Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
361 - 368 of 368 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
I don't think your problem was that your expectations were too great Yannis, I think you just took on too much at once and didn't focus on one thing at a time. Break all of your mods and problems into seperate tasks and just tackle one thing at a time and the whole project won't be so overwhelming. Too many car enthusisats make that mistake. They take their car off the road, come up with a huge plan to redo every aspect of their car and then dive in. Years go by and they realize just how much work and money it will take to finish the car and the task seems so daunting that it becomes very easy to loose focus and ambition. Personally I try not to work on one mod till I've completley finished the last and I try to return the car to a road worthy state after each as well. Its not always possible but it sure helps. Its been several years since I awakened my black beast from a 7 year sleep and I've been able to keep it going ever since and its been fantasitic and brought me so much enjoyment. I'm quite enjoying my car in its slow evolution to supercardom, and every stage in between. You could do it too Yannis, come on man, give it another shot ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yannis,

I have to agree with Suprafiend on this one, as well! We enthuiasts often find ourselves over commiting due to our super creative imaginations and inspirations... Then it can be hard to get back! I have done it too many times as well and have decided to limit my projects so that I can continue to enjoy the car along the way...

Have you felt the boost of that 7MGE-TT yet? If you were enjoying that, it would be enough to keep you going and coming back...

Projects this large have to end up being, "One success set upon another success!" Not ideas set upon other ideas!

Regards,

Carlos

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yannis,

I just spent the last two hours reading through your thread. You've done some great work on this car, both engineering, artistic and fabrication. I actually cringed at some of your ideas out of intimidation, then felt relief seeing the real progress you made to making it happen. That sunroof work is impressive, you've definitely done most of the work to bringing it to a reality. That AC system looked close to completion after hanging it all in place. And that wide-body work looks great, very original and fitting for your car.

If I were you man, I'd recommend that you pull the car out, clean off all the dust and shoot some photos and post them here. You'll get loads of comments and motivation from the forum. That's what keeps me going for long projects, having other people to keep me motivated when I'm down (and there are definitely some down times!) Do you "wrench" alone or do you have some gear head buddies? If you do, whenever you're going to work on it again, buy some beer and pizza (or Ouzo and gyros!), invite a couple over with the plan to get some wrenching done.

One other thing.... maybe you shouldn't shoot for a finished, refined and completed project. You are obviously a tinkerer, so I would recommend that you paint the car in black primer since you're probably going to want to redo something soon after anyhow :-D

Also, as an engineer friend of mine likes to say, in order to get anything done you have to have a plan and a schedule... then don't stray from it. Plan our what you want to do to get it on the road and driving... then estimate the times it'll take to get those done... then make a schedule... then don't deviate from it, especially in regards to the task list.... once you've completed the items in that schedule, plan all the ideas that have been in the back of your head and start on them. One good idea is to never take your car off the road for more than 2-3 months once it's back on the road... driving it keeps the motivation up! :-D

Anyhow man, I hope this doesn't come off as a lecture... You've taken on a massive challenge and then added more to it as you went. Now it looks like an impossible task. Nothing is impossible... Like they say, the Parthenon wasn't built in a day. Attack one project at a time and stay focused on it until it is complete (sunroof first, AC/dash second, etc). The completion of each project will give you the satisfaction and confidence to continue thru the end.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I were you man, I'd recommend that you pull the car out, clean off all the dust and shoot some photos and post them here. You'll get loads of comments and motivation from the forum.
Quoted for truth, and perhaps an update? ;) You did some amazing work on this car Yannis. it's been a few years, I hope you finally got to finishing it up!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 ·
Hello to everyone!

I guess that's a LONG, LONG overdue update that I owe to everyone that has been following and supporting me during this project.
The real sad news is that it's highly unlikely that I'll carry any more work on the car since my last updates any time soon...or ever!
I can assure everyone though that not a single bolt has been dispersed, nor have I any intentions of selling anything out, even if it's been over 10 years since the last time I have laid a hand on the car and regardless of all the adversities I've been through.
Everything is still there, in the same state it was left, not a single part gone from the..."original" collection!

·
Founding Member
6,590 Posts
Wouldn't be the first 20+ year project. My last project went over five years and I think I read somewhere that was about average. When I was much younger I could get a major resto done in under a year, working late into the night every weeknight, but I don't have the energy anymore for late nights and can only manage maybe six hours a weekend between other responsibilities. Worse tho, besides restorations waiting, I've got several relatively minor "repairs" that I've procrastinated even starting on because once I begin, the car is immobilized and I'm afraid it'll be stuck on the lift for a year. Seems like everything I've started since age 50 has taken ten times longer than it would have when I was 25. I wish I could retire already so I could have the time to get all these cars done. I've seriously thought about joining the "Great Resignation" just to take a year off and get some progress made. If it weren't for health insurance (which gets more and more important as we get older) I'd do it.

Reactions: tstefan

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
Wouldn't be the first 20+ year project. My last project went over five years and I think I read somewhere that was about average. When I was much younger I could get a major resto done in under a year, working late into the night every weeknight, but I don't have the energy anymore for late nights and can only manage maybe six hours a weekend between other responsibilities. Worse tho, besides restorations waiting, I've got several relatively minor "repairs" that I've procrastinated even starting on because once I begin, the car is immobilized and I'm afraid it'll be stuck on the lift for a year. Seems like everything I've started since age 50 has taken ten times longer than it would have when I was 25. I wish I could retire already so I could have the time to get all these cars done. I've seriously thought about joining the "Great Resignation" just to take a year off and get some progress made. If it weren't for health insurance (which gets more and more important as we get older) I'd do it.
I hear you Phil, I wish it was my old age that has been the cause of the hault in my case too...
It started off with my loss of interest after been repeatedly let down by shops and technicians when I had all the resources and time in the world for such project, and then gradually it got to the point where the time, and later on the resources, were not available anymore.
I can't see, realistically, of getting the chance to turn things back to that point again, so it feels almost an impossibility to manage to complete the car... 😔

361 - 368 of 368 Posts