Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realised...as I was under the hood I glanced at the production plate...

Date of Manufacture: September 1983

Woo Hoo!! Exactly 20 years ago my MK2 was born...When I think about that I begin to ponder all the experiences she must of went through before me. I've only owned her for 5 of those 20 long years and well, she's been kept rather quiet during that time...I remember when I first cleaned the interior and I took out the seats...I found some extremely old bottle caps and really old coins...when I found them I also thought, this car must of had some fun times and I can only begin to imagine how many different butts have sat in the seats...feels weird....20 years is a long time and this car is almost as old as me...

Anyway, join me in lifting a glass...a toast...to my MKII...20 years and still kicking...hopefully many more experiences and anniversaries to come in the future...this years restoration is my present and tribute to her...

:D

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
congrats, my 85 (oct 84) turns 19 next month....lol i don't have any twenty year olds yet....

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Yep, too many Supra B-Day's coming up.

The Silver Slug just turned 23 this month (Sept 80).

And the Redpra turns 19 in November (Nov. 84).

Cheers NIGHTS!! :D

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Congrats!

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Yeah, come to think about it, my '84 was manufactured in October of '83. So, one more for the b'day list.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I can't wait for my '85 to hit 20 (or the 20th aniversary of that model year).... no more emissions test. At the rate I drive it I will probably only have 115K kms by then.

·
Registered
310 Posts
U know what this means PARTY....
:bday: :beer: :boobs: :humpleg: :rockon: :drink: :drinking: :puke: :throwup: :twak:

·
Registered
830 Posts
my 86 turns.... lets see here... she turns 18 in november.

cartman- proud owner of the youngest mkII on the board :)

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
I was kind of thinking of what anniversaries might mean to the Celica Supras. In 1986, I began my second restoration project, a 1966 Mustang coupe, then only 20 years old. By then, there were already Mustang Clubs and Mustang Magazines, but of course the Mustang was sort of an icon being associated with the birth of the muscle car and that whole era, not to mention the fact that Ford cranked out more Mustangs in their first six months than Toyota crafted mk2 Supras in four-and-a-half years. Still, back then, unrestored, original Mustangs were the norm, quite plentiful and relatively cheap. I think I gave about $750 for my coupe and had about $4500 into it by the time it was finished in 88. Then in 1989, the 25th anniversary year, prices skyrocketed. My coupe was all of a sudden worth $6500. Prices fell back a bit as the fever wore off but have generally risen steadily since the mid-90s. Mustang is looking at its 40th anniversary next year so would be interesting to watch prices again, particularly for the Mustang II and Fox chassis versions that seemed to be all but ignored in the previous anniversaries.

One parallel with Mustang, however, was how Toyota celebrated the Supra's 15th in 97 with special badging just as did Ford in 89 and 99. I'm betting that we can take our cue from Toyota, figuring on an "official" 25th anniversary for the Supra to be hailed in the automotive press (if not by Toyota themselves) in the year 2007. In the sense that it delays our anniversary celebrations by a couple years, its unfortunate, but in our favor, its that first celebrated model generally that carries the banner for the rest of the line. As it was for the Mustang and even the first 6-cyl Corvette.

Its hard to predict what impact this might have on demand for, and prices for mk2s but I think its safe to say that we don't stand to lose much if anything on depreciation between now and then. Mustang hype built up for a year or more before each anniversary driven of course by Ford, which stood to sell more Mustangs in anniversary years. Without a current model Supra and corporate marketing, it will likely be up to us as owners, restorers and community members to build our own aplomb. Consider everyone, that we have basically three years. If we miss it, our next big chance will be probably 2022.

CelicaSupra is a great start. (Back in my Mustang days, we only got a cheesy newsletter every other month.) Paul Adams article in Practical Classics is however the kind of exposure that will get noticed by the general gearhead public as is also, exposure at local car shows which is something most all of us can do. NiGHTS, your restoration project will indeed be most influential in furthering our cause and right now is the perfect time to start. I'm starting a couple right with you.

Phil D.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Phil,

I agree w/ you on the car show thing... For me, July was a perfect example, when I took the Slug to the Baxters Historical Races in Portland. Of course, I had the only MKI & it surprised a few peeps... "OH, this is not a Celica"?? It did get quite a few compliments that weekend, considering how nice I try to keep it. So yes, even the Supra's root's/beginning's are getting some exposure..

So.... Does anyone have a 67 2000GT that we can borrow for the Vegas meet??? :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx heaps guys! :)

Phil, I too believe that one day these cars will indeed be 'classics' and will still be turning heads years down the track...I don't know what it's like over there, but they are already becoming quite rare here...owning one and keeping it in pristine condition will surely be something special as time goes on...especially if Toyota decide not to continue the car...

I must admit though, my MK2 has tried my patience on many an occassion. There was a time when I just wanted to get rid of her because of the amount of work that had to be done...but I keep thinking, I can't give some stranger the satisfaction of owning this unique car...lol...I get greedy. It's too good to sell...even when it's 20 years old. Personally I think these cars were ahead of their time...with all the stuff they have in them. Even some new cars today still don't have power windows, cruise control, IRS etc...a lot of cars in the 80's were still using carbies as well... :)

Nah, this car is too good. Whenever I get that thought of selling her, it's instantly washed away the moment I go for a ride...No matter what new car I get, there will always be a spot in the garage for the MK2. 8)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Amen to all above mentioned. My car will be 20 in Sept. of 2005 and i am looking forward to it. By then she will be back in show condition. I love this car so much. I currently drive a 2000 Cavalier donated by my parents. No such thing as power wondows or locks in that thing, and it only has a 3 speed automatic. It is funny that my car, which is 18 years old, is sooo much better than the almost new cavalier, o, and it cost a lot less too. :D

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
happy birthday to her, happy birthday to nights car... :)

mines an old biach, i think she turned 21 in january
guess ill have to check the build date to be sure.

·
Registered
516 Posts
LOL. you think that's something, my 1982 has a June 82 build date...ironically, the same month and year as my current girlfriend!They both celebrated their bdays in June. LOL, it's actually only two years younger than me! And I'm turning 23 this October 2nd. B

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Mine turned 21 this month - build date Sep. 1982 (sold new for 83 model year). She got new tires and an Alpine CD player for her birthday. :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
On a vaugely related topic, does anyone know how old your car has to be before you can apply for collector plates in Canada?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i think it depends what province, but i seem to recall something along the lines of 20 years.

maybe call the dmv or a registry office.

·
Registered
635 Posts
did everyone forget, supras came out in 1979 so that will make next yr the 25th aniversary.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts