Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out driving the supra and I was following my dad. He drives a 93 Buick Skyklark 3.3 v6 auto. We were playing around for a while, and we end up at a light. We were both in the right lane, which ends, and there was an old cavalier in the left. Light turns green and we all stomp it. We beat the cavalier, and I went out to pass him. I redlined 2nd, shifted hard, then redlined 3rd, shifted hard, and still I couldnt get him. Somewhere toward the upper end of 4th we gave up, since going 100+ in a 55 is not recommended :) He didnt beat me, but I didnt beat him either; we were DEAD even. I talked to him, and he was to the floor, as was I. Now I didnt hit 1st as hard as I could, since I was behind him, but once I started racing I was all out. I think I could have had him from the line, but damn! Before, he didnt believe the supra was worthy as a fast car, but now he thinks its "allright" :) He comes from the muscle car days, so I could understand. Funny, I didnt know my dad was into racing anymore.....

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
I had a '90 Skylark with the 3.1. It was surprisingly quick for a four door. Faster than my current Talon, but not as quick as my MK II.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
When I saw the topic for this post, I was a little concerned :shock: -- but I'm glad it was just about you and your Dad racing a Cavalier and then each other.

Very cool story though, I'm glad you guys had fun. My Dad drives a Chevy Blazer with 4.3 liter V6, so racing him wouldn't be any fun. I've driven it (it's a 2001) and it's nice and all, but it's no race car.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Must be cool having a cool Dad like that. 8)

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
my dad wants to race me when my cars up and about...

i think not... i dont want to get killed by a 96 gmc 3/4 ton :?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His is the 2-door, and like you said, is surprisingly fast. One of his friends has a supercharged 98 or 99 regal, and damn. I wouldnt race that :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dzone said:
Must be cool having a cool Dad like that. 8)
He is awesome. And, as far as I know, the only other human being who can drive my cutlass without killing either himself, the car, or dozens of innocent bystanders :)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
do you have a 6M or 5M?
Your dad is cool, I know I'll beat the living crap of my dads 4 banger Tacoma :wink: :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dads can be cool that's for sure. Mine owned my first Cuda before I did. He bought it new! He also helped build the drag cars we had,.. '68 small block and '74 big bock Cudas.
Too bad he's gone now, he would LOVE my 6M MkII!!!
Jamie

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
My Mom had a '70 Chevy Nova SS and a Pontiac LeMans when she was younger. She loved the Nova.

·
Registered
120 Posts
MK2Racer said:
He comes from the muscle car days, so I could understand. Funny, I didnt know my dad was into racing anymore.....
I can understand your dad, I'm 45, and I love it when the kids roll up to me and don't expect me to hit it. I was into the muscle cars for years, I had 67 Ply with 383PI. Only thing that beat it was a Lambagini in Germany. Car was clocked up to 189mph. (Open throttle, downhill with a tail wind). MK2, never heard of them, only started driving one because out of necessity.. Now I would not give it up... (Don't let your dad drive it.... LOL )

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL Ive tried to get him to. He seems convinced it is a 4-cylinder for some reason, and he is against 4-cyl's, wont touch em. One day Ill make him drive it and he will love it, Im sure. Who couldnt love a Supra?

·
Registered
120 Posts
MK2Racer said:
LOL Ive tried to get him to. He seems convinced it is a 4-cylinder for some reason, and he is against 4-cyl's, wont touch em. One day Ill make him drive it and he will love it, Im sure. Who couldnt love a Supra?
My dad.. when I took him for a ride, he kept grabbing the dashboard... LOL

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mine is almost the opposite. He doesn't drive my car because he would get into trouble. Of course, he has some "interesting" stories about driving old school Zs, and says the Mk II handles a lot like a 280z, so I don't doubt it. Then there is his story about test driving the hemi Cuda... why don't they make cars like that anymore?!!!

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
Magnus said:
My dad.. when I took him for a ride, he kept grabbing the dashboard... LOL
Sounds like my Grandpa when I take him anywhere...

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
Sparky said:
Mine is almost the opposite. He doesn't drive my car because he would get into trouble. Of course, he has some "interesting" stories about driving old school Zs, and says the Mk II handles a lot like a 280z, so I don't doubt it. Then there is his story about test driving the hemi Cuda... why don't they make cars like that anymore?!!!
They do:

Mustang Cobra SVT and Mach 1
Viper
Corvette

And until this year the Camaro and Firebird were still with us.

New (Australian made) GTO due next year, and the SSR pickup is supposed to be a hot truck.

Too bad most of them are too expensive.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
expensive, just like the hemi cudas were.

remember folks, 3500+ bucks was a LOT of money back then (Corvette territory), and im pretty sure a hemi was more expensive than that.

there will always be fast cars, sometimes they might not be numerous, but hey, even during the 80s fast cars were around (buick regal T-type/gnx anyone??)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Its just the price vs speed ratio. Yes, cudas were expensive (though nowhere near my personal favorate of the era, the Shelby Cobra). But bang for your buck you could get something really cheap with a lot of power; something you could buy working full time over the summer at a warehouse, etc. Now all the muscle cars are sooo damned expensive (vettes, vipers, SVT cobras) that all us poo folks can do is dream :mad:

·
Registered
155 Posts
ok first of all.. vipers and such arent the real muscle cars.. not in my perspective anyway. the fastbacks the nice old mopar's and i guess some of the chevys.. but vipers??? na man id never concider that a muscle car.. same as the new vetes.. to me htere no muscle car.. theyve got alot of power and all. but the only muscle cars to me are mid 60's to mid 70's... anyway t hats just my view...

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Sparky said:
Its just the price vs speed ratio. Yes, cudas were expensive (though nowhere near my personal favorate of the era, the Shelby Cobra). But bang for your buck you could get something really cheap with a lot of power; something you could buy working full time over the summer at a warehouse, etc. Now all the muscle cars are sooo damned expensive (vettes, vipers, SVT cobras) that all us poo folks can do is dream :mad:
you can put a healthy down payment on a camaro or mustang busting your ass over the summer.... or go into the trades, at least up here, i know 19 year olds making 4000+ a month.
also, i asked my dad, who was a welder back in the day and he said even on the wages he was making, no way could you go and buy outright a hemi cuda or corvette.

he figures maybe a nova SS, if you cheaped out on options, even camaros were pretty pricey back then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts