Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
341 - 360 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 · (Edited)
Your confusion lies in your wording. Quaters are quaters,the only fenders on a car are on the front. If I was talking about the rear "fenders" as you've been calling them, I would have said quater. You're thinking I'm talking about the rear brake vents when I've actually been talking about the vents that empty from the wheel wells on the fenders. That whole ridge on the edge of the fender next to the door is unnecesary, loose it and you don't need to add any stepping to the door.

Makes sense I guess for the rear passengers... if your concerned about having rear passengers I guess :p Mines already a 2 seater. I'm not sure its going to look great if you keep it as a hatch with that roofline extension.
Duh :duh: ok gotcha now :rolleyes:...

So you have been talking about the front vent all this time...:laugh:

Ok, you see the problem there is that apart from the mid portion of the fender/door area where that ridge will be eliminated (I just left it there for no reason really) at the bottom portion there is significant width gained on the fender that has to be continued towards the rear, under the door, forming the side skirt. And that results in the unwanted step that I've been trying to disguise.

See here:

It's the width B that makes all the difference. Now, I'll cut off the ridge right below the upper widening of the fender to the molding. Below the molding everything has to be widened in proportion.

If I was to try to go around this in order to keep the inward swerve of the doors (and the rest of the body) that's there as you go lower on the body, that in my eyes would make the super swelling at the rear look hideous and out of place. Of course when talking about aesthetics it's always a subjective matter of opinion and taste!

As far as the roofline extension try to picture that it will be covered by a stock like 84-86, a bit bigger though, roof spoiler. So at the end you won't be able to see the extension at all.

If I could I would had that extension made by glass or lexan maybe in order to keep visibility but this will show as the whole thing progresses and comes together.

And yes, I do intend to keep full trim and retain this as much as a street car as possible. My dream is to be able to use it as an everyday car if I wanted to.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I like it. Very sleek and subtle.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
Yannis! Where are you at?

Also, this thread would do very well in the buildup category.
Being so so so unmotivated lately, having run onto more obstacles to achieving my ideal, utopic supra that has resulted in making me even more distanced to the car and working on it.

I wanted to take everything apart again and fit the a70 rear subframe, suspension and diff but from what it seems I will stick to the a60 drivetrain and suspension after all. Don't ask why, how, what, when I'll get back to it details of the story will be unveiled.

Trying to sort out my Rx7 FD for the last 15 months with no luck has not helped in creating a positive mojo either...

This is the main reason for total lack of motivation as nothing seems to work out.

And to think that I bought the FD a little less than two years ago so that I'll get to drive a decent car until I finish the mkii...:32:

·
Registered
199 Posts
It actually wouldn't be too hard to make a mould. Alot of guys have just lightly adhered tin foil to the surface, and then fiberglassed over the tin foil. The foil peels off really well afterwards, and then you can go from there ;)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
X thnx for the tip! It'll take a while and a few good things to happen for me to get back to the bodykit work though. Your suggestion as well as working with polyurethane foam to form the prorotypes to mould would be the ways to go I reckon.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Hey yannis! Sorry to hear about the loss of inspiration again, you were on a good roll there for awhile. Shoot me an email if you want to chat about stuff some more, maybe I can help. I got really busy for awhile there when we were talking last, I've got a little more free time these days, but not alot.

·
Registered
199 Posts
X thnx for the tip! It'll take a while and a few good things to happen for me to get back to the bodykit work though. Your suggestion as well as working with polyurethane foam to form the prorotypes to mould would be the ways to go I reckon.
Yeah, the foam would be best. Then do the foil and fiberglass afterwards. The foam would really let you sculpt, and shape it :) That thing would look sick!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
It actually wouldn't be too hard to make a mould. Alot of guys have just lightly adhered tin foil to the surface, and then fiberglassed over the tin foil. The foil peels off really well afterwards, and then you can go from there ;)
In case that doesn't translate well, "tin foil" is "Aluminum foil." (I don't think actual tin (Sn) foil has been produced in the Western World in 50 years) - though "tin" is used to describe any sheet of thin silvery metal, like tin can. I've found AL foil does come in varying thicknesses - the stuff from the Dollar Store (from China) is very thin and rips easily; the restaurant stuff is much thicker/stronger.

·
Registered
346 Posts
New to the forums and lookin at your car, OMG, THAT IS BEAUTIFUL, cant wait to see the pics of the finished product, by the looks of it so far, its gonna look amazing

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
One day you'll get back into it man. Start small, finish one thing off at a time. I'd just leave the body stuff till later, get it running and drivable again first.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Summer 2012 i will be in greece again, maybe if i stop and see the car i can give yianni a bump in motivation
or feel free to have it finished to i can have a ride :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yannis keep going brother!

I went and did a bunch of custom fiberglass work on my MKII and it did look fawking great, but in the end I wanted more. So off came all the glass and I'm at the point where I wish I could just start building a tube frame chassis and put my own suspension and geometry and body and everything else. I started with the MkII because it has so many excellent attributes, but in the end I feel it would be better to build something from scratch. Sadly it isn't easy to build a one off car then go and get vins and registration and insurance here in CAN. So I'm back to the MkII and into some fantastic sheet metal work. It's necessary to accommodate the front sub frame repositioning (forward ((think front-mid engine))).

The reason I share this with you is to re-ignite some of your Supra passion (of which you must have a lot). You've gone above and beyond what most MkII owners consider in the realms of modification. Consider MkIII rear subframe..

Please continue your project Yannis! Not for me nor the Supra forums or anyone else, but for your own satisfaction, for the pleasure driving her will surely bring. Your talented and committed, don't let any set backs change that!

Go Yannis GO!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
Yannis keep going brother!

I went and did a bunch of custom fiberglass work on my MKII and it did look fawking great, but in the end I wanted more. So off came all the glass and I'm at the point where I wish I could just start building a tube frame chassis and put my own suspension and geometry and body and everything else. I started with the MkII because it has so many excellent attributes, but in the end I feel it would be better to build something from scratch. Sadly it isn't easy to build a one off car then go and get vins and registration and insurance here in CAN. So I'm back to the MkII and into some fantastic sheet metal work. It's necessary to accommodate the front sub frame repositioning (forward ((think front-mid engine))).

The reason I share this with you is to re-ignite some of your Supra passion (of which you must have a lot). You've gone above and beyond what most MkII owners consider in the realms of modification. Consider MkIII rear subframe..

Please continue your project Yannis! Not for me nor the Supra forums or anyone else, but for your own satisfaction, for the pleasure driving her will surely bring. Your talented and committed, don't let any set backs change that!

Go Yannis GO!!
Damn, thnx for all the kudos my friend!!!
I honestly think my passion has run out. It's been over two years that I last laid a hand on my mkii and I think it's because I realized that I had so many high expectations that actually can not be met...
I honestly don't know what could possibly give my the motivation to get back on track - if there is anything at all that is...

341 - 360 of 368 Posts