender? If so there's no change inside the vent.

I have done and thought of a couple more changes that should resolve the door issue and deal with the unwanted side skirt step to my liking. I'll update on that soon.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Ok, here's my take on the tailgate:

As can be seen right above I have extended the upper door sheet metal border by about 10cm so as to have the window fall behind the rear passengers head area. Also I have given the window an inclination towards the rear, unlike the JDM version with the generic window which I thought looked hideous.

Also I have leveled the plane with the bulge that's at the bottom of the stock window and have incorporated a small lip spoiler.

Actually I want to get the 85-86 stock spoiler, replicate the bottom, widen it as necessary and integrate that at the end of the door so it looks more like a supra tailgate.

Also I want to build a slightly bigger version of the roof part of the stock spoiler to cover the extended sheet metal.

I don't know if this will end up being made by sheet metal welded on the stock door or have it moulded and replicated in fibreglass.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i like it when someone goes against the grain and does something different.

Not when it turns out shit, but yeah in this case i think you are doin well.
I respect the amount of work that is going into this.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Hey Yannis. As for the door, what I was trying to say is if you undo the stepped portion on the lower half of the fender (the area the vent empties into) you don't need to step up the door to make it match. Theres no real reason to have a step on the fender there.

Well if you're happy with where things are at elsewhere keep on pluggin. Personally though I'm going to try and get my car on the road ASAP and break my upgrade path into seperate stages that I can do over the years instead of having the car off the road for eons while I do everything at once.

Interesting rear end treatment there. Why lower the roofline on the hatch though? Theres not much areodynamic reason to do so and it reduces the rearward visibilty and doesn't really do much for looks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Hey Yannis. As for the door, what I was trying to say is if you undo the stepped portion on the lower half of the fender (the area the vent empties into) you don't need to step up the door to make it match. Theres no real reason to have a step on the fender there.
Seamus I still don't understand what you're referring to bud :confused:...!
I have made no alterations at all on the lower rear fender area where the air vent is. The problem with the door arises by the fact that the car is some 16-18cm wider at the rear and about 10cm at the front. If you bear in mind that from the molding down the mk2 is narrowing by another 10cm roughly that results in a huge "step like" side skirt which I really don't like the look of. So to reduce that visible step I have added some width on the door under the molding (begins flush on the molding line and ends up about 4-5cm wider at the bottom end of the door. That resulted on the awkward angle that shows on the door/lower rear fender area because of the very reason that I had done nothing on the lower rear fender itself to give it a more natural continuation of the door's width and eliminate the door protrusion.

Interesting rear end treatment there. Why lower the roofline on the hatch though? Theres not much areodynamic reason to do so and it reduces the rearward visibilty and doesn't really do much for looks.
The reason I have lowered the roofline is so that the new glass will start it's almost vertical drop behind the rear passengers headroom so as to retain all the space that was there with the stock window. If I hadn't done so I'd ended up with something like the generic jdm tailgate that eliminates any headroom for the rear passengers.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Your confusion lies in your wording. Quaters are quaters,the only fenders on a car are on the front. If I was talking about the rear "fenders" as you've been calling them, I would have said quater. You're thinking I'm talking about the rear brake vents when I've actually been talking about the vents that empty from the wheel wells on the fenders. That whole ridge on the edge of the fender next to the door is unnecesary, loose it and you don't need to add any stepping to the door.

Makes sense I guess for the rear passengers... if your concerned about having rear passengers I guess :p Mines already a 2 seater. I'm not sure its going to look great if you keep it as a hatch with that roofline extension.

321 - 340 of 368 Posts