Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this for 10 years next month. It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned, which is pretty impressive for something 25 years old. Sorry I don't have any interior or engine shots, but trust me, they're as clean as the outside. I've put 14k miles on it in 10 years (111k total now), have autocrossed it a few times just for the hell of it, and hope to hand it down to my son someday when I'm getting too old to drive. Okay, maybe when I'm dead he can drive it. I had one like it brand new in '85, but, unfortunately, like a lot of young guys, I didn't give it the care it deserved and eventually sold it. So, when this one came up for sale I tried to make amends. I'd have to be starving to ever consider selling it.

Just bought my 1st Supra last week, so it's kind of like my exciting new mistress, but the MR is definitely my wife! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
637 Posts
need a kidney? lol
clean car, love it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should've mentioned it earlier, but back in '85 when I had my own new '85 MR2, my mom had an '84 Supra P type, the cool maroon/mahogany one, and we were both driving somewhere together -- I don't remember where to -- in our own cars, and next thing you know we're racing each other from a red light. I got the hole-shot and beat her by a few car lengths up to about 70 mph before we had to back off (this was in a 40 mph zone). I never thought my car was faster than hers, but I was pretty sure I was a better driver! Probably not many guys out there that can say they've drag-raced against their mom, eh?

My brother told her over the past weekend that I had found a nice Supra like hers and she told him that she was pissed she didn't find it first. She's 72 years old! She's originally from Scotland and had two brothers who worked at the Jaguar factory in England, so maybe that's where I picked up this car disease.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Very nice Mister 2. Looks just like my very first one. I bought mine in 87. It was a 15 month old used car when I bought it. I too only kept the car for a couple of years before I got rid of it. But then again my first MR-2 hated me. May you have many more happy years with your Yotas. :thumbsup:

Here's a picture of my first MR-2 taken around 1988.

The one in my signature was my 2nd Mr-2. I got rid of it when the head cracked at 193K.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice Mister 2. Looks just like my very first one. I bought mine in 87. It was a 15 month old used car when I bought it. I too only kept the car for a couple of years before I got rid of it. But then again my first MR-2 hated me. May you have many more happy years with your Yotas. :thumbsup:

Here's a picture of my first MR-2 taken around 1988.

The one in my signature was my 2nd Mr-2. I got rid of it when the head cracked at 193K.

Very cool to see one when it was 'almost' new. That's awesome that all your cars are classic Toyotas. Jealous that you have an FX16; I test drove one when they were new, but by that time I was too broke to buy it. Pretty much Toyota's GTI, without all the issues. Too bad they never got popular enough for Toyota to keep selling them. I know where there's one sitting under a tree next to the highway, I even stopped to look at it one day. It's totally intact, rust free, but has been sitting for some time now. It's an automatic. If it were a 5-spd, and I had the space, I might consider making a project out of it. Are they hard to convert to manual trans.? Kind of a shame to see it waste away like that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
very nice ride!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Very cool to see one when it was 'almost' new. That's awesome that all your cars are classic Toyotas. Jealous that you have an FX16; I test drove one when they were new, but by that time I was too broke to buy it. Pretty much Toyota's GTI, without all the issues. Too bad they never got popular enough for Toyota to keep selling them. I know where there's one sitting under a tree next to the highway, I even stopped to look at it one day. It's totally intact, rust free, but has been sitting for some time now. It's an automatic. If it were a 5-spd, and I had the space, I might consider making a project out of it. Are they hard to convert to manual trans.? Kind of a shame to see it waste away like that.
Thanks very much! We do have one "modern" car. My wifes 02 Mercedes Benz E320 wagon we picked up 2 years ago for a great deal. But since this is a Toyota site and some people think a Benz is elitist I don't mention it. :laugh:

The FX16 is a fun car. I looked at them when they were new also but being a typical 22 yr old at the time I wanted the faster and cooler MR-2. Nearly the same gas mileage as a MR-2 but lots of useable room for a small car and a blast to drive. I can't comment on how hard it would be to make it a 5-speed but I can say that putting a new clutch in ours really was not that bad a job. Oh, and they are incredibly reliable. Ours now has 255K on it and runs like a dream. My daughter loves her little car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks very much! We do have one "modern" car. My wifes 02 Mercedes Benz E320 wagon we picked up 2 years ago for a great deal. But since this is a Toyota site and some people think a Benz is elitist I don't mention it. :laugh:

The FX16 is a fun car. I looked at them when they were new also but being a typical 22 yr old at the time I wanted the faster and cooler MR-2. Nearly the same gas mileage as a MR-2 but lots of useable room for a small car and a blast to drive. I can't comment on how hard it would be to make it a 5-speed but I can say that putting a new clutch in ours really was not that bad a job. Oh, and they are incredibly reliable. Ours now has 255K on it and runs like a dream. My daughter loves her little car.
Indeed the FXs were fun. That's great it's got that many miles on it and still runs like a top. I guess my MR2 is truly just breaking in!

Shit, put the Benz on your signature. Nothing wrong with a little one-upmanship! But I hear what you're saying. I have 7 bikes and scooters, but didn't put them on my signature either for similar reasons.

·
Registered
434 Posts

I say if you got it flaunt it. we're all car lovers plus someone may have that same car on this forum and have a question to ask u. i love that fx btw i've only seen one in my area and have always wanted one.

scoobynut: that mr2 is clean. there's a clean mk1 exactly like your's (silver)around my area......... I'm thinking about it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
scoobynut: that mr2 is clean. there's a clean mk1 exactly like your's (silver)around my area......... I'm thinking about it.
If it's exactly like mine, the mechanicals check out, and the $ are right, don't even think about it, jump on it! If it's an '85-86 make sure it doesn't have the 5th gear pop-out issue. If it's an '87-89 there's one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Your MR2 looks very nice, they are great cars. My wife drove the one pictured below for a long time, I didn't get to drive it much. We sold it recently, she found a 95 Celica Convertible she would rather have for a sunny day driver.
I have been searching for a later model MR2 turbo for quite some time now, hard to find with low miles/one owner.

There is a guy in town that drives the FX16 into work periodically, 5 speed and mint...I will snap a few photo's next time I see it, I have always liked those cars. I was such a toyota mini truck guy in the 80's, didn't take a 2nd look at the cars back then...hmmmm !!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took a look at the ad. Car seems like it's had some attention, not too bad at all. Beware, however, that the 'few small rust spots' might only be the tip of the iceberg with some more serious horrors lurking beneath. I saw a photo once of a MK1 MR2 that had had the rear quarter panel (which itself didn't look too bad) cut off, and the mess underneath was mind-boggling. I would be darn certain the car isn't too compromised by rust, especially for almost $3000. It's probably hard to find a minimally rusty car in that neck of the woods, but myself, I'd be very cautious. I guess we get a little spoiled out west with our dry-air cars, but patience, and a little willingness to travel (or pay a little extra for shipping), could land you a pretty clean car for similar or less money. In the end, you'll decide how much the rust bothers you -- fixing it properly could cost as much as your initial outlay -- but, in the end it all depends on what your intentions for the car are. My two cents.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts